What would you change?

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Ilie
Site Admin

What would you change?

Post by Ilie »

Imagine you became implementor for 3 months, what is the one thing you would change?
-- Ilie Your friendly site Administrator
Peapend

Re: What would you change?

Post by Peapend »

I would change the penalties for death, mob death should be reduce to 1/5 of a level in XP plus some (significant) amount of TP. I'm not sure how I would change age loss for mob death but I think something should be done because it can make a lot of characters simply unplayable. I think this would lend the game to a more adventurous play style, and potentially allow for some cool changes in mob intelligence.
Last edited by Peapend on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

I also would reduce the amount of xp and age lost upon nearly all forms of death to more sane values.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Perhaps one way to deal with mobdeath would be to make the ageloss dependant on current age (for instance, 25% of current age relative to starting age).
One suitable cap on pk xp loss could be 500k.
I would combine the lower xp losses with a cap on pk-exp of 100k total for the whole group getting the kill.

I would also make the gains per level lower for each level (i.e. the ob/hp/prac gains for reaching level 60 would be less than for reaching level 50).

I would certainly make the minimum amount of tps gained for a never before visited room behind a hidden door in the wilderness greater than 0.

I would reduce the efficiency of hiding thoroughly.

I would make it impossible to backstab someone when the victim or one of its allies is in the process of revealing or flushing.

I would make portals crumble after a certain amount of weight has passed through (based on the level of the portal, of course).
Edit: Possibly combined with a port lag for travelling through a portal, similar to teleport.

I would implement Rogon's door idea.

I would try to encourage mudllers to come up with more interactive ways to deal with mobs (simple chatting, for instance).

I would try to implement a more dynamic description system for both mobs and rooms (for instance, have a shorter basic room desc and combine this with a short add-on that depends on the current season).

I would try to reduce the eq dependancy (for instance, by a complete stat revision to make the difference between various items smaller and by making combat skills have greater impact in combat).

Edit2: 2 RL years of retirement would make characters eligible for a full reroll regardless of level. All characters would be eligible for a full reroll each 5 RL years regardless of retirement status, counted since the last full reroll.

Edit3: All warrior weapon skills would depend on the same stats; probably STR DEX as the two most important ones.
Last edited by Wobbler on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Razoor

Post by Razoor »

I would give dwarves a mount that is not completely, utterly, and fantastically (!) useless. (Mule/pony)

I would change tracks so that you can always see them for 15+ ticks, and that they dont decay randomly due to weather.

I would remove teleport and portal spell.

I would make all doors blockable/pickable.

However, i'd be more than satisfied with only #1.
Thanik

Post by Thanik »

Massive overhaul of the equipment system, or, if death xploss was reduced, I would increase the effect of trophy on reducing xp.
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

I would make an overhaul to the level system.

I don't like a level cap, and at the same time I think characters at high levels are a bit too powerful.
Hoax

Post by Hoax »

This is hard to just pick one thing to change. If I pick something for Elves, then the rest of the races would be upset. If I pick something to try to cross all races, then somehow it would be messed up for some, and over powered for others. I think I could easily come up with a top 10 things I would like to change to make the game a bit more fun. Of course this would be from a trolls point of view:

10) Move the FOY closer to the middle of the world so those old trolls can get to it.
9) Make a new warlord board for Z orcs. They can be killed by EVERYONE!
8) Enhance the FOY to allow your trophy to be reset to diminish all those 255 mob kills.
7) Show the name of the troll that sunned on their statue anywhere in MUME.
6) Remove the 'Can't reach' thing when fighting with less than 4 trolls, it's bad enough I loose time with the 'you approach' thing.
5) Allow Rivendel to be attacked once again by trolls, and their allies.
4) Tracking should be faster when not on a road (less traveled), and slower on a main road (more traveled).
3) Make a limit on the amount of gold you can carry (30?) with your hands, so more moneybag things are needed.
2) Create a new mob that would chase 'whities' around all over equal to those rangers that chase 'darkies' all over the Bree area.

And the number 1 thing I would change on Mume would be:
1) No more sunning those linkless trolls.

Last edited by Jahara on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bigger fonts doesn't mean better
Elethre

Post by Elethre »

Would create a quest based skill like travelling lore that allows people with high track and wilderness to "feel" if faul/good creatures have passed through an area reacently based opun the behaviour of the nature around him.

Would also create a quest based "hide tracks" skill for rangers as it is probably one of the most important skills a ranger has.

Would create small orc camps with watchpoints down ABR that lights campfires when enemies spottet that would cause other camps to light theirs all the way up to Brolg.

Would allow Brolg to pop a zorcish warlord if done by zorcs to create more dispute and risk for darkies in the area.
Last edited by Jahara on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved post from protect to change topic
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

If I could change one single thing I'd reduce the time you need to be retired for a limited reroll back to 1 month.
Razoor

Post by Razoor »

Caerroil wrote:If I could change one single thing I'd reduce the time you need to be retired for a limited reroll back to 1 month.

I second this one, more than anything i'd like 1 month limited reroll and 1 year full reroll :)
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

I would make linkless flag visible again and I would also add a new option for "change" command which when enabled would prevent attacking of a linkless target.

