[Project] Supermobs

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

Re: [Project] Supermobs

Post by Gothmog »

Thank you for all the contributions! Plenty of good ideas in this thread.
Thanik

Post by Thanik »

How about if GC glowed? :P
Bök

Post by Bök »

First load something descent into DK area, imho one of the best areas (the game atmosphere).
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

IMO, supermobs dont have enough of the 'dangerous' feel about them. They're always located in one room and they never move. People always feel safe one room away and its always set in stages like: Ok we've finished the first set of mobs, move on to the 2nd. I would like to see more of a random factor into smob zones which make surprises more common.

1. Randomize the number of mobs loading, and the locations/ are theywalking around
2. Randomize the room 'connections' making it so that people cannot simply spam around without having to scout out beforehand and figure out 'where' they are.
3. Make more rooms slippery like in unqalome/make rope more wanted! This would make going down a 'steep' slope instead of a simple endeavor into more of a adventure of having to plan ahead and more chances of someone leaving the group and having to find their way back.
4. Have more muddle surrounding the rooms of smobs! This would mean messages of 'feeling, or hearing, or smelling' -something ominous- to create more of an atmosphere of adventure!
5. The mauve effect- I would like for single people to 'notice' things randomly in the rooms and have them go "wow! look at that!" and then they can tell the rest of the group and then the group can 'examine' the thing in the room.

I'm just trying to make smobs more fun for the casual player.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

4. and 5. sound more like annoying spam than any atmospheric enhancement.

2. had better mean random like the BM spiders rather than the kind of random exits we have at Lord today, which are nothing but a mobdeath trap for slowlinked players.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

If there are any changes made to supermobs, it would be great if they are not of the kind that creates Lord-like mobdeathtraps for slowlinked players.

I also have some ideas for how one could change the Lord area into something less link-dependant, although it hardly makes it more "interesting" or "exciting"

1. Replace the randomexits and odd loops in the area where the nobles wander with a reshape mudlle of the kind at the BM spiders, letting the chambers reshape every time Lord pops.
2. Make two of the wandering nobles stick with Lord (i.e. 4 in that room).
3. Make the remaining ones patrol in groups of 3.
4. Make the wandering nobles hunt.

All in all, I think this would make Lord harder to kill for players with a <25 ms link but less of a certain mobdeath for people with >250 ms link.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Vardamir

Post by Vardamir »

Wobbler wrote:
All in all, I think this would make Lord harder to kill for players with a <25 ms link but less of a certain mobdeath for people with >250 ms link.
I think that if your group is going to have trouble with the wights you'll be aware of it - long before you run yourself low on hitpoints (even before you enter the area - which makes entering on a bad link with a weak group extremely stupid). If you enter that area alone to kill the smob solo, on an awful link, then you almost deserve to mobdie.

What's the problem and what has link got to do with it?
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

The problem is that I can roam the area unhindered thanks to my link, whereas there are many who have died in there even with a decent group because they got separated by the randomexits and then died because of their slower link.
Lord is probably the most link-dependant smob of them all, probably even the only truely link-dependant one.
Vardamir

Post by Vardamir »

If the group was decent they would never get separated...

...and what you're saying is that we should change all mobs that autofollow, for example the main part of moria, Muranog, black uruks, bloodwight, tharbad guards, ferocious wargs and all the orkish patrols. Hell, even the experienced explorer is deadly to slow-linked people!

Oh and there's a thread about link-cap you may find interesting.
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Gothmog »

This thread has served its purpose, again I'd like to thank you all for your thoughts!