MUME Time Reset

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Jahara

MUME Time Reset

Post by Jahara »

The one ring was destroyed in the year 3019 and Sauron defeated. In the game it is currently the year 3002 so the time of Sauron's defeat is rapidly approaching. I believe that upon reaching this year the game has previously reset to an earlier time period (and that this reset has now occurred five times so far).

In any case, with some simple math, I have calculated that we have about 4 months until MUME resets itself!

Code: Select all

17 years * 12 months * 30 days * 24 mume hours or real life (rl) minutes = 146880 rl minutes
146880 rl minutes / 60 rl minutes = 2448 rl hours
2448 rl hours / 24 rl hours = 102 rl days
102 rl days / 30 days =~ 3.4 months
This is somewhat significant since I believe that darkness is larger in the earlier eras rather than towards the end of Sauron's reign. This could just be playerbase stipulation though :-)
Timodeus
Arata

Re: MUME Time Reset

Post by Timodeus »

Didn't the last reset happen waaay too late? 3028 or so? I'm not sure but I think I remember something like that... ;)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

I think that'll be my third reset.... geez, thanks Jahara for making me feel old! :P
science

Post by science »

We should have some fun, and try and stage a great war, and have the one ring be findable by those who look for it, etc.

maybe have the "battle" of middle earth reset every 2 weeks or something. could be a really fun aspect/scenario to the race wars. Perhaps have angdil give out basic armour and a weapon for free to newly dead people, etc.

Now, if only we had email addresses registered to accounts, we could spam everyone who'd ever been to mume about the exciting upcoming battle, and they'd all rush back to give it a shot.

Seriously, mume should be treated more like a business in terms of marketing, response to player politics, etc. Sometimes I wonder if we were all paying $15/month, how it would be different :)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Well, if it look at it from that perspective then.... Gandalf should be pretty active nowadays and in near future.... ;)
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

science wrote:We should have some fun, and try and stage a great war, and have the one ring be findable by those who look for it, etc.

maybe have the "battle" of middle earth reset every 2 weeks or something. could be a really fun aspect/scenario to the race wars. Perhaps have angdil give out basic armour and a weapon for free to newly dead people, etc.

Now, if only we had email addresses registered to accounts, we could spam everyone who'd ever been to mume about the exciting upcoming battle, and they'd all rush back to give it a shot.

Seriously, mume should be treated more like a business in terms of marketing, response to player politics, etc. Sometimes I wonder if we were all paying $15/month, how it would be different :)
I think the coders/builders/etc would like that too.

People often forget that any development done to MUME is done purely on a volunteer basis and in spare time :)
Mint
Arata

Post by Mint »

This will be MUME's 6th time reset. The previous ones were in '95, '98, '00, '03, and '06.
science

Post by science »

Wiseman: You are joking, but seriously builders/etc are most likely happier when there is actually fun/exciting/new things in the work. Stagnation == lack of inspiration.
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

Actually I wasn't joking.

The people who do engineering work in this game are doing so when it's convenient for them. "Treating it like a business" as you put it would require work to be done when it has to instead of when people can/feel like doing it.

New things are exciting/fun for everyone but this game simply wasn't built to operate in the way you suggest.

My 2c.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Well, I sometimes work on it, even when I'm not motivated or when it's not fun... simply because I feel I should advance this or that project a bit.
science

Post by science »

What I was really talking about is the public support from having a publicized "vision" for the future. People being excited about what you're working on helps motivate and excite you to work on it. It feels like nothing big is in the works, and I feel that makes people apathetic about the sameness. There are some exciting zones being worked on, but even those I know about from my small role with building, they don't seem to be public knowledge.