Fans

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Wobbler

Fans

Post by Wobbler »

I find fans extremely annoying.
They are particularly annoying when 7 arrive within a period of 15 minutes.
In fact, they are even more annoying than stray dogs.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
ciúin

Re: Fans

Post by ciúin »

I agree with Wobbler most strongly. This must be about the most pointless and annoying addition to the game ever. And oh, so very Tolkienish -- not!

Stray dogs are a nice little bit of local colour, though.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

To be honest, I quite like them. They add humour to the game. :-)

Besides, afaik they don't just "appear", it takes a V+ to load them specifically for a charX.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

So you mean some V+ decided to deliberately spam me with fans every other tick? Now that would be abuse of immortal power if I ever heard of it...
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Wobbler wrote:So you mean some V+ decided to deliberately spam me with fans every other tick? Now that would be abuse of immortal power if I ever heard of it...
Well, it might also be that people who had fans rented and then the fan is coded to "search for a new idol", thus you were their favourite! But yes, fans don't load anywhere on Arda, takes a high up to manually load them. (afaik again!)
lookhu

Post by lookhu »

Fans are annoying remove them pls
DREADLOCKS
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

Fans require a V+ to load. And you assign them to someone specific. If the fan get bored with that char or he/she rents, it searches for someone else to applaude.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

That last "feature" sounds particularly bad.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Wobbler, I know lots of people who like fans, they're fans of fans! So that last feature doesn't necessarily look bad to some people.

Besides, if you don't like them, you can quite easily get rid of one. ;)
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

... but likely only to have it reappear a few moments later.
Elenduil

Post by Elenduil »

Wobbler:
So you mean some V+ decided to deliberately spam me with fans every other tick?
Hehe. Who is spamming who?
8-)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Wobbler wrote:... but likely only to have it reappear a few moments later.
I doubt you're the only person online, so they have plenty to choose from! ;)
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Not enough to prevent 7 fans from coming to me or my groupmates within a period of 15 minutes, apparently.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

The statistical probability, of course, always exists. It's just not that great. ;)
coyote

Post by coyote »

Yeah, I really hate fans. I set up a #gag for every line of dialogue and emote they do, now I just hope that I don't have one following me while I'm trying to sneak or something, and get spotted by a darkie. :?
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

They add move delay and noise too, coyote, if your group consists of more than one other player or mobile - particularly if the fan is following someone other than the leader.
coyote

Post by coyote »

Yeah I'm aware of that, but I can't really do much about it. Frankly, mvs are the least of my character's concerns because of how I have him set up atm.
Kaool

Post by Kaool »

The fan meticulously writes in his trophy book: Hero to Zero in one hit.

Best mudlle ever written -- made me laugh everytime

The fan whispers to you sweet words of love.
The fan starts following you.

* C HP:Fine>
The fan whispers to you, 'Someone said you are the best!'

* C HP:Fine>snicker
You snicker softly.

* C HP:Fine>pat fan
You pat the fan on his head.
The fan hops around looking rather silly.