Game mechanics basically

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Elmir

Game mechanics basically

Post by Elmir »

So, I play a level 71 warrior, which is cool. I like him being a warrior, because I get a few more hps than every other character. And that is seriously all I get from practicing warrior skills. I have EVERYTHING practiced in the warrior guild, except a few pracs in cure light and bless (5 ob is downright awesome).

What I do dislike about all of this is that an orc bashes me. Fine, he bashes me, I got an ok link, let's live with it. But then he harms me.

I get what? 30 hps from having all of my pracs in the warriors guild? And yet someone bashes me and then HARMS me?

I know, I shouldn't play a pure class character. It sucks. I don't regurarely, I play a bashing warrior with charm. Why? Because the last 10 pracs in bash is useless, and the last 30 pracs in endurance is more than useless.

Why do I complain? Because I love my warrior, I love him as much as I love my mage in plain cloth, I think they're worth something. They are, unfortunately, one of a kind.

I don't have an idea how to make this better really, I like 'em both. I just don't think a combo should bash faster/just as fast as a REAL warrior. It kills the class.
Sarai

Re: Game mechanics basically

Post by Sarai »

You mean I'm not the only one who thinks that mages should wear cloth?

*Tears up.*

Perhaps having all practices in the warrior's guild should give a defensive and offensive bonus, and perhaps a mage sans armor should have his spells hit a bit harder.
Elmir

Post by Elmir »

I wear cloth as my mage :) But I'd rather have the chance to dodge and land a spell than absorb 5 hps.

I'm just saying it is not worth it to be a pure class. My charming(!), bashing(!), caster(!), warrior(!), bashes just as fast. I out bashed a troll, he fled once and he was dead. Sure, he was level 19 but still.

Pound, eagle hit, bash, eagle hit, pound, eagle hit, pound, flee, approach, quick bolt, eagle hit, dead.

Give me a break. Why even bother being a pure caster? As Azazello said in an earlier thread: I don't even think max mentals is necessary, because of levels.
Grúmsh

Post by Grúmsh »

Thats the bane of skill-based playing system instead of level-based one. In skill-based system Combos>Pure classes, and in MUME its even bigger gap, since classes arent balanced skill choice wise. But level based system wich allows taking multiple classes is very hard to balance.

Maybe it would be interesting if you gained levels in classes and got pracs only for that guild (all pracs could be used for general skills). But for that to work, class levels would need to have much larger impact. And it would create exact oposite, combos beeing weaker (maybe close to useless..)...and i think its not worth the whines from certain always whining people.

I really enjoy playing my pure shaman, and i mean PURE with no outside pracs, in cloth and with staff ! But the truth is, its kinda useless character. I dont bash, therefor i almost never land a solid spell :x
Sarai

Post by Sarai »

Grúmsh wrote:I really enjoy playing my pure shaman, and i mean PURE with no outside pracs, in cloth and with staff ! But the truth is, its kinda useless character. I dont bash, therefor i almost never land a solid spell :x
Aren't orcs kind of forced into the dual-class role because of their stats?
Grúmsh

Post by Grúmsh »

Sarai wrote:
Grúmsh wrote:I really enjoy playing my pure shaman, and i mean PURE with no outside pracs, in cloth and with staff ! But the truth is, its kinda useless character. I dont bash, therefor i almost never land a solid spell :x
Aren't orcs kind of forced into the dual-class role because of their stats?
I dont like beeing one clone out of many...therefore Grúmsh is max Int/Wis/Wil orc. Many call it useless, i call it funny. :D
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I think it would be nice if bashing skill affected bashing speed.

I also think it would be nice if weaponskills had a greater impact in melee combat - right now they are the least important factor, except for xping lowbies. A weaponskill at 100% gives 20 ob with an appropriate weapon. 25 levels give 125 ob for a pure warrior. Equipment can give anything from -15 to +40 ob total.

The problem with wearing dodge eq instead of absorb eq is parrysplit. 65 db + 90 pb = 95 defence split between 3 opponents, not particularly impressive. Perhaps reworking (or downright removing) parrysplit would encourage some types of characters to not wear the heaviest type of armour they can carry...
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

Usually combos have to pay for their extra abilities.

For example:
A combo-warriors get extra dodge and ability to carry more weight for shield spell, but now they have this must to watch their shield spell and always have mana to recast it. This adds a possibility of soft-spot and given some timing it can lead to bad consequences.

Most combo's are designed for some kind of situations. The harming-bashing shaman would most likely prefer 1vs1 with a warrior in a 1 roomer, but in a few more rooms the puke warrior should have an upper hand. The harming shamans can not have extremely high ob.

So generally you pay with your hps/ob/pb/stats/regen/ability to spam more without a mount/damage on spells-hits/ warrior or shaman level for those extra abilities and what it takes is a better conformance of a combo and your own playstyle. For instance i do not like the way i made Ennor to be at the moment. :-/
130-135 ob is too little for my taste, even on combo.

Combo's are just more fun to play. And they are much more fun for people like me who just LOVE to see the char developing. You get a level on a warrior and what happens? Yay you've got 1 ob, probably and a few hit points! Well, you can assume that your spellsave and damage has risen a bit and other things may be became better, but you can not see it.
As combo you can really FEEL it :-) ob, db, pb, hps, manacost for spells, effect of spells (armour %, shield -> db, duration), damage on spells etc :-)
Elmir

Post by Elmir »

Yeah, 'cause I don't know my combos ;).

So remind me again, Azazello, pure warrior, right?
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

Elmir wrote:Yeah, 'cause I don't know my combos ;).

So remind me again, Azazello, pure warrior, right?
shield, armour, bob, cure serious, remove poison, word of recall and shocking grasp. :-)
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

The funny thing about this is that when Mume VIII came out everyone was of the opinoin that single-class training styles were the way to go now and there was massive complaint that the new system was too limiting in this way. It was not until later that people experimented more with combos and learned how to properly design and train them. And as far as Elmir and his 'pure' warrior goes, I dunno, if you are level 71 and don't even practice dodge I think its more your choice to limit yourself that way.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Indigo wrote:The funny thing about this is that when Mume VIII came out everyone was of the opinoin that single-class training styles were the way to go now and there was massive complaint that the new system was too limiting in this way.
Did you mean to write VII instead of VIII?
As far as I remember, the hybrids were already popping up by VIII. On the other hand, the average level of the legends that existed when VII came around was not very suitable for hybrids.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.