Redesigning MUME.org web page

If it's not about MUME, post it here.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
You can post about anything non-MUME related here.
Jahara

Re: Redesigning MUME.org web page

Post by Jahara »

I have been working on the MUME wiki pretty heavily over the past few days. If any of you want to log on and update some of the pages (or change the design, because right now thats what I'm mostly doing) feel free too. Hopefully we can eventually have the wiki replace the main website.
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Ortansia designed some layouts for the new website that I'm cross-posting here from Elvenrunes. I then took Mandor's time script and simplified it to just display the season. I believe Ortansia is now working on getting someone to transfer her designs into HTML and CSS.

What is the position of the V+ on this? Will this be implemented if we get an awesome template made?

For more information read the Elvenrunes thread.

Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

What I think:

A) I still think the idea is good in general.
B) I still think the designs should be condensed more in height, they waste a lot of space and are... too high. Apart from that, they are good.
C) I still think someone should present some plan that outlines what improvements (features etc) the site has that justifies the effort to replace it. Not just a collection of ideas or what "someone should do!" but really a specific plan what the new site is going to offer.
D) I still think someone who actually will(!) do The Work(TM) should directly contact "one of the people responsible for the server and website".
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Thanks Jahara for posting this message here :p

I was going to ask Hector if he can do the HTML part :p ( I've already added him on msn) .
I don't know enough about html to do it myself even though in the past I helped with web-mastering work of some websites ,but this project seems to be too complex for me :p

I think changing theme is good because people do care about seasons to log a particular character . I myself go to mume.net to check what mume month it is . And then decide wheather I log my puke or my troll :p
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

I took a free CSS design and started hacking on it until I got something started to look good. It doesn't quite follow the design principles that were outlaid here, but I tried to make do with what I had. Timodeus was correct that the header was too large so I tried to condense it all a bit.

Also, I know there are a lot of shaky elements in this website, since I'm just playing around with design, so don't bother pointing out the obvious bugs regarding the color scheme and hacked-together pictures. Any suggestions are welcome. I just started learning CSS the other day so it should get significantly better as time goes on and as more people criticize the design :-)

http://info-jackson.ads.iu.edu/~nschimme/website/

Edit: Internet Explorer is the suck, just fyi.;-)
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I still think the "big black thing" on the left with the ring does not fit the design right of it anymore. Just kick it out and stick with the new design. The entire header should be taken by the "season-design" instead of the current merge.

The same goes for the "white" stuff, it does not really fit the style of the header. Just keep it in the season-colour.

Apart from that: Nice to see someone has actually started something. ;)
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Very nice :D . On the opposite of Timodeus I really like the black thing :p . It seems the logo is more alive when it is on black colour :) whereas in my design , the fact that logo background change following season may not be good . since a logo should have one colour charter and should stick on it :p

I will reduce the size of the header seasons . Just tell me the dimension you need ( width and hight ) in pixel and I will do it right now :)

Im also glad someone is starting doing html part . If there is something I can do just ask me :)
pinion

Post by pinion »

Those templates look wonderful. Here's hoping they get implemented.
alma

Post by alma »

Jahara's design looks nice