I can't stick with one character / gear advice

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
thout

I can't stick with one character / gear advice

Post by thout »

I made a scout and got it to like level 9 and then wanted to bash and slash. Then I made a warrior, Thout. Now I want to play a conc. dwarf. After about level 10 I'm sure I'll want to play something else. Grrrrrr

Why can't I find something I like?
Last edited by thout on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chark

Re: I can't stick with one character

Post by Chark »

It's fun to try different characters! I do that all the time, only difference is I xp them up to lvl 30 something, and only then get bored. :) My first character was man warrior (was about level 8 or something), it decayed long ago, then I made dwarf cleaver which I managed to get to level 30 something. Then I mobbed it and retired and turned to the dark side :twisted: Anyway it's okay and good to try different characters.

I guess the leveling gets slower at about level 8, that may be the reason you want to create another character. The first levels come fast. Maybe try to find a group you can join for xp, it's even more fun, and xp comes faster! Although I can see the point going solo too.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Try some warrior with some casting (cleric) ability. Those are fun. But, well, they start to "work" only around heroish levels. But even before is a warrior with bless and decent cures a funny thing. All in all, I would say your character starts to "be" a real character between the levels 12 and 16 (based on the class, warriors work earlier, casters later)... and then there are the people who consider everything below level 50 or even 70 as "lowbie". ;)
thonk

Post by thonk »

OP here, this is my new warrior. Level 7 with cure light. Thout was just terrible. I can already kill bears with 2 mercs at level 7. With thout I couldn't do that at level 9. :/
thonk

Re: I can't stick with one character / gear advice

Post by thonk »

Ok lets change this to an equipment thread. Thonk is a dwarf offensive conc. warrior. I don't really know what to buy. I have a wooden wall shield and a morningstar (lost the heavy morningstar) and a FGC. What else should I be looking for in shops? Thanks in advance.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

A) Mercenaries are good. Use them at lot. There load some in Fornost and in Bree.

B) In general, go for the most expensive eq you can afford (this is true for up to like 15 gold or so). In general, a shield worth 2 gold is better than one worth three silver, the same goes for weapons. Try to get a gilded round shield as medium goal and a large metal wall shield later.
You can "consider" the armours/weapon your carry or ask the shopkeeper to "show" you an "item" (by number).
As armour, try to get metals if you want to buffer yourself, at best sturdy or fine. The progression with armour is always that "normal" eq is worse than sturdy is worse than fine. If you do not want to buffer yourself but let your mercenaries do it (wait until they engaged, then flee out and come in again, then re-join the fight) you can do with ligher eq as chainmail. Just check your mercs health from time to time, they are more worth alive than dead.

Always make sure you carry a butcher knife, water in your skin, and enough oil for your lantern!
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Mobiles tend to target those body parts that are less protected. Because of that, it makes sense to always have a full set of similar items. If you lack one piece of armour or if it is much worse than other items, most hits will go to less protect part, making other pieces of your armour rather useless.

What I am saying is that it is much better to have a full set of sturdy chain than to have just one piece of (really expensive) fine metal armour.
thonk

Post by thonk »

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the info guys.