Metals + Armour spell

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
science

Metals + Armour spell

Post by science »

For the wierdo combo casters which wear metal armor - is still still much point in using the armour spell?

Or would it just be for vs. spells at that point?

Thanks!
Mhoghedin

Re: Metals + Armour spell

Post by Mhoghedin »

Metal on a caster has many benefits which I feel outweigh the losses.

With the current MUME melee system, defense is gone and useless. When fighting 1 v 1, your opponent aims for your least protected spots, i.e. the ones without absorbtion.

As a caster, you can still recieve hard hits through your armour spell, but I have found that metal armor reduces the pain of these hits. For example:

Dwarf hits Mhoghedin the BN for 10 - 20 hps with just armour spell and plain clothes.

HOWEVER, with metal armour the hit will be reduced to 1 - 5hp. 10 being the max. Of course the drawback is that most casters have 10 - 12 strength, and 90lbs of armour is heavy on top of everything else you must carry. This can be offset with strength spell and travelling lore as puke.
Formerly a dastardly pirate of the Western Sea, he now contents
himself with rowing around the Greyflood of Tharbad in a canoe.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Over 1000 whities have been sent to Davey Jones' Locker.
science

Post by science »

Thanks...

a) So since the targeting system works so strongly (at least in pk) it doesn't make sense to just wear a metal breastplate, but maybe only fine chain in other areas?

b) If you have fine chain+armour spell and it shows 90% armour, is that the same 90% armour as someone who is wearing just metals? (Besides that it also affects spells). It seems like there are other subtle differences. Does the armour spell have any max absorb per hit/etc?
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

The armour percentage value shown while wearing physical armour and using magical armour is in no way equivalent to the same value obtained from only one of those types of abs used. In fact such a value has no real significance at all as far as I can tell, except possibly as a number to brag about like warriors could brag about OB or defence or whatever.

The calculation of the effect of any kind of applicable abs is done in steps. First the armour spell will have effect and absorb what it is supposed to do, then physical armour will do its job on the remaining damage and lastly sanctuary will come into effect on whatever damage is left after the previous steps.
So use as heavy physical armour as you can handle, the loss of defence from heavier armour has no real effect (and more so for casters who have a very hard time getting any sort of meaningful defence). Though be careful to not overload yourself, no amount of abs is going to save you if you get yourself moveless instead.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

This is one of those things which needs a fix and badly needs a fix! These days even scouts seem to wear at least some armour...
science

Post by science »

So if I'm a metal-wearing caster, don't bother with the armour/shield spells? Especially in pvp, where the warriors you'll be facing will hit you anyways. Maybe use armour vs. casters since metals don't absorb spells?
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

All casters use the armour spell, whether they use metal armour or not. Read what Mhoghedin said about absorb, there are clear benefits.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Caerroil wrote:The calculation of the effect of any kind of applicable abs is done in steps. First the armour spell will have effect and absorb what it is supposed to do, then physical armour will do its job on the remaining damage and lastly sanctuary will come into effect on whatever damage is left after the previous steps.
Unless there has been a significant change that never made it into the news over the last few years, sanctuary is applied first, not last.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Wobbler wrote:Unless there has been a significant change that never made it into the news over the last few years, sanctuary is applied first, not last.
If sanctuary was applied first, sanc + armour combo would be overpowered as it would be very hard to drop armour from someone sancted.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

When I tested it, wearing no armour meant I took maxdam while sanced and wearing armour meant I took less than maxdam, the damage reduction being consistent with what the armour ought to absorb of the damage left after sanctuary being applied.
Perhaps armour spell absorption is applied before sanctuary, but worn armour certainly was not then.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Yes, the order is probably: armour spell -> sanctuary spell -> physical armour. And it would make sense as both armour/sanc are aural spells and as such therefore outside of your physical body/armour (surrounding it).