Promoting MUME

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Freyja

Promoting MUME

Post by Freyja »

As this important topic was missing...Someone should make it sticky as well ;)
We should put different game page links here and if anyone has seen some article on the web or on the paper.
Here should be banners and links as well for website ads.

I'll start :)
Visiting those links and voting/clicking will give our game a better rank!
The MUD Connector: Go to the page and Vote!
Top Mud Sites: Go to the page and Vote!
Mud Magic: Needs a registration or account login for rating!
RPG.sg: Vote!
Last edited by Freyja on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
White: Fayth, Maris, Ginger
Dark: Kika
Bear playing help site: [url]hhttp://beornings.tk[/url]
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

Re: Promoting MUME

Post by Gothmog »

*sticky*
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

Ewww, gross!
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

I would also like to mention that part of promoting MUME would be enhancing the website or wiki. Since the website project seems to have died down, the wiki is still something everyone can slowly add to on a day-by-day basis.

Please edit the wiki! :-D
ghalad

Post by ghalad »

I actually find it quite annoying how often these sites reset thier counters, I religiously vote every day, enjoy watching MUME progressing up the tables (yes, I know, I'm sad) and then they reset :cry: Are there anyother MUD counters that we could use?

I also note that on things like www.thenoobcomic.com banners with links are highly successful, would it be possible to move towards this?
A happy person may not have the best of everything, but makes the best of everything.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Jahara wrote:I would also like to mention that part of promoting MUME would be enhancing the website or wiki. Since the website project seems to have died down, the wiki is still something everyone can slowly add to on a day-by-day basis.

Please edit the wiki! :-D
Why has the website project died?
Babanovac

Post by Babanovac »

I've noticed that there are people on the mudconnector forum asking around for advices on what muds to play. The forum is pretty active, so i posted some replies presenting MUME to players looking for a mud. Problem is that MUME is the only mud i ever played so i don't really know what are the special features of MUME comparing to other muds. These people are usually experienced mud players so they know what they are looking for. For all i know MUME could suck from their fpoint of view, compared to other muds, i couldn't tell.
Anyway, i thought it would be a good way to bring more attention to our game.
coyote

Post by coyote »

Babanovac wrote:I've noticed that there are people on the mudconnector forum asking around for advices on what muds to play. The forum is pretty active, so i posted some replies presenting MUME to players looking for a mud. Problem is that MUME is the only mud i ever played so i don't really know what are the special features of MUME comparing to other muds. These people are usually experienced mud players so they know what they are looking for. For all i know MUME could suck from their fpoint of view, compared to other muds, i couldn't tell.
Anyway, i thought it would be a good way to bring more attention to our game.
Some links to some threads would help, their forums are atrocious. ;)
Babanovac

Post by Babanovac »

The links where mud advertising is allowed are these:
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discu ... promotions on mudconnect
and
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/advertising-players/ on topmusites

From time to time people post here a thread asking for advice on what muds to play.
Chark

Post by Chark »

LOL I just checked some forum in Mudconnect and some muds are advertising DOUBLE XP for limited period of time. I want double xp in Mume too! WAIT! While you are at it, why not make it triple! :roll:
shibeka

Post by shibeka »

Banners would be cool, "Sure you can click at monsters but have you the mind of a warrior? MUME"

Achaea gets those Top Mud Site numbers by interrupting play with notifications, ironic, as they enforce a purist RP view. MUME wouldn't message in game in my opinion, but I don't think a notice in the log in area would be pushy, nothing to do there but think anyway. A small notice about how more people benefit play and how to direct the browser (if possible) from mud clients to vote would be helpful, and web addresses.

We could team forum boards, I had seen two MUME players bring two new players to the game on Something Awful, though I did not want to pay the 10 dollars to pursue. Newsgroups, discussions about the game there, maybe something like rec gaming, if there is one, which sounds really newgroup-ish. Alt MUME? Maybe gaming websites devoted to no particular 3d game or live chat, If there is a team it would not be spammy and challenging, and even spam notices. I have seen so much of it I hate, why not some I like. OK that is a bit over the top.

Demographic: young 3d burn outs, edu egg heads, 90s nostalgia people, ... guessing.

I do think there needs to be a quick start kit that only newbies can find, though they would have to newbie quest for stuff if the Ainur were not around to give kits. Perhaps a bot, forgive the irreverence, to give out the quests. Then too, the quick start help file is very pro-gamer, rather then reading all the things you need to survive, some minimal advice and a warning.

Perhaps dissimulation, start a rumour that people are returning to text games because the medium is not confined. etc.

