Books to read

If it's not about MUME, post it here.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
You can post about anything non-MUME related here.
Timodeus
Arata

Books to read

Post by Timodeus »

I just read "Practical Demon-Keeping" by Christopher Moore.

The author is not brilliant but good. The book is enteraining and funny and I could recommend it to people who like Pratchett or so.
Thurge

Re: Books to read

Post by Thurge »

I think I've heard about that one... guess I'll have to look for it now. =)
Parrafin

Post by Parrafin »

I recently finished two Cyberpunk novels, SnowCrash by Neal Stephenson & Neuromancer by William Gibson. SnowCrash is funnier and has aged better. Neuromancer is much more serious, dated, and dense, but I thought it was more real in some regards, if you get past the dated sci-fi mumbo jumbo. It's easy to see how it influenced SnowCrash and The Matrix. A friend has told me these books are probably the best representatives of the Cyberpunk genre, but they're the only 2 I've read. It's pretty cool for futuristic-hacker books since similar movies have always made me giggle. Any sci-fi fan would like SnowCrash, and if ya really like it, I'd recommend Neuromancer too.
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

I second the recommendation of Snowcrash.
Alian

Post by Alian »

I've started to read the Culture novels, by Iain M Banks. Finished the first one a week ago, just started on the second and I'm loving it. Anyone else read them?
Thurge

Post by Thurge »

Also, read Catch 22 if you haven't yet. It's fun. By Joseph Heller or something, I think.
Mhoghedin

Post by Mhoghedin »

I recently went on a Steven R. Donaldson binge

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: The Unbeliever

WOW, what a great series, a real adult fantasy, but not overly sexual or bloody like some of the more "adult" series can get. The character development of Thomas Covenant throughout the books is a masterpiece. Well worth it to read the series from the beginning. There are 3 trilogies in the series, stand-alone, but I recommend starting at the beginning.
Formerly a dastardly pirate of the Western Sea, he now contents
himself with rowing around the Greyflood of Tharbad in a canoe.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Over 1000 whities have been sent to Davey Jones' Locker.
Drugo

Post by Drugo »

I recently went on a Steven R. Donaldson binge

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: The Unbeliever
Donaldson is surely a must. I agree
Terry brooks novels are on my shelf also (read in youth)
Douglas Adams is surely another must, but I think that Mumers have read him already. ;)
Wiggam

Post by Wiggam »

I'm currently in the process of reading the emberworld series by S.M. Stirling. If you like fantasy or post-apocalyptic fiction, S.M. Stirling is a MUST. He also has several other good books such as Conquistador.

And George R.R. Martin if any of you have heard of him. His book A Game of Thrones yeah. Positively up there on the top lists. Oh and please people stop reading Stephen King I'm tired of that guy.