Let's put together a newbie guide.

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Shax

Re: Let's put together a newbie guide.

Post by Shax »

here is a good website with maps and EQ info that hasn't been mentioned at all. (don't think i've seen it posted)

http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/games.html

anyways some good info for the new player i'm not sure how out of date the EQ stats are though.
Elemmakil

Post by Elemmakil »

Haven't really read the thread, but what if there was a tutorial that all players who answered yes to being a newbie went to?
Peapend

Post by Peapend »

Make this sticky for newbies/contributions?
Turd

Post by Turd »

Anyone adding to this thread anymore? :P
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

By the way... if someone has a good idea for a new helpfile or additions or changes to our newbie-helpfiles, feel free to send me stuff.

I think something like a short overview over the classes and if they are suggested for new players or so could be useful.
gilundur

Post by gilundur »

on this subject, it would be worth it to emphasize how important the bandage skill is. i've died multiple times from dirty wounds and don't have any available practices until my next level unfortunately.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Concerning newbie guides, I got this question to everybody here:

Did you read the Guides posted on class-boards (that'd be clerics', warriors', mages' and thieves' boards) or not? And how useful did you consider them?

Personally all my first characters were warriors and I read the stuff on Warrior board several times - it was very helpful. Cross-referencing that with help files helped me even more. Now, I'm asking because maybe I was an exception to the general trend, or?
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Yes and useful. I'm not fairly sure on the details anymore, are the ones that are there outdated?
gilundur

Post by gilundur »

i know either the mage board in grey havens or a book in the library mentioned 2800 baud modem speeds, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the information is outdated...its kind of hard to tell, what with being a newbie and all.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

They're not horribly outdated, but they could be better. And if people are reading them, then it might be worth considering also posting updates on these boards as part of the "better guides for newbies" development.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I've actually thought about posting new information on the classes guild board, regarding how to play different aspects, what to prac and so on. Of course, without giving away any flat information, so they still have to experiment. (Think Vaina's cleric guide, but more up to date).
Arly

Post by Arly »

Thanik i love you for staartin this thread, i'm afraid i haven't read it fully tho, i like this kind of newbie helping things and once i come back from my retirement_because_of_school_and_work_and_also_a_burned_PC i will add my efforts to the cause~

oh and hi jahara
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

burned PC? That sounds pretty serious :shock:
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Probably the result of an extreme MUME-addiction? :ugeek:

I had a look at the warriors' board guides. The latest one (from 2003) is up to date in most things, however changes in the fields of armour and stats (mostly the training-possibility) have made the guide somewhat outdated. Could use an update too. I'll put it on my to-do list (it's getting long...), when I get other things done and no one has updated it, then I'll have a look at it.
Valictour

Post by Valictour »

Hi, I am a newbie to this, and i was wondering what I do to start playing and things like that?
Brummbaer

Post by Brummbaer »

Valictour wrote:Hi, I am a newbie to this, and i was wondering what I do to start playing and things like that?
Why, just create a character that takes your fancy, and start wandering around! That's what I did in the far-off distant days when I was new to MUME. Ah, the joys of getting lost in the Blue Mountains...

The in-game texts (that no-one seems to read any more) contain *loads* of useful information for the beginner, albeit, as previous contributors to this thread have mentioned, in somewhat indigestible format for those who don't like reading long screeds of text. In particular, every library has several books that should be read and digested by the new character. My personal favourite is "Riches at Your Feet". There are also various bulletin boards, some more useful than others.

So, pick a sneaky hobbit thief or sturdy Eriadorian warrior or whatever, pray to your home town, sit down in your local library and learn about this strange new world, then venture forth into it. It's what I did, and I've had a great time over the years.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I'd recommend a somewhat sturdy starting character (a warrior of some sort). Mages are more fragile, cannot do a lot (namely: do damage or cast spells) on lower levels.

I also recommend reading all those nice helpfiles... no need to read them all at once, but reading HELP NEWBIE and those mentioned there actually helps a lot for a beginner.
The most important (apart from HELP NEWBIE) are: BASICS, FAQ1, FAQ2, FAQ3, FAQ4, FAQ5, KIT.

You can also ask questions here in the forum or in the game, via the unfinished tales aka narrates (HELP NARRATE).
Locram

Post by Locram »

I made a cleric/mage guide!
Check out the in game boards.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

I read it, I like it. *thumbs up*
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

One more thing, I reviewed the Guides available on the scout board today. That board badly needs to be updated. Right now it has two guides posted, one from 1996, one from 1999. The 1996 one (post 1015) is so horribly outdated that it should be removed from the board ASAP, only thing it's good for is misleading newbies!

Other one also has it's weaker parts, but at least it's partly usable. Still, that board badly needs a new Guide! Any scout-player out there who would be willing to help out?