I do think people will return to text games, there is nothing like it, and though seeing a 3d fireball is a lot of fun, I have seen them.
science

Post by science »

Ok, I'll try and click those links every day or so... horray for promotion, thanks for having them handy here.
Babanovac

Post by Babanovac »

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/adver ... p-pvp.html

this guys is looking for a PK mud, and we all know which one is te best :)
harell

Post by harell »

Ok.. someone may have brought this up before, but has anyone ever thought about integrating a reward system for helping newbies (ppl with new accounts that is)? It seems like promotion is very much needed, but its all a waste if we don't retain those that actually try mume out. :)

We would have to be creative on how it worked or what the reward would be so as to avoid abusing it or encourage multi-accounting, but I think it could work.. A system may be set-up to where a new account player accepts an "apprenticeship" with an experienced mumer. The experienced mumer could possibly receive some sort of reward based on the amount of time the apprentice logs, their levels, pk kills, etc.

The rewards would not have to be monumental, but at least someting to encourage people to help out newbies. It seems like every time I log, there is narrate about something like.. "Whats are good things to kill for a level 2 warrior?" ... And mume being the loving community that it is will spam about 4 answers with everything from "Balrog" to "Harell's mom rl" (yes, that was an actual narrate) All joking aside though, I try to help out newbies as much as I can, but lets be honest... we log on to either idle, xp/tp or go find some opposite side race to kill. But if there was a way to motivate the average mumer to help, then I think we would see a lot more new account retention.

Being the analysis freak that I am, I would love to see all the numbers of new accounts/frequentation statistics. Even if we had something similar to ER's statistic pages, we would at least be able to see how we are doing on a consistent basis.

I am definitely not trying to be negative, but I almost didn't post this because it seems like there are tons of great ideas already posted, but the top-level management remains quiet. (at least to the everyday mumer) :(
Matu

Post by Matu »

By the way, my thread about MUME on one of the best forums on the web has received over 6000 views in two months. If anyone is a Goon, go and post there to keep the thread alive. It's found here.
harell

Post by harell »

My attempts to help keep the aforementioned discussion going were quickly thwarted by the $9.95 registration fee. :(

It got me thinkin though... There are plenty of free forums that I'm sure would be interested in hearing about Mume. I'll try to poke around a bit today and see if I can start some Mume discussions in some random gaming forums.. possibly even tolkien forums. To me, this seems like a great form of exposure that the everyday mumer can take an active role in. ;)

I know some links for mud related threads have already been posted, but for some reason I want to target those that don't even know what a mud is. The "demographic," if you will, just seems more promising to me. TMC junkies, for example, will probably jump from mud to mud without any real commitment. But if we can find the people that are just willing to try something different, then we got a real shot at getting them hooked. :) The mud-virgins are the ones with the real player-base growing potential.

I will of course post the links to the forums here and I would encourage others to do so as well. The threads will be 100x more effective if they become a discussion as opposed to a spam advertisement.

Also... I was poking around on some of the top rated TMC muds just to see what they were like (I'm not a traitor... it was for informational purposes only!). I did notice something implemented in quite a few that I would love to see in Mume. It was for all new accounts to list how they heard about the mud. Can you imagine if we knew exactly what the root cause of every new account being created was? This would give us a huge advantage in seeing what was working and what wasn't... thus allowing us to focus our efforts in the direction that is most beneficial to Mume.

This, of course, would take the involvement of someone with code level access. (Love you guys ;))
Veritasmos

Post by Veritasmos »

I am pretty new to this game and I have to say, it doesn't really need promotion. I am 22 now and I have known the game exists since before I could drive. My buddy in high school used to talk about how he figured out how to ruin this text-based game for everyone by spamming out random characters. I believe he is the reason IP-banning was implemented. Anyway, I mentioned it to him again last week and he laughed and said it was actually something worth doing if you ever have lots of free time.

Since trying the game, I am pretty well addicted and my girlfriend doesn't like it when I tell her about it, even though she loves LotR and turned me onto the books heavily. Well, she might like it, but pretends not to because she likes to give me the business.

It seems like anyone who knows anything about MUD (whatever that stands for) is going to know about MUME already - and anyone with the patience for a MUD is going to naturally gravitate toward this classic game. After all, I have played EverQuest Online Adventures for PS2 and I have to say, the whole game is just MUME with graphics.

The advertising is still probably a good idea, though, because I don't know anything about MUDs except that, as a professional writer, I would be in heaven working and writing on one; because this is my kind of thing.
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Sounds like you need to make a god and help out with building. :-)
Veritasmos

Post by Veritasmos »

I would totally do that, but I don't know where to begin. Is the development team looking for specific help?