I Know More than Everything!

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Wobbler

I Know More than Everything!

Post by Wobbler »

Does it bother anyone else that 100% is far from max knowledge in almost every skill, with some skills (track comes to mind) barely useful at "only" 100%?
I don't see a return to the superior prac system of MUME VI as likely, but how about a cosmetic change removing all those %-signs?
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Vardamir

Re: I Know More than Everything!

Post by Vardamir »

You've got it all wrong. The % you know is only compared to how much the guild knows.

Or did I get you wrong? I'm in a hurry, got to run! ;)
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Vardamir wrote:You've got it all wrong. The % you know is only compared to how much the guild knows.

Or did I get you wrong? I'm in a hurry, got to run! ;)
And the guilds being able to teach things they don't know themselves makes sense to you?
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Gothmog »

Just consider 100% an index relative percentile. At 100% in a skill, your skill level is exactly 100% of the index. The index in turn being an indicator for when somebody is "really, really good" at the skill. There you go, problem solved.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I suppose that would work.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Gothmog wrote:Just consider 100% an index relative percentile. At 100% in a skill, your skill level is exactly 100% of the index. The index in turn being an indicator for when somebody is "really, really good" at the skill. There you go, problem solved.
That would work only if your proficiency in a skill was based solely on the % you see in your skill. It is not exactly true though, as your pureness in guild also affects it in some mysterious way. Shortly after MUME VII was introduced, besides the actuall skill percentages you could have seen also your effective level in various guilds. These have been made invisible later, but it seems they still affect "how good" in a skill you are.

To sum it up: The actual power in given skill is product of the visible percentage in given skill and invisible effective level in relevant guild.

Conclusion: Some1 with 99% can still be better at given skill than some1 with 100%, even if they are of equal level, simply because they are pracced differently. Silly, but true...