Actually for players who would have said feature disabled, the linkless status would remain ignored. And changing the said feature would be restricted by character's novoid-history (i.e. to change the field into the link-respecting and linkless quazi-protection mode, one would have to be unaffected by novoid for a long time rl [rl hours]).

To sum it up:
If you wanted your linkstatus to be visible and for players with said feature enabled being protected by accidental attacks, you would have to enable the feature before you participated in PK recently. During the actual session you could anytime disable it to linkless kill as you please, but you would at same time lose the protection of this feature for that session. The difference to today would be, that there would be no accidental linkless kills anymore and that all linklesskills could be easily monitored. We could then even have a list of the most "successful" linklesskillers!
Peapend

Post by Peapend »

I would change it so staffs are less essential to the puke side or make them easier to obtain.
Mhoghedin

Post by Mhoghedin »

I would make BNs effective vs. lightning bolt dammit!

Decrease death depression to 1.5 hours instead of 3 :(

I would add a whole different list of spells to the darkie side than the puke side.
Pukes can keep their lightning bolt, I want a whole new spell list of evil-themed spells. Ones that are actually USEFUL mind you.

I would make magic blast/black breath/hold/poison usable in combat situations, I like the idea of being able to greatly weaken my opponent's buffer spells.

Reduce mob-death xp loss.

Make mandos sleep happen every time a legend dies for the duration of their corpse to decay.
Formerly a dastardly pirate of the Western Sea, he now contents
himself with rowing around the Greyflood of Tharbad in a canoe.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Over 1000 whities have been sent to Davey Jones' Locker.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I retract my previous statements in this thread. The one thing I woud change is to reduce the time one has to sit around just doing nothing, particularly for lowbies. This would include, but hopefully not be limited to:
  • All shops would be open 24/7
  • All guilds would be open 24/7
  • There would be a basic regen that was unaffected by age, skills, class and levels
  • Snagas would have a reduced movement penalty in sun (but retained combat penalties)
  • Foying would not bring anyone back more than 3 age slots
  • Reduced duration for BN depression and Mandos Sleep
  • It would not take 10 game-hours for a quest mob to hold a speech that would require 5 minutes if held RL
  • Mobdeath would not cause loss of all age
Rashnak

Post by Rashnak »

I seriously doubt that I would have the time to even learn the commands and code base in 3 months.

But regardless, I would undertake some harmless "nice to have" feature, possibly improving corpses so that one can see what weapons or spells were used to kill them and possibly how. At the same time I would however gather requirements for storing the equipment worn locations for corpses, in order to change looting to a more complex and slow system based on that information.
Elenduil

Post by Elenduil »

Remove Saurons list, but extend the consequneces of having a horrible allignment.
Allow banking.
Make endurance, slashing and missile - ranger skills.
Playable wolfs, haunts etc.
Add rentable shops.
Make mercenaries able to attack players attacking thier master.
Make a trained dog add to tracking success.
Vardamir

Post by Vardamir »

After trying to re-phrase this sentence for a slight amount of seventy-eleven times in order to make you all understand how much I want the following to be changed, I'll just word it straight out:

The current "track" system has to be changed so that it doesn't cost you any additional movent points to track a victim!

Thinking at the times when I've tracked and bobbed myself to frozen/exhausted only to find the victim fully regened..
Nah, I won't even try to describe how angry it makes me.

I've been in contact with several V+ about this and those agreed that something must be done. The problem is that it's buried in the c-code, which means that very few people have the access to change it. I know that there's been several attempts at trying to contact those with access in order to receive an answer or discuss a solution, but so far I haven't heard a word from them.

It shouldn't take much effort because it "feels" like all they have to do is to remove a string of code - not write a new one...

PS. Feel free to follow up and discuss this further in the thread " [Idea] Track system " by myself.
Shanks

Post by Shanks »

I would make portals crumble after a certain amount of weight has passed through (based on the level of the portal, of course).
Edit: Possibly combined with a port lag for travelling through a portal, similar to teleport.
Great idea Wobbler.
I would also remove mandos sleep, or change mandos sleep time for 30 rl mins, not 2 rl days.
Parrafin

Post by Parrafin »

I'd re-do the weapons and armor because it seems unbalanced and unrealistic. (See my thoughts on wooden shields and bows on the weapons and armor thread) I also think there isn't enough fun things to do with the gold you earn.

Perhaps I'd make some existing and never used weapons more powerful, but more expensive, so there'd be a good medium between really awesome relics and the crap you're basically stuck with until you do sMobs or amass a lotta gold. Same for armor.

It'd be neat if you were able to pay guild masters for an enchant or other spells, just so people have the option when no helpful casters are online. How do guilds exist anyway, if all they do is freely give away knowledge? It'd be interesting if you could hire guides to show you XP spots at a ranger guild, or hire mercenaries at a warrior guild instead of picking them up off the street like prostitutes. Currently mercenaries and young rangers are useful, but it's silly that they just wander around as if they're totally useless. If they're there for newbies why not make them 100% more easy to take advantage of?

Being able to pay for a lockbox to keep a few small items in even when not renting would be really nice.
It sucks that whenever in a dangerous situation, all your gold is at risk.