Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Xaviar
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Xaviar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Yeah speaking of realism I think it's also ridiculous that some characters can walk around shooting fireballs out their arses. Don't preach 'realism' on mume especially if you're a bn mage.

I thought the whole idea of the test mume was to get feedback and work from that feedback, I'm pretty sure the majority of thief players were opposed to the panic thing yet it was implemented regardless. There's no point in asking for feed back from players if you're not going to utilize it. I think it's safe to assume the changes were made because people who don't play the game anymore were sick of the bitching from all the people that don't play thief and think thieves are all unkillable. The changes are not balanced, in the slightest way. Being able to sneak past a group when you're getting spammed down is no different than wording/store porting, not having any abs so you eat ridiculous damage in this situation just adds to the bitterness. It's nice they tweaked escape so it's slightly faster but it is still not fast enough to make up for the panic bs. Just my two cents.

Sincerely, one bitter thief player.

Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Gothmog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Xaviar wrote:I think it's safe to assume the changes were made because people who don't play the game anymore were sick of the bitching from all the people that don't play thief and think thieves are all unkillable.
The changes in progress are not made because of people who don't play the game are sick of whining. They're made becaue MUME needs to be progressing, developing further, creating a more fun and balanced game. As I pointed out in the first post (which I in turn find it safe to assume that you did not read), these changes are not the end. They're not even the beginning of the end. And so on. :D

Xaviar
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Xaviar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Gothmog wrote:
Xaviar wrote:I think it's safe to assume the changes were made because people who don't play the game anymore were sick of the bitching from all the people that don't play thief and think thieves are all unkillable.
The changes in progress are not made because of people who don't play the game are sick of whining. They're made becaue MUME needs to be progressing, developing further, creating a more fun and balanced game. As I pointed out in the first post (which I in turn find it safe to assume that you did not read), these changes are not the end. They're not even the beginning of the end. And so on. :D
I hope not, at this point all of my thief chars are useless accept the ones with reasonable stats to convert to poison-whore warrior combos. And yes I did read your post! :P

Razoor
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:20 am

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Razoor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Gothmog, adding delays to MUME can never be called progress. It's a huge drawback.

Elmir
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Stockholm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Elmir » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Lovely, nice going y'all.

Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Gothmog » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Razoor wrote:Gothmog, adding delays to MUME can never be called progress. It's a huge drawback.
Following that logic, MUME would be more fun & balanced if nothing was delayed; backstabbing, reading scrolls, casting a spell, bashing, picking a lock...

I disagree.

Alkar
Vala (Mudller)
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 pm
Location: The Void
Contact:

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Alkar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:09 pm

I think it's safe to assume the changes were made because people who don't play the game anymore were sick of the bitching from all the people that don't play thief and think thieves are all unkillable.
Contrary to popular belief, whining doesn't motivate us. In fact, it does quite the opposite.

Razoor
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:20 am

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Razoor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 pm

If you want to interpret my comment in that way, Gothmog, you're right. But i know, and you know, that you understand what i really meant :)

Skoal
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Skoal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 am

tough on a lower con thief... but cool to see changes for the first time since i have started playing.

Xaviar
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Xaviar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:10 am

Skoal wrote:tough on a lower con thief... but cool to see changes for the first time since i have started playing.
And tough on shit linked people.

Elestir
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Elestir » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:25 am

They can easily solve the problem of scouts not being able to effectively fight in closed area fights by improving shoot (re-allowing wimpy mood for shooters for example, but that's not the only possibility). As for sneakers being more easilly spammed down in bottlenecks, that's a good thing imo.

crackle
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by crackle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:28 pm

What sort of feedback are you (the management) most interested in?
  1. Constructive comments on the effects of current changes.
  2. Constructive ideas for near term changes.
  3. Constructive ideas for the next version of MUME.
  4. We already know where we're headed for the next version, but thanks for your concern!
  5. Please whine more, as we're more likely to notice highly emotional pleas and incoherent rants.
OK, just kidding about that last one. However, the existence of these forums implies that at least some input is desired. Given Gothmog's opening post, I suspect that it's some combination of (1), (4), and (3), in that order. (2) is probably ruled out by Ilie's comment on balancing.

Elmir
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Stockholm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Elmir » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Alkar wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, whining doesn't motivate us. In fact, it does quite the opposite.
Keep up the good work!

