Trapped by a clump of roots...

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Liyun

Trapped by a clump of roots...

Post by Liyun »

I'm trapped by a clump of roots. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I'm level 6 and they keep kicking my butt when I try and hack them apart.
Alantir

Re: Trapped by a clump of roots...

Post by Alantir »

Flee like a maniac (-spam- flee) and they will let go eventually.
Civril

Post by Civril »

There was a bug that they let you go if you idle.
Don't know if it has been fixed.
Check the Bugs forum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: It is not nice to abuse bugs.
But on level six it is sometimes the only thing you can do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hey you, goblin. Uh, put on this magic helmet. Yeah, I know you're attacking me, but look, shiny helmet. Shiny!”
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

You can also ask other players to come to your aid, or, if you are in the Old Forest, Tom Bombadil.
There is also a piece of equipment that can be used to break free of roots, but it might be hard to aquire.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
androg

Post by androg »

From what I've seen, the main roots which constantly cause problems for newbies aren't in OF, rather directly half-way from BM to Forlond. Now those roots are a constant lowbie-newbie-nuisance.
Civril

Post by Civril »

androg wrote:From what I've seen, the main roots which constantly cause problems for newbies aren't in OF, rather directly half-way from BM to Forlond. Now those roots are a constant lowbie-newbie-nuisance.
Add a hunting werewolf to the mix and it's a mobdeath for midlevel character.
“Hey you, goblin. Uh, put on this magic helmet. Yeah, I know you're attacking me, but look, shiny helmet. Shiny!”
Aglach

Post by Aglach »

I expect he is talking about the roots north of Forlond. Not sure how close those are to the werewolf. The werewolves between MD and GH wander near vines, not roots. I don' think they trap you (that I recall).
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

The werewolf and roots north of Forlond pop three rooms apart, although the werewolf is closed in by default.

Edit: Or is that five rooms, with a termite in between?
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

It's five. Termites in the middle.
Parrafin

Post by Parrafin »

Hm, there's a not-so-east-to-acquire piece of EQ that just helps to free you from roots? Sounds like MUME to me...
dianos

Post by dianos »

Parrafin wrote:Hm, there's a not-so-east-to-acquire piece of EQ that just helps to free you from roots? Sounds like MUME to me...
If it is the piece of EQ that I'm thinking of it doesn't just help you escape from roots, but maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Aglach

Post by Aglach »

I'm guessing it is a no-no to actually mention the piece of equipment. Not sure why that would be. After all, Rivendell is a secret place but it gets mentioned all the time. Knowing what it is doesn't tell us how to use it and knowing it exists doens't make it any easier to find... <shrug>
Arly

Post by Arly »

I got that thingie that helps you get out of them and went to test it and it worked, but it seems it dissapears after first use on roots so it is not as usefull as it seems
Antti

Post by Antti »

(the following information was acquired by typing "mume quests" into google and then searching for the word "roots").
The quest in question is called "Beechbone's bowl", it requires you to travel to ancient forest of Fangorn, and to fetch a missing item to an ent. Other than traveling required, suitable for lowbies imho.