Demystifying wilderness

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Numi

Demystifying wilderness

Post by Numi »

Hi, I am new to this great game and have been reading a lot of the guides that are scattered throughout the Internet but I haven't been able to find many details on wilderness beyond "helps with move costs". Anyone can shed some light? Specifically, I am interested in:

- Any idea on the formula used to determine move cost reduction?
- How many pracs should I spend on this? I have 10 STR and 16 WIL. I am level 16.
- Beyond the effect STR and WIL have on %, is efficacy dependant on any stats?
- Are there diminishing returns?
Elestir

Re: Demystifying wilderness

Post by Elestir »

When walking on foot, wilderness skill and your boots affect the movecost.
When riding, riding skill and your saddle affects the movecost for both you and the mount. (elves dont need saddles though)

Other than that, wilderness also makes you hungry/thirsty less often and shortens the camp delay.
Exact formula is hidden and stats that affect wilderness % is base STR and base WIL (to lower extent) only. The actual effect (movepoints conserved) depends on how much equipment you carry and what's your current STR as well.
Also the skill doesn't seem to be capped at 100% (so it makes sense to prac over 100% if you have good stats for it).
science

Post by science »

I usually get it to 60-80%, though around 100% on people that I expect will be running around without mounts often (dwarves, trolls/ect), or that don't have bob.

Some people say it helps with movecost while tracking, though that may just be because they can't be mounted.

More questions:
How much of an effect is it? If I'm on the light end of "Heavy, but will manage", and unmounted, with 0 vs. 100 endurance, will it cost me twice as many moves? Four times? Ten?

What about 80% vs 105%? Twice as much moves? 110%?

Some players swear it's the most useful skill ever.... I don't think so.
Numi

Post by Numi »

do the effects stack with move reduction eq?
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Numi wrote:do the effects stack with move reduction eq?
What eq do you mean? I know only 3 move reduction items: boots (including snowshoes for snow), saddles and certain walking stick. Of course wilderness effect stacks with boots effect, etc. If you meant move-regen equipment, then you should realize move-regen and move-cost are 2 completely different things.
Numi

Post by Numi »

Yes, I was thinking of boots, like soft padded. Wasn't aware of walking stick!