Elestir
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Elestir » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:49 pm

Alkar wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, whining doesn't motivate us. In fact, it does quite the opposite.
Being demotivated by whining is not better than being motivated by it, as it makes you susceptible to manipulation. E.g. let's say there is a feature I like and wouldn't like it to get changed. I could start whining about how bad it is, thus demotivating you to change it... ;-)

Letholes
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Letholes » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 pm

I must admit that I have not tried the new thief skills too much (only in test mume) but it sounds like the entire play style will have to change. It also seems to make scoutmages a lot harder to play since escape is so necessary. This has led me to believe that leveling a scoutmage to 21 might not have been a good idea. However, I think I will now finally make an ainur with it, which is something i've been putting off :p

Kenzu
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:49 am
Location: Benicia, CA
Contact:

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Kenzu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:40 am

Letholes wrote:I must admit that I have not tried the new thief skills too much (only in test mume) but it sounds like the entire play style will have to change. It also seems to make scoutmages a lot harder to play since escape is so necessary. This has led me to believe that leveling a scoutmage to 21 might not have been a good idea. However, I think I will now finally make an ainur with it, which is something i've been putting off :p
Okay, so, the person who everyone hates on scout the most... LOVES the changes...

So, obviously it's not that hard to play with.

-Kevin
Armies of the West:
Ambassador, Antar, Ardent, Arrogance, Earand, Furor, Gennessie, Greed, Kessfare, Lief, Schmidt, Vulpine

Forces of the Dark Lord:
Braddock, Gloomer, Inhale, Massacre, Perfection, Scary, Serpentor, Shriek, Tomax, Wridush

harell
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by harell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I may be ignorant for asking this.. but how are the actual decisions for implementations reached? Is there some set structure or process, or is it what Mandor/Ilie/Gothmog just deem best based on test-mume feedback?

This may be something for the ideas board, but has anyone considered any type of panel or council for setting up these types of changes? I am assuming (from gothmogs original post) that the goal of all of these changes are to keep mume progressing and alive amidst a (as of the last couple years) a steadily declining player base. Perhaps this coucil could be formed by either goth, ilie, or mandor for the purpose of hearing some of the most respected and consistently upstanding players and their honest takes on the changes before anything is implemented?

Even if the Gods kept all the final decision making ability (which I am almost positive they will.. and probably for good reason), I still think it may be a good idea to form some sort of panel to clearly hear the "official" voice of the mumers before the implementation is made.

This, at the very least, would hopefully cut down on people bashing every move the gods make on the nar channel... and at most would reduce implementation revisions, cut back on massive amounts of the "OMG my lvl 40 thief sucks" comments, confirm to the gods that the implementation is (in the every day players minds) beneficial to the livelihood of mume, and provide the gods with player-backed ammunition to battle all the complainers that come out of the woodwork at every implementation.

Just my take on the situation. :-)

Just to make it completely clear though... I am extremely thrilled to see the new activity taking place. I cant wait for more changes and other new ideas to be implemented. I appreciate all of you hard working deities... You guys are amazing!

Caerroil
Bug Hunter
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Caerroil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:58 pm

These are just my observations done as a mortal, I have very limited knowledge from being an Ainu.

Changes are made by people (Ainurs) that are able (high enough position) to do so and think they have something good to contribute to the game. Some listen more to mortals than others, with the ones posting in here belonging to the first category (something that doesn't exclude everyone not posting here from the first category). Listening-to-mortals does however not mean do-as-mortals-want (or mostly do-as-the-loud-mortals-want, which generally is what opinions tend to be heard the most), which most of the time most likely is good (at least in the long run).

Once again this is only my perception of how things are done, and I could be wrong. However this forum clearly shows that some/enough people with enough power to change things are interested in what the community has to say about changes and what changes they would like to see in the game. IMO this forum is the best and most positive change ever in MUME, or at least for the last 7 or so years I have played this game.

Ugurz
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:55 am

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Ugurz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:28 am

I'll assume Ugurz is who Kenzu was referring to when he mentioned the most-hated-scout. If not, here is my two cents anyway.

I do not love the changes but I decided to try and adjust and not whine. There you have it. :)

Letholes
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Letholes » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:55 pm

I'm confused why i was quoted..haha

Locked