Playing MUME w/o auxiliary software

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Veritasmos

Playing MUME w/o auxiliary software

Post by Veritasmos »

Does anybody here do this? I have noticed all the people who are really into this game use loggers, mappers and scripts that run them back and forth along the safety of =paths=.

Does anybody here just log into telnet and play the game with nothing, as I do? Granted, I am new and there's probably some huge reason not to play with a bare-bones command line, and maybe I'm missing it - but on the other hand, something about playing the game as it was originally intended is simple and charming. Am I handicapping myself too badly to keep up with the winners by choosing to play in my minimalist style?

Is this not how the game was meant to be played? I want to hear all your opinions.
science

Re: Playing MUME w/o auxiliary software

Post by science »

You can do most things just fine with the built in aliases. Some triggers are handy for xping, but depends on what you're looking for, or automatically dismounting when your leader dismounts, etc. You'll want to alias ko to kill orc, things like that.

The biggest thing is a mapper - basically you just telnet to it and it telnets to mume, so you could still use it with your 'simple' system. The mapper is a huge help when you're new to the game, as it helps you avoid getting lost. http://mume.org/wiki/index.php/Mapper

Good luck and welcome! :)
aeliran

Post by aeliran »

I've no idea how you'd even play the game without at least some hot keys and variables. Unless you have ten million aliases...
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Aliases are a good luxury but the build-in ones can do most of it as well. The biggest disadvantage is of course that build-in aliases cannot execute more than one command.
Hotkeys are also nice, but the rest... isn't really needed.

The exception is of course a mapper, which also has disadvantages: Learning an area with a paper-map is more reliable when you "have no time to decide".

A second exception is building: You really want a client with supports local editing (editing stuff in a real editor, not the command-line-stuff).
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

Why do people keep bringing up the old "the way it was meant to be played" argument when trying to arguing against using specific MUD clients and mappers?
That argument is just not true. Some examples of some of the absolute top of management and their contributions towards clients/mappers and their use in relation to MUME:
* Dain was active in developing powwow, a quite old and powerful client.
* Manwe added the XML mode which sole purpose is to help mappers.

Personally I use a mapper and a client, and my scripts for the client contains a heap of convenience-type aliases and markings but besides from a coin-loot trigger (which only triggers on mobs but never on incorporeal mobs, i.e. guardian shadows) and a group-trigger which is off most of the time I don't have anything else automated. So I eat and drink manually, I walk manually, I lead and ride manually and so on. Regarding people having some sort of auto-pathwalk feature and/or speedwalk aliases I think you strongly overestimate that, most people sooner or later find out that having 40 commands sent while getting hit by a large group of enemies is a very bad way to go (pun intended).
I could very well play without 90% of my client settings, all I would need to keep are some hotkeys and aliases since I'm not anywhere near a fast typer, without it having that much of an impact on my ability to play the game but I very much prefer to keep them all since that is the way I have gotten accustomed to play.
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

There are things that I can't live without anymore:

Report scripts, autoloot, zzblam (score/tnl, etc)
Statistics accumulating scripts (XP counters, hourly rates)
MUME Time scripts (Synchronized to the second, pretty graphical representations of time/season)
Mappers (makes playing less 'hardcore' as your memory can be more fuzzy)