Redesigning MUME.org web page

If it's not about MUME, post it here.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
You can post about anything non-MUME related here.
Timodeus
Arata

Re: Redesigning MUME.org web page

Post by Timodeus »

Ok, just to make this sure:
a) I have no talent,
b) I *hate* GIMP (the coders did a great work, but, it is personal, I hate your GUI!). With this program, the stuff looks even worse than with just a).

I just made this to show what I mean by "based on ricks maps". I increased the size by some 50%, and... well, you'll see. At least I hope this.
If people agree the *concept* is a good one, I'd even boot Windows go into Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and try to come up with something even better. (Shiver) Or someone with talent proposes something else (of course, the remaing traces of ricks maps will have to removed). ;)

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

edit: It looks even more horrible than I feared...
Erondil

Post by Erondil »

By your map people get lost by shock before they made the first footstep :shock:

About Rick's maps, they are nice drawn and how I said it befor no secrets, hidden objects (door, room,...,), door name,..., will be shown, just basic stuff.

To made it 3D is lot of work and I don't know would such maps show to much details, and I don't know any program which will the work make easier and faster. By drawing the middle earth map I used any help which I get.

I think the city maps which are in game could be used, Bree is a nice example, just put them on a background like a scroll or papyrus and make some change and there is a map which looks old and drawn by someone hasty.

Has anyone old scroll or papyrus images which can be used?
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Erondil wrote:By your map people get lost by shock before they made the first footstep :shock:
Yes, I know. I said is about the "concept" and I also said I hated GIMP. Now you see why. :)
Parrafin

Post by Parrafin »

it's a good concept...here's as good as i could do
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

It would be nice if the maps are drawn on old paper-like background ? It is just an idea :p I don't know if it will be functional this way
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

Nods. And you could get someone to redraw the ASCII city maps available in game on an old papery-like background. Wouldn't that be cool? =)
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

I didn't mean drawing manually on old paper :p .
For example ,in Parrafin drawing - he can replace the green background with an old paper one . Well It is possible to create an old paper with Photoshop or just download / buy the background in website like this one http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=search ... +paper&w=1
Freyja

Post by Freyja »

LOL Timodeus what a nice piece of impressionism. And what's that phallus named Tower. ROFL - cute!
White: Fayth, Maris, Ginger
Dark: Kika
Bear playing help site: [url]hhttp://beornings.tk[/url]
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Do you want to know the grades I got in Art back in school? No, you do not want to know that, you already DO know it. I even managed to get 0 from 15 points once, something that should be impossible if you are "there" and "actually finish something". ;)
Freyja

Post by Freyja »

Timodeus wrote:Do you want to know the grades I got in Art back in school? No, you do not want to know that, you already DO know it. I even managed to get 0 from 15 points once, something that should be impossible if you are "there" and "actually finish something". ;)
I have BA degree in art teaching. It sure is silly to give 0 from finishing an artwork. "Everyone can draw", like my teacher said to me once, it's just parents and wrong teachers who say you can't do it right. There is no right or wrong drawing skills for the children, they are open for everything - just bad guidance. After that, there are rules for different art styles, if one can learn those - one CAN draw ;)
White: Fayth, Maris, Ginger
Dark: Kika
Bear playing help site: [url]hhttp://beornings.tk[/url]
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

To be honest: I deserved that grade for that "picture". I did not understand back then, but I do now. My skills stopped like in 8th (or even 5th) grade.

Apart from that OT: How does the re-design go?
Erondil

Post by Erondil »

I cut out an area which have nearly the same size as the map on mume. Because it should look old I try some effects on it like crumple, canves and so on. Now I try to shade the non-existing areas, but all in all I'm not contented, the colours are to bright, they don't look old/shabby. When I finish this part, I will start the work on the citymaps, I have download few images, which are free, from the site which Ortansia mention. Thank you for the link Ortansia :) After some change on the images and maybe on the maps I will see how it looks.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Concerning the sit web :p . Images are in high resolution quality ,they are mainly designed for printing that's why they are too heavy .The best way is to resize them on photoshop and decrease a bit of their quality so they will be light enough and will load quickly on website.

There is also another sit web where you can download clipart ( vectors images) . I think it might interest you :p in a sense that you can find some ready made designs for maps example : http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/clipa ... rest&sc=21

If you work on illustrator , the last sit web I gave you might help you a lot ... :p
Erondil

Post by Erondil »

To keep you up to date, I finished the shade part, I the next days I will start with the detail-maps (first the citymaps). When I'm finish some citymaps I will upload everything and you can criticise it and give me some suggestion for improvment.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Im looking forward to see your maps :D
androg

Post by androg »

Freyja, I think your map of Anduin Vale is awesome! Having the whole Arda as such on MUME's home-page would be very impressive.
Erondil

Post by Erondil »

I'm now ready for your critique and your suggestions, keep in mind that you see only a part of the middle earth map.
The middle earth map can any time be expanded or new areas lighten.
If someone miss some names :? , they will be added as links for the detail-maps at the end.

As city map I will show you the Bree-map, I made several versions but I think this one is the most simple one and easy to draw.

And the quality is also better in real, and will be bether when everything is finished.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Nice area-map! Great work, two issues (that can be fixed easily, I guess):
a) Some of the texts are hard to read,
b) the lightened area does not reflect our zones (e.g. the NE in Mirkwood is totally wrong).

Apart from that, it is very nice and with some final polishing it will be even better.
Erondil

Post by Erondil »

a) Some of the texts are hard to read
The size and the quality of the map will bigger (higher) on the website, this will made it easier to read the texts, this should solve the problem.
b) the lightened area does not reflect our zones (e.g. the NE in Mirkwood is totally wrong).
I tried to find a compromise between the original tolkien middle earth and our map, you know not everything in MUME is 100% like in the original map (for example noc area,...). For better area information, which fits our zones there will be the detail-maps. The idea was that people can see where our zones exist on the middle earth map (tolkien world). Maybe I'm wrong with this idea (view).
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Great work :) . I like them :D

Here are my critics :
For the town map . The font used are not readable and doesn't fit the design . I have some tolkien and oldish fonts I can send them to you if you want :) . Also I think you can use some symbols for shops ( armourer , .. ect) , rent place n fontain and guilds . I have some ready made symbols If you want or you can get them on microsoft cliparts ( I posted the link earlier)

For the Arda map: It is great . I liked the lightened parts but I didn't like the blurry background . Just make a simple blank background ?
Looking at the map , I guess you draw it by hand ? Have you also written places name ( warren , mirkwood ..ect) by hand? or you scaned your map and you added places names using a graphic program? because I also think the text is not readable :/. writing red on green is not a good contrast . Whether use white or keep red but add white border :p

But in general , I liked them . You did a great work . Clap again :)