What would you change?

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Indigo

Re: What would you change?

Post by Indigo »

Agree 100% about the track/move costs.
meian

Post by meian »

The ability to use Chunks of Salt as projectiles for slingshots, and for them to do some damage when used against Slugs.

Same with holding a Chunk of Salt...

rem sword --> hold salt --> hit Slug
I'm a GIRL who plays MUME. =3
Fankil

Post by Fankil »

Awesome idea Meian!
Fankil - Servant of Morgoth (Shaper)
Taelesse

Post by Taelesse »

I would delete deathtraps! all of them!
Zinc

Post by Zinc »

A remote client to login to so all client settings are visible to gods. I dont see why anyone would dislike the imp of this one either except the less desirable characters.

I would also love a link cap, but suspect that would drive away everyone but the Aussies :(
horis

Post by horis »

indeed deathtraps do seem a bit worthless.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

An official, and mandatory, client wouldn't prevent cheating. All it would do is make it a little harder and most of all annoy the people who doesn't like it for whatever personal reason (like "bad" syntax, "bad" UI, "bad" colours, "bad" performance, "bad" whatever) and those who can't get the client to run on their platform of choice. (Pretty much like DRM systems mostly just annoy people who are using the "product" in a legal way, while it doesn't really stop people from using it in an illegal way.)

IMO all an official and mandatory client would achieve is a decrease of the playerbase, and even more so when it comes to new players. Not because people can't cheat with it but simply because they don't like it (for whatever reason).
Belamir

Post by Belamir »

Regarding death traps: From what I understand, 'instant' death traps are no longer being built into new areas; the move is away from them, and towards things like mudlled damage falls, 'delayed' death traps, etc.

At least I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure if anything is being done about 'old' instant death traps, but I agree that I'd like to see them replaced and removed. The idea I've always found a bit absurd. If I'm exploring, I'm always looking where I'm going and I never hit them. If I'm running through an area I've been through 100 times before, that is when I'm most likely to hit a death trap. A simple mis-spam, usually. I have such a hard time figuring out what the 'in-character' action of my character was in those cases. Did I just run off a cliff because I wasn't looking where I was going? Who does that?

The panic of fleeing makes the best excuse for hitting a death trap, but you can't flee into one of the 'old' (i.e., instant) death traps. (And, of course, there's the argument that 99% of the time, the person fleeing is using it for an 'orderly retreat,' not a paniced run, but that's almost another discussion.) You can, of course, flee into the mudlled damage falls and the 'delayed' death traps, which makes sense to me.
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

Belamir wrote: I'm not sure if anything is being done about 'old' instant death traps, but I agree that I'd like to see them replaced and removed.
Old "instant DTs" are being removed. For example, the tower south of Fornost, where the werewolf stands outside, that used to have an "instant DT" -- the down exit from inside. That's gone now; there's no "down" at all.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

The problem with many old dts is that they're quite pointless, or even silly. Those old instant dts definitely should be removed. And the werewolf one is one of them. However, in some instances the place simply has to be an instant dt. For example the Rivendell waterfall. Or if we think about potential future zones then the Rauros waterfall certainly should be an instant dt as well, although recoverable.
horis

Post by horis »

Indeed but for realism sake do you think someone is going to walk into a waterfall? Scouting around running around right into a waterfall?
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Normally indeed not. But the environment itself should not so much reflect what people might do or might not do, but rather what the environment is supposed to be like. If the player is careful he won't run into a dt anyhow. A roaring waterfall is a pretty likely to be a dt after all and I'm sure the "dir descs" (as in what you see when you "look dirX") and room names (mostly visible through "exits") make it easy for a careful traveller to avoid dts.

Thus, people's carefulness should be reflected through their actions, not through the layout of the landscape.
Civril

Post by Civril »

If it is possible to walk into a waterfall but not reasonable to do so then it should have an exit flag just like sunlight for trolls.
"exit" command should also mark it. In addition to the room name it could add some equivalent of "Dangerous place to wonder" both for insta and timed DTs (underwater swimming included). Then it would be up to a players knowledge to know if it's a risky passage to the rewarding area or just a stupid move to make.
Something like:
East: Pit of fire - looks hot and dangerous to walk in
Down: Bottom of the lake - go there if bored of your life
“Hey you, goblin. Uh, put on this magic helmet. Yeah, I know you're attacking me, but look, shiny helmet. Shiny!”
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Or, in the case of a steep cliff or a waterfall:
"You have to climb to go there."
"Climbing down looks very difficult and falling would cause a great deal of damage."
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Civril, I believe the "direction descriptions" serve the purpose you're trying to give "exits". If a person sees a room-name in "exits" which doesn't look very nice and doesn't bother to read the direction description, then we can just conclude that he wasn't careful.
Fallujah

Post by Fallujah »

Probably one of two things:

Level setup (like Rogon, although I'd like to make all levels above 25 nogain to the characters)

or

Halve the partial reroll/reprac/agereset times for retired legends and introduce a total reroll after 1 year of retirement.
Ulixes

Post by Ulixes »

... although I'd like to make all levels above 25 nogain to the characters
For others, that is one of the most exciting part of MUME ;)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

I agree with Ulixes, if you reduce gains after lvl25 you will have the problem of people losing motivation to play because "there's nothing much to gain anyway". I mean, look at the lvl100 characters as examples. Only a few (Woland, Stolb) have played their characters after reaching lvl100, others have simply retired the character (for good).
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Andróg wrote:I agree with Ulixes, if you reduce gains after lvl25 you will have the problem of people losing motivation to play because "there's nothing much to gain anyway". I mean, look at the lvl100 characters as examples. Only a few (Woland, Stolb) have played their characters after reaching lvl100, others have simply retired the character (for good).
Looking at World of Warcraft levels are capped at 70 and it is reachable by nearly everyone on the server. The major difference in that game is that they constantly raise the "gear-levels" and (nearly) everyone is allowed to gain these "gear-levels" to improve their character's relative power. One of the benefits of their system is that it is easy to quickly jump into the game at the same level as everyone else. The problem with MUME is that nobody can easily jump into the game and then have a level 60+ character within a couple months since we stress "character-levels" rather than "gear-levels".

Setting a level cap is a possibility, but this is merely a problem for PvE players since they have no amusement for continuing play after level 25. PvP players will always have the warpoint system for their amusement so levels aren't nearly as important there. I propose adding an additional 'point' system for PvE players along with a warlord list. For example, it could be some sort of a gear-based system where more gear gives more points, similar to what the Zaugurz have with their credit. This is, of course, just a brain-storm. Any other suggestions would be welcome :-)
Aglach

Post by Aglach »

I think Jaharra is on to something.