Town Justice Problems

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Wobbler

Town Justice Problems

Post by Wobbler »

1. When Tharbad gate guards chase Orcs or Trolls inside the town they are just as likely to hit whitie players fighting the Orcs they are chasing, causing other guards to assist them and thus actually help the Orc or Troll they are chasing.

Suggestion: Recode the gateguards so they are not aggressive to everyone while there are Orcs or Trolls inside Tharbad and until the gateguards return to their post.

2. When an abusive player attacks a mount ridden by another player, town guards will assist the abuser. If the owner of the mount protects his mount with the rescue skill, each successful interception counts as an attack on the abuser that can be reported to the town secretary. This can very easily be combined with abuse of newbie protection.

Suggestions: Remove newbie protection completely, it only protects abusers anyway. Make attacking player mounts a crime and make town guards protect any mount currently ridden by or following a citizen. Make rescue-interception not count as an attack (this should hold true for many other mudlles aswell).

3. When an abusive player deliberately suicides by attacking another player in front of a town guard, the attacked player becomes wanted for murder. This also holds true for aggressive citizen mobs, such as Tharbad gate guards or guards assisting an abuser as per 2.

Suggestion: The easiest solution would be to allow self-defence pkilling and giving players an option to choose not to hit mobs back (cha mobilecounterstrike off or something like that).

4. If an abusive player attacks another player with a spell, flees and comes back to start casting a new spell, the attacked player is not allowed to try to interrupt the spellcasting with an attack of his own.

Suggestion: If player A attacks player P, send player A to jail for perjury and for attacking player P if player A reports an attack on itself by player P that occured within, say, 30 RL seconds of the first attack.

5. There still seems to be citizen mobs in Tharbad capable of pstealing (little boys).

Suggestion: Allow attacking all pstealing mobs, or remove the psteal mudlle* from all citizen mobs.

* This mudlle needs rework anyway, since there is no delay for mobiles when pstealing and they can do it while in combat.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Wobbler

Re: Town Justice Problems

Post by Wobbler »

6. Guard type mobs will sometimes give warnings after the target player has left the room (this is far from the only mudlle that can trigger after the target player has left, btw). This seems to count towards the number of warnings a player gets before becoming wanted (dead), which can theoretically lead to a player spamming along the OER through Shire becoming wanted (dead) without seeing a single warning message.
Suggestion: Make mudlles not trigger if the target is no longer present.

7. It is far too hard to surrender once one is wanted (dead), since the only option is to turn oneself in at the secretary with guards attacking while one is trying to get there.
Suggestion: Make the follow guard work for surrendering if there is no pkilling (sameside or crossrace) involved.

8. Players are not allowed to assist nor rescue citizen mobs that are under attack by criminals (such as whities xping on bounders).
Suggestion: Allow this.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

Excellent ideas, Wobbler. In particular, the West definitely needs more protection against evil "role-playing" whities. On the small boys stealing in tbad, isn't it only the one, near the Captain? I think he's treated the same as regular thief as regards killing i.e. you don't get wanted.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

9. Players can become wanted for attacking other players even if the attacked player survives and never complains (for instance, an agreed upon non-lethal duel or fencing match with practice weapons, or hitting a groupmate slept by magic or poison to wake him up, or testing the efficiency of a spell), if a mobile should spot the action somehow. