Linux version of MMapper

General discussion about MUME.

Moderator: Builders

Arnvat

Linux version of MMapper

Post by Arnvat »

Hi,

For the benefit of those of us Linux users who play MUME and adore the mapper software that comes associated with it, can the devs of mmapper2 start releasing compiled versions of the program for our favorite OS? Or for the large fraction that use Debian-based versions of Linux (like me, an elementaryOS user), at least .deb files for convenient installation. There has only been one .deb file released so far (on Sourceforge) but it's a version that's years old, and I may be missing something important, or even will face my version being obsolete in the future. Far from all Linux users are proficient enough in its jargon that they are able to successfully compile the source code into executable form.

Thanks for the great MUD!
mathat

Re: Linux version of MMapper

Post by mathat »

I had the same problem. Compiled it myself...
On a stable ubuntu release use the following commands after you download and unpack the source from github:

Code: Select all

mkdir build
cd build/
sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install qt4-default
sudo apt-get install qtcreator
sudo apt-get install qt5-default
cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
make -j4
sudo make install
sudo /usr/local/bin/mmapper
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Ty mathat for this info (I was not aware the source was even available)

For some reason, the latest version of MMapper wouldn't build for me (I am running Debian 8), but I tried an older version and it built fine (works well enough for my needs too)

One tip for others coming from the 'bundled' jmc/mmapper combo where it 'just works' on windows: remember that MMapper is what connects to mume.org port 4242 and your client of choice must connect to localhost (I was trying in reverse to poor results lol)
Twitter

Post by Twitter »

I came here to say this code works great for me, and I have used it several times with a perfect success rate.

I compiled MMapper on two Linux versions: Mint 18.1 Serena and Mint 18.2 Sonya. Both work perfectly.

I suggest installing Mudlet from repositories for the safest and easiest gaming experience. Mudlet is rich with features.