Voluntary deletion?

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Liyun

Voluntary deletion?

Post by Liyun »

I was wondering if it was possible to delete a character without having to wait for the inactive deletion.
Wobbler

Re: Voluntary deletion?

Post by Wobbler »

It is particularly annoying when characters who have been scheduled to delete !NOW! survive multiple reboots.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Vortenos

Post by Vortenos »

My experience is mostly in LPMuds, but there it was a simple 'rm <filename>' from an administrator. I am only recently returning to MUDing after a decade in graphic games, but I vaguely recall that Diku's store players differently (I never coded on a Diku). Perhaps one of the Valar can help.
All extremists should be shot.
dianos

Post by dianos »

I've asked to have characters of mine deleted a few times. From memory, the Valar never actually delete the characters, they just rename them. I think they are able to rename a character and even disassociated the character from its account, but not delete it. (So if I wanted "Dianos" to be deleted, he may be renamed to "DianosIsDeleted" and moved into an account that I can't see.)

I'd like to be able to delete characters myself, and I'm not really sure why it isn't an option.
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

There are good reasons why we don't allow speedy deletions.
  • Drunk people
  • People playing "friends" account
  • Hacked accounts
The list goes on... Now, if someone gets hold of your password, all you can lose is eq and maybe a level.

There have been discussions about allowing a speedy delete. Where speedy means a couple of weeks.
Liyun

Post by Liyun »

How to delete your character in a couple of weeks:

Hit LOTS of guards.
Wait until you are "of sound mind"
repeat until level one.

How about 3-5 days?