Targeting in PK situations

This is a board where new (and old) players can ask all kinds of questions or just discuss the things they just found.

Moderator: Andróg

Mornaghan

Targeting in PK situations

Post by Mornaghan »

Hi

I need general advice and/or examples how targeting specific enemies work in PK situations.

Lets say I'm playing puke and run into a group of darkies consisting of *a Man*, *an Orc* and *a Troll* (whether it's a good idea to fight 1vs3 is off topic and matter for another discussion).

Question 1: How do you target *an Orc* for example?
Do you use labelling? For example have a hotkey for "label orc TARGET" or similar, and then just "hit/stab/shoot/cast target"?
Or do you use predifined hotkeys for hitting? For example different hotkeys for "hit man", "hit 2.man", "hit 3.man", "hit orc", "hit 2.orc", etc?

Question 2: What command do you use to hit player characters?
If there are orc mobs in the room then typing "hit orc" can yield an undesired effect of hitting NPCs rather than players.
How to make sure you hit the correct character? "Hit *an Orc*"? "hit 2/3/4/5. orc" (takes some serious instacounting skills)?
If it's a legend character, like *fearsome Troll*, does "hit fearsome" work for example?
Erï

Re: Targeting in PK situations

Post by Erï »

Mornaghan wrote:Hi
Hello!
Mornaghan wrote:Question 1: How do you target *an Orc* for example?
Do you use labelling? For example have a hotkey for "label orc TARGET" or similar, and then just "hit/stab/shoot/cast target"?
Or do you use predifined hotkeys for hitting? For example different hotkeys for "hit man", "hit 2.man", "hit 3.man", "hit orc", "hit 2.orc", etc?
I can only answer to what I do, maybe there's a more efficient way, but it's the setup I use.
I make a variable for $target which is set by 'tg'. Then I can type for instance 'tg *orc*' and it will setup my target to *orc*.
Then I make aliases for every race, tgm = tg *man*, tgo = tg *orc* etc.
Then I make hotkeys and aliases for my target variable, bt = 'blind $target' etc.
Mornaghan wrote:Question 2: What command do you use to hit player characters?
If there are orc mobs in the room then typing "hit orc" can yield an undesired effect of hitting NPCs rather than players.
Well, this won't happen, since keyword for NPC-orcs is orc and not *orc*.
Mornaghan wrote:How to make sure you hit the correct character? "Hit *an Orc*"? "hit 2/3/4/5. orc" (takes some serious instacounting skills)?
You can then walk in to the room/start a fight and label your enemy. For instance 'label *orc* dead' and then set your target to 'dead'.
Mornaghan wrote:If it's a legend character, like *fearsome Troll*, does "hit fearsome" work for example?
This I don't know, never tried it. If you see the name of your enemy it will however work to target it.
If you for instance see '*Erï the man* has arrived from the south.' then setting up your target to 'erï' or even 'eri' and then hitting that target will work, withouth needing the **.
Mornaghan

Post by Mornaghan »

Thank you Eri

your explanation makes good sense.
I will give this a run-through and see how it works.

How do you handle the situation when you have two *man* and you want to target the second one?
Do you have separate hotkey or use labeling?
Mornaghan

Post by Mornaghan »

Well...

Haven't had the chance to test Eri's style in PK yet but for mobs it works pretty conveniently and definitely faster than my previous labeling style.
Mornaghan

Post by Mornaghan »

Well...providing a little update.

Exping around with charmies and using #set target command is pretty good.

using alias y [mob]= #set target [mob]
and then alias x= order followers hit target
You can concentrate on different mobs and chance them quickly if necessary and can always make sure your charmies

In PK it's not so good however.
Just had a run-in with a sneaky BN, *a Man* in Malardils. He was solo and I was with two charmed tarantulas.
I set target to *man* and ordered charmies to hit target. Tarantulas ignored him giving him ample time to attempt several stabs on me until he managed to land one instakilling me.

What happened? Why didn't charmies attack him?
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

You can't order a charmie to hit *race*. You must know the name of the target. So named ones like *Bork the orc* you can order them to hit with "hit bork".

If the target is not named, what you have to do is hit it, and order your charmies to assist you.

If there is a sneaker, what you need to do is "reveal quick" to see it, or "flush quick" to hit it. Beware that flush will hit whatever is sneaking though, so don't use that if there's for example potentially hardened rangers around.

reveal quick ->
hit *man* ->
order followers assist

I believe this is correct, someone correct me if it's not!
Mornaghan

Post by Mornaghan »

You can't order a charmie to hit *race*.
A-HA.... so that's it.

In light of this new information I tried labeling the targets.
i.e - label $tg$ x; order followers hit x.
Doesn't work unfortunately. Charmies seem to ignore my labels.

So I'd say Rogon described it is the only way....
eri

Post by eri »

Yes, labels are only seen by you, not by charmies. Another approach to the situation you described would be to order your charmies to flush instead of you doing it, which will make them hit the sneaker instantly, giving you a chance to cast spells and/or or assist behind your charmies. As Rogon said, beware to flush in areas with friendly mobs/players.

Ordering charmies to reveal is also nice to do while you are tracking or any other activity that is delayed, as it makes you less stab-able. For those situations you might want to increase the reveal time however.

If you see something that is hidden in a room (a brigand is standing here(hidden)), charmies will usually not see it. but you can use the 'rev all' command to make your charmies see it before you order hit. And as Rogon said, ordering charmies to hit will only work on mobs and players you know the name of.
Mornaghan

Post by Mornaghan »

BAH... :oops:

I set hotkeys for targeting *orc, *troll*, *man*...
BUT theres also *a woman* in the game.... totally forgot about that and was pitifully killed by a solo *grim woman* whilst I was with two charmed tarantulas and full mana near Ohurk.

Basically trying to say that you can have the best PK system in MUME but if you suck...YOU SUCK :D
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

The black numenoreans, whom you see as *a man* or *a woman* ingame (when they are not named), are both targettable as *man*. Man in this context is the race of men, just as trolls and orcs are races. So don't make a target setting for *woman* :)

And yes, MUME PK is fast and deadly! It's hard to explain to someone who's not played text based games how it can be so fast and full of action and fatal split-second decisions :)