Issues with management

If it's not about MUME, post it here.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
You can post about anything non-MUME related here.
More

Issues with management

Post by More »

Why is someone editing my message? Who made Jahara a moderator?

Seriously, if you structure the forum management to mirror mume's, then
how does that help? You just recreate that insulating layer, this fearful
closed-mind bureaucracy.

How is this forum supposed to work out? How will it differ from a discussion
board in mume? Ideas sprouting in every thread, do they have a better
chance now that they are posted here?

What do you expect? Will the very same people who have frequented mume for
years, suddenly explode into a creative frenzy?

Damn, damn, damn that hope that never dies.
Last edited by Jahara on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: split topic
Rogon

Re: Issues with management

Post by Rogon »

The forums have been up like two weeks and you've already gone on a rant?

Cheer up dude ;)
Thanik

Post by Thanik »

If you look at the bottom of your post it tells you why someone edits your message. Jahara appears to be editing for consistency mostly, i.e, moving posts to the correct thread, moving offtopic posts to their own threads. The only other edit I have seen him make was on one of your posts, and the reason he gave was 'stop trolling' or some such. Were you trolling?
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

*Troll*
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

It seems to be a bit unfair to rant like this about the "structure".

As it seems to me, Ilie tried to give as many people access as possible, thus, "builders" are moderators. This is in fact a strong contrast to the system of MUME, where not everyone gets the access to do administration and moderation work.

Apart from that issue we have to consider something else: The forum is new, it is not "totally planned through", it is not "they created it and gave it to us and we have to accept it as it is". Thus, the "policy" how to handle things is also in negotiation, is not fixed. There's no guideline when and how much moderation happens.
I guess one of the things we, we all together, do is finding out how all this works out. So, instead of posting a rant and a flame which says "how stupid/unfair 'they' are", I suggest we try to be a more open minded and not-accusing next time.

I know it is a common conception that "management consists of a few, evil guys who try to make our life hard and be annoying in general". But that is wrong, as far as I know are the people who "do" stuff around here (and in the game) doing the stuff they do because they think it is an improvement. So, if you have a problem with something, claiming "X just wants to be mean" is probably the wrong way to go.

As you can see, we can discuss about things. If you think a moderator moderated too much, formulate it - but please be fair and do not assume someone wanted to be mean. I bet someone just wanted "the best" and you can be part of finding out in the next weeks and months what "the best" is.
Apart from that a general note about life (not only MUME): starting with a rant when you have a serious concern is never a good idea (at least I think so).
Freyja

Post by Freyja »

I agree, there should be a thread (sticky) about who gets access and how much. How to become a moderator and the rules...give information, clear the facts and there will be no whining.
White: Fayth, Maris, Ginger
Dark: Kika
Bear playing help site: [url]hhttp://beornings.tk[/url]
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

There will *always* be whining. =P
More

Post by More »

Pardon me being such a bitter pill but I got my hopes up too, you know. For a moment.
Considered things and now I'm confident that (of course)

Ilie will not lend his shoulder to carry the weight of the world.

Quite possibly this is impossible task for someone past his early twenties.
BB for community integration, but mostly what we'll see is some window dressing.
We may also see some important game changes, such as visible warpoints. In a couple
of years time, we can look back and understand the significance of it all.

ps. it's good to be optimist but it's better to be realist.
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Gothmog »

Yeah let's hope for visible warpoints!
Alkar
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Alkar »

Isn't that a NOIDEA? :shock:
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Visible Warpoints will never happen! That's how mean they are!

Apart from this:
"Quite possibly this is impossible task for someone past his early twenties."
I am not sure if I should feel offended. I'm also past my early twenties and I'm not feeling like I'd die tomorrow from old age or that I would not be able to hold my key anymore or stuff... ;)
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

From my experience, a forum where the moderators are quick to deal with blatant trolling and the mass-blurting of personal insults not related to the topic at hand will be more pleasant to read.

Perhaps there could be a subforum specifically for filing grievances against over-moderating (which would obviously have to be less heavily moderated than the other ones).
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

When blatant trolling and mass insulting happens, we'll deal with it... I have not yet seen such a problem.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Indeed, I was just stating my view on the matter.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.