Q: How to get inside Rivendell?

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Lindonon

Q: How to get inside Rivendell?

Post by Lindonon »

I have heard narrates about it several times but the correct answer has eluded me.
Just today I heard something like that:

P1 Could some1 please seek me in Rdell
P2 Why not do it yoursef, 'seek rivendell' helps
P1 I'm not citysen, can't seek in
P3 You can still 'enter Rivendell' if not citizen
P1 I know the commands, just can't get in.
and so on and so forth...

'Help seek' says: "If you are in the correct spot, 'seek rivendell' may show you the path to venture - as long as this doesn't endanger the safety of those who live within the valley."

Could please someone explain how this really works and from where one is supposed to 'seek rivendell' and is it possible to enter if not citizen?
I have to make my first trip there soon (to practice spells) and would hate to stand there with my stick in my hands with no chance to get away from darkies.

P.S. Yes i know it is _possible_ to get away at any level, I just doubt _I_ could do it _there_ atm.
Andróg

Re: Q: How to get inside Rivendell?

Post by Andróg »

Unless something has changed within last few years it is possible to get inside while not being a citizen. Not totally sure, but I think that your race and also, importantly, your alignment (have it as high as possible) have quite some to do with it.
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

Androg is right: you don't have to be a citizen (this is something of a "MUME legend"); but the facility with which you can "seek rivendell" depends on your race and alignment. And of course you must be in the right place (most rooms called "High Moor", but not all, if I remember rightly). I myself have got into Rivendell as a "well-meaning" Man.

Now with Lorien, you do have to be lead in, but that's another subject.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Elves can get into Lorien without any help, though.

The question I actually have related to Lorien is: can half-elves get in on their own as well?
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Andróg wrote:The question I actually have related to Lorien is: can half-elves get in on their own as well?
yes
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I have heard claims that being a Grey Havens citizen makes it easier to get into Rivendell.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
ghalad

Post by ghalad »

Jahara wrote:
Andróg wrote:The question I actually have related to Lorien is: can half-elves get in on their own as well?
yes
They can get in, but they cannot lead others in (where elves can).
A happy person may not have the best of everything, but makes the best of everything.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

ghalad wrote:
Jahara wrote:
yes
They can get in, but they cannot lead others in (where elves can).
AFAIK both elves and half-elves can lead others in. Just other races who are citizens can't lead non-citizen non-elves or non-half-elves in (which may be a bug).