Mume & Social Friendship

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
science

Mume & Social Friendship

Post by science »

Mume's the best game ever made in many ways. And in some ways, it sucks. I'd like to focus on the process of becoming friends with a player on mume.

1) Other games (like wow) have a 'friend list' feature, that notifies you when your friends are online. This would rock!
2) Mume's multiple-players all secretly hidden inside one account is a huge disadvantage here too. My best buddy is online, but I don't know it because they're under a different name. Perhaps account names should be an option to have displayed in your whois (or better yet, in the 'who' list).

3) Many higher level chars are always incognito. Perhaps if you got added (and authorized) into their friends list, they'd be visible to you still.

4) Outside-of-mume extension. I've mentioned it before, but having mume-mail forwarded to real email after a 30 minute delay would enable people to reconnect with lost friends, etc. Keeping in touch with people is a big aspect of the time we spend. Creating stronger friendships that last is something far more productive than gaining another level...

5) Back 10 years ago when I was playing mume from my parents house, they would always say "you're wasting your life", and I'd say "no, I'm being social and playing with my friends in sweden!". But who of those people have I stayed in touch with? None... I have some new friends now among those who play mume today, but a way to help that friendship grow from "light" aspects involving silently killing monsters together, to talking about ex-girlfriends or helping each other out when there is trouble, could make mume a far more powerful, worthwhile, and ultimately rewarding experience.

I also feel that many of these "friendship" aspects could be integrated into some sort of web-based online community (which is something that I do IRL, if any admin wants suggestions)... but the first steps mentioned above would be huge...
dianos

Re: Mume & Social Friendship

Post by dianos »

I like it that people don't know which characters are my characters. I find that it helps with character separation. (This is a role playing game. Players are not characters, etc.) I tend to talk to different people when I use different characters.

But anyway, I can see why you would want it to be different.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

As far as I know, there is often mume meetings that allow you to meet real players . I think these help alot to transform rpg friendship into rl friendship:p .

you gave a nice idea " I also feel that many of these "friendship" aspects could be integrated into some sort of web-based online community" maybe elvenrunes should improve the profile section by making more features that looks like a blog and players can describe each character and write their different adventures just like a diary:p
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

"Back 10 years ago when I was playing mume from my parents house, they would always say "you're wasting your life", and I'd say "no, I'm being social and playing with my friends in sweden!". But who of those people have I stayed in touch with? None... I have some new friends now among those who play mume today"

This isn't on-topic but that's what happens with "friends" in general. You have them, they (most of them) somehow vanish from your life again after a few years, you find new friends... repeat.
science

Post by science »

1) Elevenrunes needs to be made "official" and at least hosted as a subdomain of mume.org. runes.mume.org? Accounts should be automatically parsed from the mume system (perhaps a bounce-login system could work by adding a file to the main mume server, which simply returns an authorized username, in case axel/etc for some reason won't be trusted by the admins to have access to encrypted passwords.

2) Mume RL get-togethers will always be super limited in terms of who can attend. I'm speaking of *digital* aspects that would greatly enhance everyone's ability to be friendly on the site. The biggest thing with this is a mume-mail to email connection such that when a friend stops logging in, you can still say hi to them, and try to reconnect IRL. This will help keep people casually in the game.

3) The forum and notifications / etc should be more connected with the game as well, or at lease have a setting where any new replies are emailed to you...
pinion

Post by pinion »

A friends list is sorely needed. As is most people use MSN as a friends list which promotes possible cheating. An in game friends list would rock. It doesn't have to be account based, just char based.