Newbie guide for blind people

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
jessy

Newbie guide for blind people

Post by jessy »

I just wondering if there is a full newbie guide for blind people? that is a guide that even explain how to use a mapper such as pandora and also how to set screen reader
P Teoton asked me how to do so but I couldn't help much . I know p(slordor) could help better but he is not on :p
Jahara

Re: Newbie guide for blind people

Post by Jahara »

As far as I know screen readers need to be supported by the operating system (which then reads the text from programs given some degree of accessability support). This is probably beyond the scope of what we, as a MUD community, are capable of explaining since it borders on computer technical support. Also, I would assume that any blind person who would be reading the guide would already have a screen reader.

As for a mapper guide for the blind, I'm not even sure how this is useful, outside of secret door benefits and emulated exits.

What would be nice, though, is if we could get a blind person to add something to this discussion. I'm not sure if the original poster is blind, but we do have a large community of players who are. Maybe there is some sort of a guide that can be written, perhaps regarding which clients to use or what scripts/tricks are useful that can aid them while playing.
teoton

Post by teoton »

Hey, i use jaws and that all is workin fine, i am wondering if i can modify the display so the maps are more accessible and text based so i can learn my way about better, what settings i can enable to kinda help me understand like what does #* and stuff mean, and why doesn't it tell me what i tell people and when i say something. plus the help files cut off with jaws a lot, so i cannot read the full text in my client I use monkey term. I guess i am just fond of it and it works better than the default windows tellnet program. by a long shot I really appriciate the help i can get thanks so much for being such a cool comnuity willing to help all who come about the place.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

What I remember what slordor said: He uses pandora because it is fairly accessible from the command-line (mhelp when you are connected to pandora). He also ran around in the emulation mode to learn the areas.

About the help-files... why, how, and when do they cut off?
What COULD be the reason: The game sends too much stuff at once for your buffer (or whatever) when you read long helpfiles. You can adjust the number of lines that get sent before stuff gets paged by the game via CHANGE HEIGHT.
Another problem are "<" signs when you are in xml-mode (at least that's a bug in pandora). That problem does not appear often since there are not many helpfiles that contain a "<" (afaik only HELP TERRAIN).
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Timodeus wrote:About the help-files... why, how, and when do they cut off?
Reading the wiki's version of the help files might help.
slordor

Post by slordor »

Well I use the powwow mud client under gnu/linux with the speakup screen reader to play mume. I also use a copy of powwow that I compiled in cygwin when I'm in windows.
Pandoramapper is some what accessible, as most of the commands have a telnet interface except for the find command. The pandoramapper gui however, is not accessable at all do to it using the Qt framework.
I'd be happy to answer any questions about how I play mume in gnu/linux and windows. and if anyone ever wants to text/voice chat with me my skype name is slordor. Just let me know that you are a mume player or else I will think that you are a spam bot and block you *grin*
Locram

Post by Locram »

Playing MUME when blind must be sick!
I'm very interested in how it works. Did you set up your reader to play some beep (or some other short sound) when an enemy player come in your room, or do you have to sit and listen to *Dragoth the Tharnarb orc* has arrived from the east, *Dragoth the Tharnarb orc* hits you blablabla, before you have time to react?
I mean if your reader is able to play short sounds I would set up the mud client with substitutions for important situations, like an enemy is bashed etc..
something like orcbeep + bashedbeep = you press f2, which is nuke orc, or something..
Is that how you do it?
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

My guess is that they use a keyboard in Braille system and they can set up the speed of screen reader?