Old age and Age reset

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
geriel

Old age and Age reset

Post by geriel »

Could someone at least consider to reduce the amount of time that it takes to get an age reset? Everyone knows that Mume requires quite an attention span but having to wait one real life year is insane for a computer game. Why not make it a prerequisite to wait for real life retirement then you would have even more realism?

And I know that there is FOY but try for get in there with a low-level overage elf who has diabetes, Alzheimer, and Parkinson. Because this is what will happen:

a) You will mobdie which will indeed solve the age reset problem
b) While you are going back young and naked to loot your corpse you are killed by a zorc

So it's easier to just commit suicide in Old Fornost to a couple of ghosts and spirits who yell that they want to take you with them into their world.

And this restriction seems to be entirely useless because even if you could do it after one month like a reroll, power players would still prefer to go to FOY for the better control they have over which age bracket they end up by sipping. It merely is a punishment for low-level characters.

Just my 2 cents.
haunga

Re: Old age and Age reset

Post by haunga »

I guess it wouldn't be that bad if there was another FOY for people lower than lvl 15 perhaps. Somewhere around BM or GH? Or some traveller giving you a reward for some minor task a water skin he filled at FOY... It's probably a very rare problem though, I doubt anyone will bother making anything new because of this.

:idea: Or you can just ask someone to help you. :idea:
geriel

Post by geriel »

A quest would be great indeed. The difficulty could be level dependent and the reward a flask from FOY.

However, why not just reduce the 12 month restriction to 1 month? That should be possible without writing 3000 lines of code. I don't understand the reason why an age reset needs to take so much longer than a reroll.

And regarding asking someone for help. It's not easy to find someone willing to do that. Being stuck in a pk active area on the porch of the Zaugurz caves with a companion who will end up as a 1 HP sitting duck is not the most appealing thing to do.
Anthamos

Post by Anthamos »

I agree, at the moment it looks like certain types of players are being punished. 12 months is WAY too long time, I'd like to hear reasoning behind this but I doubt it couldn't be changed/reduced atleast 3-4 times. I have always been more solo player so I don't have group of friends to help me FOY as I'm sure many don't have.
Another solution would be indeed new FOY in safer zone such as BM/GH or even Lothlorien.
Currently I have all my chars too old and with the new changes they have become quite impossible to play effectively. Waiting 12 months would be like punishment indeed eventhough I don't play very frequently.
dianos

Post by dianos »

Age resets should be available with much shorter retirement for lowbies. It seems stupid to me that it is faster to mob your character into deletion, make a new one with the same stats, and level it up to where it was before just to get an age reset than it is to wait for it in retirement.