[HowTo] Local Editing in Windows (Coloured Whois)

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Jahara

[HowTo] Local Editing in Windows (Coloured Whois)

Post by Jahara »

NOTICE!!! The latest version of this guide can be read on the wiki!

Local Editing
>"LOCAL EDITOR" "MUME REMOTE EDITING PROTOCOL"

The MUME remote editing protocol is a mechanism that allows users to edit
files on their local machines, as opposed to using the standard line editor.
This guide that will show you how to enable local editing in PowTTY.

1. Running Powtty
Download powtty from Elvenrunes and run the program. In the example I have already run mmapper2 and loaded a map, but that step is unnecessary for using local editing.

2. Enabling local editing in the client
Click the "PowTTY" tab and then enable the local editing option.

3. Saving the session for future use
This step is unnecessary as well, here I am changing the host and port to be directed from Mume towards mmapper2. In the Session tab I then enter in a session name to save it under and then click "Save" to save it for later use. Finally I click "Open" to run PowTTY.

4. Enabling local editing in the game
Type "change editor" and verify that it is currently set to mume. If not, then type: change editor mume

5. Using notepad to edit files
When you start to write to a board, change your whois, or view a mail Mume will send the text directly to your client which will then open notepad. You will be able to change the text file and then click "File", "Save" to send it back to mume or just close notepad to cancel the current editing session.

6. ANSI color
If you want to learn about creating fancy whoises complete with ANSI color then I suggest you take a look at my very, very old guide on my Mume page.
Jahara

Re: HOWTO: Local Editing in Windows (Coloured Whois)

Post by Jahara »

Placeholder for eventual updated ANSI color guide
Timodeus
Arata

Re: HOWTO: Local Editing in Windows (Coloured Whois)

Post by Timodeus »

As a sidenote:
Last week (or so) we added a new helpfile about the local editor. I'll just paste it to this thread since it fits somehow...

![ iMs 2[0:2]>help local ed
"LOCAL EDITOR" "MUME REMOTE EDITING PROTOCOL"

The MUME remote editing protocol is a mechanism that allows users to edit files on their local machines, as opposed to using the standard line editor.

Requirements
Use of the protocol requires a special MUME-aware client to receive the files and launch your favorite editor on your local machine.

Notable clients that support the protocol

* powwow -- unix/windows/mac command line client (from the early 90s)
* powtty -- windows port of powwow using putty (from the late 90s)

Using the protocol with powwow or powtty
Set the POWWOWEDITOR and POWWOWPAGER environment variable and type "#I" to initialize the protocol, which will automatically set you to "change edit
mume" and "change pager mume". Refer to your client documentation for more detailed information about setting environment variables.

Important note for Powtty users: Make sure you check the "Use MUME local editing" option in the PowTTY category of the configuration menu.

Note for client implementors
The source code for the powwow client contains the defacto reference implementation protocol; the powwow source is available for download on the MUME website.

See also: "CHANGE EDITOR"