Survey: World problems

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Sung

Re: Survey: World problems

Post by Sung »

Elemmakil wrote:About a noblock door: Howdy or Smooth's LH outside of Tbad (right next to Farmer BLack's) is nobreak.

Very annoying =(
Remaining wilderness legendhomes (except those west of BWB) were closed down at the end of 2007. No need to worry about that anymore.
-- Sung the Arata of Zones
Phloxy

Post by Phloxy »

Yesterday, I was killing Mormaeg solo (with charmies) when something a little unpleasant happened. Obviously, I first entered mormaeg room and burned the webs away with burn spell. After that, I proceded to kill mormaeg. Less than 10 seconds after it died, not only did mormaeg pop, but the webs popped as well. At this point I was trapped in the webs buffing mormaeg with no armour and no mana. I mobbed of course.

I in no way want this to sound like a whine post, I just thought someone might want to check this out. If it is WAD, then I am cool with it. The xp loss isnt really that big of a deal to me. I just figured I'd ask in order to possibly prevent some heartache/frustration for the next guy. :)

Thanks!
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Perhaps freshly popped mobiles should give a lesser form of mobdeath? I know that the vast majority of experienced player mobdeaths usually revolve around unexpected mobpops which really isn't fair. :-)
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I agree something *could* be done about repops and resulting mobrips - but on the other hand you could say mobdeaths are unbalanced these days anyway since the "balance" comes from a time when MUME had much less different mobs and your trophy was much more cluttered.
Therefore, mobribs already became much less harsh over the last years than they were originally intended (if that intention was and still is good is another discussion that's probably pointless to begin anyway).

@Phloxy
If Mormeag should pop while someone is in there is another - valid! - question. Tried to contact the Az about that? Note: not sure if you are in the correct thread. ;)
Belamir

Post by Belamir »

Quite an interesting thread, that I somehow completely missed. Thanks to Phloxy for bumping it!

I'm a bit disappointed that the idea about a message showing before a zone repops was not commented upon by Sung. In my opinion this would not only be useful, but it would be a terrific job for new builders (I know I'd have fun with it, at least).

In each case, you'd just have to figure out some "logical" precursor to what it could mean for more mobiles to arrive in the zone. In the Old Forest or Mirkwood, for instance, you might see a message about the trees rustling and shifting, or seeming to change places or move. In Old Fornost (populated by spirits and dead things) Rogon's idea about some message referring to the temperature seeming to drop would be fairly logical.

The thing I like most about this idea is that it could start to provide some explanation for the seemingly nonsensical situation of mobiles suddenly appearing en masse. This could improve immersion.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I still also like the idea mobs getting a custom repop-message...
Belamir

Post by Belamir »

That's actually a slightly different idea, and I must say I like it even better. A different repop message for each mobile type (plant, etc.) with the option for completely customizable messages would, I think, make for a fairly realistic workload as far as adding this feature to existing mobiles goes.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

There's something in my mind... currently, I'm really not sure if I already asked about it or not... hmm... to put it this way:
If I get "someone" to agree to it, who (people with an immortal) would do the "work" (and write/proofread custom pop messages)? I won't start anything in that direction when I'll be the one stuck with adding the "content" later on my own for like 1000+ different mobiles.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

It is indeed 2 different ideas, the first one means basically 2-3 messages for each zone:
  • Message that appears shortly before the repop happens to everyone in the zone (except for sleeping ppl etc.).
  • Message that is visible for the time interval shortly before repop in room description.
  • Message that appears in the moment of repop.
Each room could eventually override each of these messages, to allow further customization.
This idea would improve both playability and the atmosphere of the game.

The 2nd idea was to let mobiles override the standard repop message "Xxx has arrived.". This idea would improve merely the atmosphere of the game, not the playability. Therefore the 1st idea has higher priority in my eyes.
Last edited by Elestir on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phloxy

Post by Phloxy »

I agree with Elestir as well. Though the second idea is good, the first idea will be much more beneficial to mumers in general. The work load for creating these messages would not be too high at all, as there would only need to be a couple per zone. I'm not sure if it would be possible or not, but I am assuming these could just be implemented as they are completed per zone? No need to wait till they are all done to implement them all at once imo...

Anyone know of any issues that any of this might cause? Maybe I'm biased atm, but all in all I think this would be a great implementation with minimal work load, substantial benefits, and (afaik) no major drawbacks.