Next zones for Building

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
romendacil

Next zones for Building

Post by romendacil »

Been away for a bit, can someone update me with the current and future building efforts?
Timodeus
Arata

Re: Next zones for Building

Post by Timodeus »

Type map g in MUME, you'll see a bunch of ? leading east through Mirkwood. That's the old forest road which will eventually (someday) pass through Mirkwood (where we go from there remains to be seen, probably north towards lonely mountain in a bunch of years). Then we connect the Anduin, that's the NS-connection between Vale and Lorien. From there, we go east, towards Dol Guldur (you know, the N where the Darkness originates).

That's the current/future efford. What did open in the last months is an area north/east of lorien and south of vale, along the before-mentioned connection.

And in case you ask - Isengard and Rohan still aren't finished. ;)
science

Post by science »

As a returning user from about 9 years ago, I just wanted to put in that I've been loving the lorien/tbad/moria/mirkwood areas tons. It adds an awesome adventuring aspect to the game to have so much territory to explore.

I can't wait until isengard and rohan are finished :) I see the horses of the rohirrim around already, so hopefully it won't be that long :) Gotta pester the people with power! :)
Milzok

Post by Milzok »

Ok crazy I didn't look on this forum before, but I was trying cpl of hourse today to enter Isengard, and it's like u said here, IIsengard are not finished, that's why there is no way in?
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Yes, you can't get into Isengard because it's not finished, thus not open. If you do find a way, then it's a bug. :)
brin

Post by brin »

Any more updates on this subject? Like all MUMErs I'm keen to see the expansion of the game eastwards. It'll make it a much richer experience and hopefully attract new or draw back some lost players. Linking Ingrove and Lorien along the North - South route will make it more playable to lower levels who currently find themselves trapped in the west unless they want to make a kamikaze march through the mountain passes. The GH to Bree section of the game is too safe and tame. How about setting up a secret orc encampment or something similar to spice it up a bit? Eriador wasn't all that safe as I remember from the books.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Yes, Eriador was not safe. No, it did not have any orc encampments! If we wanted to make Eriador more dangerous, then we'd have to use other ways for doing that. Although, I'd say that the GH-BM area is pretty dangerous already for the non-experienced player. And I see no reason why all areas should be built superexciting specificly for the experienced player.

Concerning zones under construction: finishing the Vale-Lorien connection is indeed the priority right now. All the other ?-marked places are under construction as well, just not that finished.
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

Andróg wrote:Although, I'd say that the GH-BM area is pretty dangerous already for the non-experienced player.
Within the time that I've been playing (since 2005, if I remember rightly), there have been several measures taken to render the BM/GH area less dangerous: no more huge black wolves in Dense Forest a bit E of entrance to Dwarven Homes, and the pair of grey wolves, one rabid, who used to wander around the road to Grey Havens not far from small stream crosssing are now a pair of normal i.e. non-agressive grey wolves. Also, the GH werewolf no longer chases outside his cave. I'm sure people can think of other small changes like these. All in all, bad measures, in my view, making the wilderness less dangerous than it used to be, and than it ought to be, And don't get me started on the plague of mounts (I'm hoping swine 'flu will take care of them).
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

ciúin wrote:
Andróg wrote:Although, I'd say that the GH-BM area is pretty dangerous already for the non-experienced player.
Within the time that I've been playing (since 2005, if I remember rightly), there have been several measures taken to render the BM/GH area less dangerous: no more huge black wolves in Dense Forest a bit E of entrance to Dwarven Homes, and the pair of grey wolves, one rabid, who used to wander around the road to Grey Havens not far from small stream crosssing are now a pair of normal i.e. non-agressive grey wolves. Also, the GH werewolf no longer chases outside his cave. I'm sure people can think of other small changes like these. All in all, bad measures, in my view, making the wilderness less dangerous than it used to be, and than it ought to be, And don't get me started on the plague of mounts (I'm hoping swine 'flu will take care of them).
Well, that Dense Forest a bit east of BM was simply stupid. It's random and it used to have aggressive very dangerous (for a newbie) mobs in it. Basically it was a mobdeath-trap for anyone less clueful. It's not exactly a bright idea to put a mobdeath-trap right outside one of the main places where newbies start their mume-adventures, is it?

Not sure about those grey wolves and the rabids... but the removal of those aggressive dogs in that forest east of BM is imo a lot more significant change. I'm not really convinced that it was a necessary one there, but it's not a catastrophe either.

And the werewolf... that must be a very new thing, he very much still did this like a year ago or so!

Anyway, compared to the two most harmless areas in mume: Shire and Lorien, BM-GH area is still pretty lethal.