Quitting Mume

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Thaq

Quitting Mume

Post by Thaq »

be honest... how many times have you quit mume only to come back?

me.... too many to count.
coyote

Re: Quitting Mume

Post by coyote »

Let's see.

-Back in '91-'93ish, I quit because I got grounded too often for staying up playing on school nights until 1-3am. Didn't play until I was in High School a couple years later.
-In High School I played casually, mostly because I dabbled in a few other MUDs. Quit when I went to college, '97.
-After my first round of college, I started MUDding again in '00-'01 while I was living in a big house, and one of my roommates also MUDded a lot and got me back into it. Quit a year or two later.
-In '04-'05 I had too much free time and hated where I was living (also had no 'net connectivity 'cause I was brokeass poor,) so I went down to a local Coffee-Shop/Bar/Internet Cafe on days when I wasn't working or in class (back in college, btw,) and got a few pretty powerful characters, then kind of lost interest as my coursework picked up.
-Today, this last week or two in fact, I'm back again. :)
Kaool

Post by Kaool »

I initially played Mume from around 1993 until 1996 during the Mume III days. I was one of the fortunate ones who found Mume after they had already graduated college (91), but I could sense how the desire to play Mume interfered with career aspirations and real life. Back in those days you would connect to Mume via a relay site at uicu.edu or what not and people played over 2400 baud modems.

I managed to completely forget about Mume and frankly assumed it no longer existed until Peter Jackson created / directed the first of LOTR movies in 2001. It made me wonder if Mume still existed and I performed a couple Google searches to find out. That was probably a bad decision since I ended up playing Mume again from 2001 until around last September 2007.

At this point in my life I can honestly say I am done with Mume. I have taken all the mental energy I reserved or dedicated for Mume and have directed it towards the Stock Market. It has been 9 months since I last played Mume and I found this site tonight after drinking some scotch and not being able to think of a web site to kill a couple minutes before bed. In any event, I am not getting any younger (will be 39 in July -- but I am still not as old as Relim) and two young children are a lot more fun any day of the week.

Take care and I miss the late nights drinking beers and trolling around. The game of life can be quite interesting at times and I find the Stock Trading game a lot more real where money is as easy to make as backstabbing a newbie or digging some tunnels at OERMGW.
pinion

Post by pinion »

Kaool wrote:I initially played Mume from around 1993 until 1996 during the Mume III days. I was one of the fortunate ones who found Mume after they had already graduated college (91), but I could sense how the desire to play Mume interfered with career aspirations and real life. Back in those days you would connect to Mume via a relay site at uicu.edu or what not and people played over 2400 baud modems.

I managed to completely forget about Mume and frankly assumed it no longer existed until Peter Jackson created / directed the first of LOTR movies in 2001. It made me wonder if Mume still existed and I performed a couple Google searches to find out. That was probably a bad decision since I ended up playing Mume again from 2001 until around last September 2007.

At this point in my life I can honestly say I am done with Mume. I have taken all the mental energy I reserved or dedicated for Mume and have directed it towards the Stock Market. It has been 9 months since I last played Mume and I found this site tonight after drinking some scotch and not being able to think of a web site to kill a couple minutes before bed. In any event, I am not getting any younger (will be 39 in July -- but I am still not as old as Relim) and two young children are a lot more fun any day of the week.

Take care and I miss the late nights drinking beers and trolling around. The game of life can be quite interesting at times and I find the Stock Trading game a lot more real where money is as easy to make as backstabbing a newbie or digging some tunnels at OERMGW.
See you when you get back! :D

For my own contribution I just recently started playing again after a year or two break. It is really funny how this game can draw you back in after so many absences. I've quit probably 4-5 times total over a 7-9 year period, but always return it seems. Nothing out there to this day can duplicate the intensity of Mume PK. No game makes my adrenaline rush and my breath quicken like MUME. The terrible losses if you die, the great spoils if you win, its a perfect PK game.

So I am enjoying my return, even though the many things that annoy me are still here -- WIDE OPEN 10x10 rooms in new zones ( and abr ford warrens ) horrid for PK, linkless death / issues, my own suckitude, etc et lol

But I will say this time around I installed a mapper (Pandora rocks!) and updated to JMC client using substitutions and other useful things. Almost makes it like playing a new game.
Asara

Post by Asara »

I've quit and started playing again many times - I'd say more than five, less than ten. The last time was about a month ago or so, when I bought LotR Online, was thoroughly disappointed and went back to MUME for a while, then returned to World of Warcraft and now I've started playing NetHack again - apparently, I can't concentrate on more than one game at a time. Anyway, this cycle might take me back to MUME soon.
romendacil

Post by romendacil »

hehe I came in '92 played for a couple years, almost trashed my degree.

left and didn't think much about it for a while, back in '01 briefly and sort of stumbled upon it again now in '08. In between played WoW, AC, TR, and too many other games to mention.
Eadig

Post by Eadig »

I've quit mume 4-5 times in my life, atm I'm 22, started playing 14-15. I still remember my first few days not putting the picture together in my head:) Still remember some chars who play even now:)
I spent my days in public university comp labs instead of going to school..
guess that's why I dropped out high school (I studied in elite school). I played terribly lot. Adrenaline rush what you get from pk is not matched by any game I've played:)
I managed to finish my school, now going to uni - (last year til 30.06 I was doing/serving my time in the army)
Haven't played for 2 years until now - picked char up some days ago..
ohwell, here I go again...:
:)

I'm trying to control myself now:) only few hours a day or over some days, hehe::)