Hello everyone. New player, sorta

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Turd

Hello everyone. New player, sorta

Post by Turd »

I played this game 4 or 5 years ago in college. Wasn't hardcore or anything, maybe got to level 8 or 10 or something. I want to get back into this but forgot everything. I just set up my Mac mud client, Atlantis, and am running around near Fornost. I'll have tons of questions that I'll put into this thread.

All I know is I want to backstab things :twisted:
harell

Re: Hello everyone. New player, sorta

Post by harell »

Glad to see you back, Turd! (ok... I am freely admitting that I enjoyed writing that)

The best way to get back into the game is to just start exploring as much as you can. If you remember at all, it is the thief class that does the backstabbing. Normally, you need to get to around level 14-15 before you can start backstabbing. Something else you may want to consider is that as of a couple months ago, the thief class was altered (nerfed, if you will). Some people claim it is unplayable, but there are those that still play thief.

Here is another suggestion. Find someone that you can just start asking questions to while you are logged. Players that have commited to helping people such as yourself have been labeled as "rangers". (they can be seen by typing "who ranger") I believe that all of my chars are rangers, and I would love to help out with as much as I can as I see you on. :)

For all those long time mumers that may be reading this.... a thought came to me as I was reading turd's plea for help. Would any1 be willing to commit a certain amount of time on a consistent basis (weekly?) to dedicate wholly to helping new people? Even if its a half an hour or so, if we were able to stay consistent with it, we could start promoting it. (website, wiki, forum, even log-on msgs?) Anyway, just a thought. I don't mind organizing it if I can get enough people to commit to it.. :)
Turd

Post by Turd »

Hearing that the thief class got nerfed is dissapointing.

I used these stats thinking i would be a thief in the future
Your base abilities are: Str:15 Int:11 Wis:8 Dex:19 Con:17 Wil:14 Per:18.

Should I scrap this guy?
harell

Post by harell »

It's completely up to you.... Depending on how much time you put into it and how much time it would take to put into a new char to get to the same level, it might be easier just to start a new one.

On the other hand, dont be afraid to experiment with some stuff. It cant hurt to train off everything (all of your practice sessions) and start over. You might even be able to get away with a def warrior of sorts if you train off per and train on str or so... Give it a shot. If it seems pointless, start with something new. :)
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

A good start to get into the game (again) is some sort warrior. Str and con, the rest is mostly up to you.

You can play with the stats you listed there, if you find it entertaining (getting missile to shoot-flee stuff sounds like a good idea) keep it. Using stab to xp nicely on mobs still works, you just need a bit more time than before the change due to the short "no-sneak" time.
Turd

Post by Turd »

Well im going to level this guy up so I can try out backstab. I'm level 10 now.

If I get to that point, try it out, and don't like it, I'll make a warrior.