Movies to watch

If it's not about MUME, post it here.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
You can post about anything non-MUME related here.
Andróg

Re: Movies to watch

Post by Andróg »

You can't rule out the possibility that Star Wars is physically possible!

Remember:
Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Well, some things in Star Wars seem *highly* unlikely. Maybe some effects are possible but Star Wars in general? Notgonnahappen.

Even if technology of some level can be considered to be basically magic (he, look at a lot of stuff we have today... that's already like magic) it still stays a fact it is not magic.

Anyway, to stay on topic... watching Star Wars again seems to be a good idea. I'll keep it in mind for the evening. ;)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Even if technology of some level can be considered to be basically magic (he, look at a lot of stuff we have today... that's already like magic) it still stays a fact it is not magic.
So you disagree with Clarke?

Concerning Star Wars I'm more interested in what becomes of the Star Wars live-action TV series that they've been talking about for some years now. It could be awesome, one of the greatest tv-series, or it could suck... very badly. A few more years to go until we'll know. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_ ... _TV_series
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458291/
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Stop hijacking this thread. ;)

I think Clarke's words are very wise and good and really like that particular quote. But I'd still say there's a difference. Magic does things that are physically impossible (therefore belonging to the realm of fiction), technology does stuff that is possible (that's science-fiction, if the stuff technology is advanced enough). We don't have to argue since I don't know where the line is drawn or if that's even possible. But I like to distinguish between "fiction" and "science fiction".

Want quick examples? (which probably won't stand long if you actually want to attack then, mind we still work with definitions here):
Magic: Over-lightspeed. Currently it seems the barrier for "matter" reaching more than lightspeed seems to be rather probable one that cannot get overcome. I think all stories that overcome lightspeed belong to the fiction-section (sadly, I think). An alternate example would be "laser beams" that have so much energy that the beam itself glow in the basically empty space. Even if you could build high-energy-lasers (no clue, 1000kw and above are very decent weapons) but glowing beams are actually fiction.
Technology: A "cure" against age or even the possibility to "renew" old cells (therefore basically immortality). There seems to be no "natural" law of physics that speaks against something like that.

On topic:
I liked the new (well, not so new anymore) Bond. The suspense-curve is rather flat but it's still a good movie. And I like how they constructed the new James Bond. Better than those popcorn-action-movies with Brosnan.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Looking at your further explanations and examples I'd say that you most certainly disagree with Clarke. The whole point of his quote is that the line between the two cannot be drawn with fair certainty. That we're left with guessing.

And I believe Clarke already has an answer to your "Faster than light is magic" claim, he says:
Clarke's First Law: When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
Oh and - faster than light travel is possible. It's a matter of the conditions of the travel, not the travel itself. According to current physics moving through the space is limited with the speed of light. If you take the room with you, then there are no limits to your travelling-speed. See for Miguel Alcubierre and his ideas. (Alcubierre drive and stuff!)

--------------------

On topic:

I watched The Day After Tomorrow and it was pretty damn ridiculous. Standard Hollywood cliches (tm). Earlier this autumn I watched The Black Hole (1979), that was one very interesting and intriguing science fiction film. I suggest it to anyone who likes science fiction! :)
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I'm not actually certain Warp-Fields and Custom Made Wormholes will be the solution to go. Wormholes have one problem: Matter must come through unharmed.
I think a lot might be possible... but over-c would be a really, really big surprise. Currently, this seems to be one of the few truths that seem to stand, no matter what.

---
I liked day after tomorrow. Just don't expect too much and you'll get nice entertainment for a boring sunday.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

I'm not that conservative about it. The grand theories of physics have been dismissed in the past, why shouldn't it happen with the current ones as well? I see no reason to believe that the current ones will stay for good. Space was considered absolute as well not long ago, you know. ;)

---

There's a limit to how much Hollywood cliche I can handle. Roland Emmerich has a habit of going waay over that line. And he did in The Day After Tomorrow as well. Besides, some of the "mistakes" were just outrageously idiotic. Like, for example they concentrated on burning books when the library was full of wooden tables, chairs, cupboards, etc! I can handle imagining a superfast climate shift, but stuff like that is just stupid.
Arly

Post by Arly »

Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

"There will be blood" isn't worth to watch. It is long, boring, has a a very flat drama-graph, a strange story... only the Oscar for the lead role is deserved... but well... if you need a sleeping pill, this movie is exactly what you are looking for. ;)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

I totally disagree. You must have seen a different film. "There will be blood" is an excellent film, the characters are all very well developed through the film and none of them can be called "flat". The story is also very intriguing, even more as one sees how all the characters end up. It's certainly one of the best films of the year.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

... I did not say the characters where flat. The characters were well-planned and crafted. But that does not change the fact the movie is boring as hell. ;)
Imago

Post by Imago »

I wanted to recommend a movie, but I can't remember what it was called. Pretty sure it came out after 2000 at some point, and was kind of like a spy/thriller movie. All I really remember is the guy waking up in a white room with flies buzzing around him and going to visit his psychologist who's office was now empty. Come to think of it, I want to watch it again. :cry:
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Timodeus wrote:... I did not say the characters where flat. The characters were well-planned and crafted. But that does not change the fact the movie is boring as hell. ;)
Well, in that case I suggest you to stick to Hollywood comedies, thrillers and actions movies. You know, the basic mainstream blockbusters and stuff. If even There will be blood is boring for you, then those even more unusual directors (for example Jim Jarmusch) must be living nightmares of boringness!
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I found this "particular movie" utterly boring (even when it has a lot of very good acting and is well-made in general). That does not mean I only want stupid, fast things with lots of effects or whatever. I also did not think it was boring because there were no char chases and explosions or psycho-killers, but because it was simply boring.

You just made a rather disqualifieing statement about what I should watch based on the fact I do not like a movie you do like. Be careful with assumptions like that.

I also spend some research in "Hancock" lately, I barely watched it and only missed it because the rental did not have a copy ready: It apparently is not what the trailers imply it is (some funny action-thing) but some pseudo-intellectual whatever full of plot holes. Anyone can confirm that? ;)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Well, sorry, but when the very large majority of the posts you make in forums about real life things have "fun" as the main and central qualifier of whether it's worth the time or not, then that's the reactions you're going to get time to time.

Hancock... I'm not entirely sure about that, the trailer does make it seem, though, that the actions and explosions and stuff are somewhat secondary to the main plot. I do plan to watch it some day though because I find it interesting how bizarre the hero-figures of these days have become. (Think of Hancock, XxX and other such movies and then compare them with old 80s action heros....)
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Or even 90s... Last Boy Scout is a typical 90s-movie (which makes fun of typical 80s movies).

I'm not even going to comment on the rest...
hawai

Post by hawai »

* The Man from the Earth (2008) - I have never watched a move just after when i finished the first time. It was unreal how good can a fiction movie be.
* Waking Life