Search, Reveal and Flush

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Wobbler

Search, Reveal and Flush

Post by Wobbler »

Perhaps this should be labelled idea, perhaps not.

I find it quite annoying that I, or one of my groupmates, can be backstabbed while I am spamming reveal quick. Either the delay should be shortened or it should just be impossible to backstab in a room where an enemy is actively revealing or flushing (yes, even sleeping people guarded by the revealer/flusher). Search obviously should not protect an entire room.

I also find it quite annoying that someone can sneak into my room, do something to reveal himself (backstab someone, open a door, loot a corpse, shoot an arrow, etc) and then walk out while I am in the process of flushing. The ongoing flush should cause me to immediately attack the sneaker that has revealed himself.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Parrafin

Re: Search, Reveal and Flush

Post by Parrafin »

if someone is sneaking or hidden and seeks the path into rivendell, which is also hidden does that reveal them, and if so, why?
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

I think there should be at least a good chance of you finding them while they are stabbing if your revealing. I totally agree with the flush idea, thats a great point.

And it reveals you when you search for rivendell, I'd assume because you are searching the ground for hidden clues, which would likely cause you to leave any cover you were behind while sneaking.
Gruenthar

Post by Gruenthar »

Being stabbed while revealing/flushing is a very common complaint, but I have yet to see anyone complain about being stabbed while flushing normally or thoroughly. I realize that the delay on a thorough flush is long enough for the stab to go through first, which is why it is not done. But why do you expect to always see a superb sneaker when you are just looking around quickly (especially when many characters have no pracs in awareness)? Could he not simply wait until you are looking the other way?

I do see the sense in automatically engaging enemies if you are flushing when they reveal themselves.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Gruenthar wrote:But why do you expect to always see a superb sneaker when you are just looking around quickly (especially when many characters have no pracs in awareness)? Could he not simply wait until you are looking the other way?
Then I should also be able to stand back-to-back with a groupmate or two to make sure we cover a full circle.
A normal search/reveal/flush is already slower than a backstab and thus completely pointless.

Also, I never heard of anyone having an easier time saving backstabs with max awareness or paranoid alertness (not that anyone would ever have enough moves to both be paranoid and track).
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Parrafin

Post by Parrafin »

Wobbler wrote:
Gruenthar wrote:But why do you expect to always see a superb sneaker when you are just looking around quickly (especially when many characters have no pracs in awareness)? Could he not simply wait until you are looking the other way?
Then I should also be able to stand back-to-back with a groupmate or two to make sure we cover a full circle.
A normal search/reveal/flush is already slower than a backstab and thus completely pointless.

Also, I never heard of anyone having an easier time saving backstabs with max awareness or paranoid alertness (not that anyone would ever have enough moves to both be paranoid and track).
So when you practice 'search' and 'awareness' you can't increase the speed of reveal?
Syd

Post by Syd »

It increases your chances of finding the person doing the stabbing. Also, awareness pracced will make stabs fail more often.
Thanik

Post by Thanik »

Awareness helps quite a lot. I always put 2 pracs in now.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

Not sure how much awareness helps with avoiding being stabbed at all (I reveal all the time more or less) but it does help significantly when chasing sneaking scouts, until they manage to hide among some aggressive mobs then it's useless.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Being stabbed while revealing/flushing is a very common complaint
From my own experience this is only possible if you started your reveal too late (i.e. 0.5 sec or less before the actual backstab landing time). In cases that could end like that I usually move out of the room rather than risking that the reveal will be late.

Alertness paranoid as a defense against backstab is just a joke. No sane player would use that as it works atm.

Still I see the need to reveal constantly as annoying. If alertness paranoid somehow realized the searching automatically, it would make playing so much easier. It would however gotta have similar requirements as revealing. As it is now it seems to me that impact of being paranoid on regen is too harsh (while giving you no reliable defence vs stabbers anyway). I could even imagine making standing targets (that are not in middle of any delayed action such as casting etc.) unstabbable, and make stab work only on resting, sleeping, blind and somewhat delayed. To balance that, regeneration rate while not resting would have to be lowered dramatically (to motivate ppl to rest) and somehow problem with mobs that never rest would have to be solved as well (which could be big problem, so I don't see this happening. :-))

Also I would prefer completely different sneak. Much slower one, but more useful one for scouting purposes (no insta reveal when some1 enters on you while sneaking etc.). So it would not be used as often for retreating purposes, but mostly for spying and backstabbing. (It would be harder for ppl to reveal sneakers, but once revealed, they would have hard time sneaking away.)