Odd moments in RL caused by MUME

If it's not about MUME, post it here.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
You can post about anything non-MUME related here.
Parrafin

Re: Odd moments in RL caused by MUME

Post by Parrafin »

Is it out of line to say that it sounds like you got extremely baked?
Irileyh

Post by Irileyh »

Parrafin wrote:Is it out of line to say that it sounds like you got extremely baked?

yeahhhh, lol, it was a fun time. Also, going to the beach and getting wrecked by the waves, and then having my GPS on my phone get pissed because we kept getting lost. "*sigh* recalculating route." I thought it was going to donkeypunch me.
10% skill, 100% awesome.
Foul Pukes : Bir Glare Syd Wave Squints, and a few extra.
Noble Scum : Boddah Loch Gâl Mathers Irileyh, and a few more extra.
Naga

Post by Naga »

Alkar wrote:I messed with a snake and now she won't leave me alone!!
I know a very good remedy for that!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Naga wrote:
Alkar wrote:I messed with a snake and now she won't leave me alone!!
I know a very good remedy for that!

Getting divorced?
Pif

Post by Pif »

Parrafin wrote:I'd say I'd rather encounter a water moccasin or rattlesnake on MUME than in real life. Man, I hate coming across rattlesnakes, and it's only happened to me once.
I wonder if I'm the only MUME'er that's ever been bitten by a water moccasin (we call them cotton mouths too). Three days in the hospital and 12+ vials of antivenin. Not fun, pain like you can't imagine. And he only got me with one fang.
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

Interesting factoid of the day: Only about 1 out of every 12 snake bites actually inject venom when the snakes are biting in self-defense (like biting people).
Thaq

Post by Thaq »

Are you serious thurge?
Pif

Post by Pif »

Thurge wrote:Interesting factoid of the day: Only about 1 out of every 12 snake bites actually inject venom when the snakes are biting in self-defense (like biting people).
I heard from the doctors in the ERs (I went to 2 the first day because the first hospital ran out of antivenin) that the number was 1 in 3 or even 1 in 2. But it's not 100%, thats for sure.

Personal trivia: The bite area started to swell within 15-60 seconds of the bite. Don't think that the action is delayed.

Dr. trivia: The first doctor I talked to said (while we were talking about the whole "some bites even from poisonous snakes don't inject venom" subject) that the worst thing you can do is try the old cowboy trick of sucking/cutting the bite to suck on it. It's a myth. He said he's seen more people almost bleed to death from doing that when the snake that bit them wasn't even poisonous. Kinda funny when you think about it.

Water Moccasins are aggressive little suckers. My dad was rabbit hunting and had one come out of a brush pile and charge him for about 15 mins while he fended it off with a walking / snake stick (tally-ho stick for those in the know).

/end rant.
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

Ah, ok. I just went and checked the book I thought that other number came from and it said 1 in 3 too. Dunno where I got 12 from. =P

One of the funniest things I've ever seen from a snake is when we were cleaning out my grandma's carport down in New Orleans once, and my little brother got bit by a 2.5 or so foot long kingsnake. It got him right below one of his thumbs and latched on like a lizard. My dad and I were sitting around laughing our asses off while my brother was yelling and trying to shake the snake off of his hand. =P

Maybe we've got different types of water moccasins where I'm from, but they're still one of the least confrontational snakes I've ever seen. Worst I've seen from them is after I fail to kill them with the first hit and they go swim into a log jam and wrap around a stick with their mouth open waiting to be stepped on. I *have* seen copperheads come shooting out from under woodpiles and latch onto boots though, which from what everyone else says just never happens. *shrug*
meian

Post by meian »

I actually say "Arglebargle" in real life whenever i'm about to cuss. =3
I'm a GIRL who plays MUME. =3
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

That can't possibly count though!

My parents say arglebargle all the time and they've been doing that since well before MUME existed. Plus they've never played. I don't think. =P

I think that's one of those things that actually comes from somewhere else and worked its way into MUME somehow. Or somethin'. Yeeaaaahhh. I'll go away now. =P
Civril

Post by Civril »

How do you pronounce "arglebargle" in english?
I didn't know it is a (un)commonly used phrase.
“Hey you, goblin. Uh, put on this magic helmet. Yeah, I know you're attacking me, but look, shiny helmet. Shiny!”
Kuri

Post by Kuri »

[ahr-guhl-bahr-guhl]
Naralón

Post by Naralón »

The word "bash" has exactly the same pronunciation as the Norwegian word "bæsj" which means "shit" or "feacies"(if thats how it's spelled). And usually when Norwegian MUME'rs talk about "eating bash", we like to use the Norwegian word for "eating".

So...

Me and a couple of friends(also mumeplayers) out for pizza on a Friday night. We have a couple of beers and as usual, we are not exactly whispering. people on the tables around us have no problem hearing what we're talking about. Then after a while, as always, the MUME discussions and stories of recent kills begin. And one of us ends up telling the others about a recent 1 vs 1 fight he had. The story builds up to a moment of tension where they are fighting in open and both of them getting low, and he finishes the story almost yelling in Norwegian "and then he just ate bash and died!"

There were many strange looks heading towards our table, and we had a good laugh when we realized why :P

Imagine yourself in a restaurant, and by the table next to you these three dudes are having a great time talking about eating feacies!
Parrafin

Post by Parrafin »

2Girls bash at 1Cup sends it sprawling!
ghalad

Post by ghalad »

I recently met up with P. Xellia whilst we were both serving in Iraq, he turned up with a friend that did not play MUME. We went for coffee and during the conversation I noticed that we both slipped into MUME jargon, his friend looked totally confused and I found it highly amusing.

That night I rang my wife and told her my amusing story, she replied "he'll get used to it!" apparently I use 'tell' and 'say' all the time in RL and have also been known to say 'gig', 'struts' and 'pout'!
A happy person may not have the best of everything, but makes the best of everything.