[HowTo] Install mmapper2 on Windows (Mapper Guide)

Here we discussed clients, mappers, tunnels and their settings.
Alve

Re: [HowTo] Install mmapper2 on Windows (Mapper Guide)

Post by Alve »

Londir: What exactly do you want to do? You can't load maps made by another program, if that's what you're referring to.

Sarai: What kinds of scripts are you loading into what program and what exactly is the symptom you're experiencing?
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

Mmapper has problems on my new computer. Windows xp, 32-bit.

Sometimes the map looks ok and it's quick. Then suddenly all walls and the yellow square becomes dotted, not lines. It still works quickly. Then suddenly all rooms become grey, and it's super slow. And the walk-ahead yellow line isn't there anymore. Then it switches back after a couple of zones. Very annoying. Any guesses what could be wrong?

I guessed the map file was corrupted, but no. It's a rendering problem. Here's a screenshot:

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Jahara

Post by Jahara »

It's most likely a texture problem. See if you can go into your driver settings and move the quality slider to whatever is the maximum or if you can make a customized profile for mmapper2 where everything is at the best quality. I know that fixed some of my problems with Intel Extreme (i.e. Shittastic) Graphics.
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

Installed an older graphics driver. This works. It's good that it's working, but do I want to run a several year old old graphics driver?
Alve

Post by Alve »

I seem to recall that I have seen the exact same thing before. Who else has had that problem with which combinations of card/driver/OS? I myself had a similar, but not actually the same, problem with an intel chip, the very first release of the "intel" (not "i915") Xorg driver and linux. There was a certain area on the screen where nothing was drawn; it always stayed background-grey. It went away with the following driver revision.
macabre

Post by macabre »

Anyone know how to get the view noride rooms to show on Mmapper2?

The rooms are flagged but it's not displaying the darker shade on the map.
macabre

Post by macabre »

macabre wrote:Anyone know how to get the view noride rooms to show on Mmapper2?

I am using version 2.02

It was working in an earlier version but seesm to have stopped.
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

As far as I know NORIDE rooms are now shown as having a small red X in the top right.
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

To show dark rooms and noride rooms, you need the 2.02 version, build 114. I have compiled it both for linux and win32.

http://mandor.se/mume/compiles/

Release and debug builds work basically the same, so use the release pack.
dianos

Post by dianos »

Heh, that would be my fault...
A while back I changed it so that no-ride rooms no longer had the darkened textures, they only had the little red cross. It certainly is not as easy to see the no-ride rooms now. Sorry about that.

However, there was a good reason for it. "Dark" rooms now use the darkened textures. So no-ride is a cross, and dark rooms are dark. It might be nice if there was some kind of preferences box that let the user customise effects like these, but I don't want to be the one to make it.

As for the "Play" button, or no mapping button or whatever it is called; I sometimes find that useful. I find that the mapper often struggles with the creation of rooms when I'm following someone. It often produces very poor maps. So if I'm following someone in new areas I usually turn the mapping functionality off so that I dont' have to delete a stack of rooms later on.
Alve

Post by Alve »

Sorry to say that, but I've given up trying to fit MUME and MMapper into my life. I just don't find MUME that interesting anymore and I haven't actually played it for months now. Considering that, I'm definitely the wrong person to maintain MMapper. As Caligor also seems to be inactive these times, there might be no one left with actual commit rights to the SF project. In that case I will happily hand it over to someone competent and willing to do the maintenance and further development. My Email address is in the code.

On the other hand there are already too many mappers for a game that small and by officially stopping development on one of them I might encourage developers of the others to think about what set this one apart and maybe incorporate these features. After all it's free software and earlier in this thread I showed various ways how the different code bases could be merged.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Can't compile it (linux). I get an error on running qmake like
svn: "." ist keine Arbeitskopie... I'd translate that to "is not a work-copy" or... so.
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Timodeus wrote:Can't compile it (linux). I get an error on running qmake like
svn: "." ist keine Arbeitskopie... I'd translate that to "is not a work-copy" or... so.
This message is part of the profile that checks if its a SVN copy or not. You can disregard it and just continue building mmapper as the Makefile should have been created anyway.
Mindy

Post by Mindy »

Hey Jahara I just installed mmapper 2 today and tried to use it together with PowTTY but I kept getting error messages.

I opened mmapper and opened the arda.mm2 file then opened powtty and set the configuration to localhost and port 4242.

I hit connect and PowTTY would get the MUME welcome message on the screen but the error message was a "network error: software caused connection abort", and then both programs would exit. Anyone have that problem before? I'm using windows XP
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Mindy wrote:I hit connect and PowTTY would get the MUME welcome message on the screen but the error message was a "network error: software caused connection abort", and then both programs would exit. Anyone have that problem before? I'm using windows XP
There seems to be an issue with certain people's hardware if they are running the latest MMapper version 2.0.4 with Windows Vista/XP/7. I am still unsure what could cause the issue since none of my hardware shows it. A way to get past it is to use an older version of MMapper for the meantime.
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

I might have a possible fix for you guys who are experiencing this Windows-only crash. Can someone who has the crash on connect bug test this binary and report if it works?

Thanks!

http://niqp.org/~jahara/mmapper-testfix-Windows-x86.exe
Edit: Nevermind, it doesn't work.
Last edited by Jahara on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindy

Post by Mindy »

Sorry Jahara that didn't work for me.

The old version did and it works fine. The only question I had with that is that the exit database isn't working for me when I'm xping. That is the _open exit doesn't do anything for secret exits. The game just says there isn't any "exit" there. Any suggestions?
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Mindy log your troll . I will help you out :p
Triw

Post by Triw »

Imo the best (easiest to use, but very practical) mapper out there... but one annoying bug - maybe it's just me, I don't know. At some certain areas all the rooms turn grey (showing no terrain etc.) and to temporarily fix it, I have to zoom out some for the terrain pictures and other stuff to appear. I've used this mapper for a long time and I've always had the bug, it occurs on both my (quite old/slow) laptop and my PC.
puke(s) triw
darkie(s) lös
renegade(s) verïne
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Triw wrote:Imo the best (easiest to use, but very practical) mapper out there... but one annoying bug - maybe it's just me, I don't know. At some certain areas all the rooms turn grey (showing no terrain etc.) and to temporarily fix it, I have to zoom out some for the terrain pictures and other stuff to appear. I've used this mapper for a long time and I've always had the bug, it occurs on both my (quite old/slow) laptop and my PC.
It sounds like you're in mapping mode and then you go up to a room that isn't a perfect match (therefore, it starts to create new rooms). By switching to play mode you should avoid that problem.