Help with MMapper2

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
thout

Help with MMapper2

Post by thout »

I am having trouble with this. I for some reason cannot connect to the localhost and port 4242. I keep getting disconnected. Is this a firewall problem?
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Re: Help with MMapper2

Post by Kalev »

Post some more information, please.

1) What's your Windows version?
2) What MUD client do you use?
3) What is the exact error message you are getting?
4) If you connect to localhost from your client, do you get anything in MMapper's Log View?
thout

Post by thout »

Thanks for the help but I finally got it. For some reason it was a problem with the client, Atlantis for Mac. I got a new and better client and its working fine with mmapper. I don't know how I ever played this game without the map. :D
thonk

Post by thonk »

How accurate is mmapper2 right now?
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

The map included map is very accurate for most zones. Once you get into hairy spots like Moria or Ost-in-Edhil I would recommend doing some re-mapping.
Boddah

Post by Boddah »

I just upgraded to Windows 7. Mmapper works, powtty works, but if I try to connect to MUME via mmapper, powtty, just doesn't do anything. It's running in the background, I can't access it, and I am so irritated and don't know what to do. There aren't any error messages.. any advice?
Nuffle

Post by Nuffle »

In powtty, try logging into your character and type "cha xml". Then move around a little, and mmapper2 should figure out where you are.
katak

Post by katak »

I am using the latest windows vista and JMC client. My mmapper works when I am playing but I am unable to add rooms to the existing map (in mapping mode). I also tried to create a map from scratch and am unable to do so. Any suggestions? (I could add a room manually just the auto map function is not working).
Tolv

Post by Tolv »

I have strange problem with mmapper2 ver 2.0.2. It ran nicely about year-two ago, but now it gives following error on startup:
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.

The operating system is Centos 5.4, mmapper2 was compiled when (sub)version was about 5.0 or 5.1.

When trying to complile last version of mmapper2 (2.0.4-final2) using qmake from qt4, I get following info:
svn: '.' is not a working copy
uic: File generated with too old version of Qt Designer

Any ideas?
katak

Post by katak »

Done more troubleshooting. I logged on old pc and have same problems (older mmapper and jmc versions). Has output in mume been changed in the past 5 months? Automap no longer works and i cant update rooms manually either. If i add a room it will only establish a connection but nothing else.
katak

Post by katak »

I started over from scratch. Downloaded and reinstalled the latest versions of both mmapper and jmc. Now all seems to be working properly. Still don't know why old pc mmapper does not work.
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Tolv wrote:When trying to complile last version of mmapper2 (2.0.4-final2) using qmake from qt4, I get following info:
svn: '.' is not a working copy
uic: File generated with too old version of Qt Designer

Any ideas?
I have a few ideas, but nothing that would easily fix this for you.

a) try to fix the .ui file so that it works with the ancient Qt that's shipped with Centos 5
b) download newer Qt and install it in parallel with the old one so that mmaper would be built against the new Qt but rest of the system continues to use the old one
c) "upgrade" to Fedora where there are mmapper and powwow packages available in repos
d) wait for Centos 6
science

Post by science »

Edit the qmake file (dont remember the name - project file, makefile, something like that) and remove the crap about svn, I don't know why its in there.

But you shouldn't need to compile your own, just use the one linked on the wiki page?
Tolv

Post by Tolv »

Kalev wrote: a) try to fix the .ui file so that it works with the ancient Qt that's shipped with Centos 5
b) download newer Qt and install it in parallel with the old one so that mmaper would be built against the new Qt but rest of the system continues to use the old one
c) "upgrade" to Fedora where there are mmapper and powwow packages available in repos
d) wait for Centos 6
I decided to try option b). Well, compiling QT 4.6.2 was not a problem. Problem was, that even with last mmapper2 i'll get still message:
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current. And still, mmapper2 doesnt show map at all and behaves pretty strangely.

So.. I can't make no other conclusion: GL provided by new NVidia drivers just doesn't seem to work well anymore. Maybe should try older ones.
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Yes, must be graphics drivers then.

What does "glxinfo | grep render" say for you? For reference, I get this:

Code: Select all

$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20100328 2010Q1 
Also, does any other app which uses OpenGL for rendering work?
Tolv

Post by Tolv »

Well.. this was good bit of information.
First, glxinfo did not gave any information about GL. After some investigation, it was clear that NVidia driver installer did something not exactly correctly (I had two versions of glx modules under /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions, libglx.so and libglx.so.190.XYZ). Well, libglx.so should be a symlink to second one. After the removal of libglx.so and creating symlink as it should be - everything was fine. glxinfo works, as does glxgears and MMapper2.

Thank you for helping :-)
avamoore

Post by avamoore »

oh maybe this is better place to post problems? mmapper2 keeps crashing when i use alias to scout, for example if i use local alias "p" for scout, and i type "p n" for scout n, it crashes... any ideas?
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

No idea, but try giving some more information, perhaps someone gets an idea.

- what version of mmapper?
- what operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac)?
- do you use XML mode?
- how well is it reproducible? (100%, once every full moon)

What does "local alias" mean? Is it MUME alias or your local client substitution?
avamoore

Post by avamoore »

the mmapper 2.0.4 final version, with jmc and windows xp. what i meant by 'local' alias is alias saved as the character not into the client... so if i played with the online java or even by telnet if i typed "alias p scout" then everytime i typed "p" it would scout instead of put something

not using XML, and i'm not sure of the difference between XML mode and normal mode.

and it is reproducible 100% of the time. maybe it is something bound with the letter p? but it also auto shuts down the mapper when i type "sco and then a _ (space)" after it sometimes
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Allright, if you are not using XMl mode with the mapper, you should give it a try. Most players (including the people who develop mmapper) use the xml mode and it's thus much more polished than the non-xml mode.

To turn it on, type "change xml" when you are logged on with mapper and see if your problem goes away. If you need to get back to normal mode (for instance when you want to play with Java client) just type "change xml" again.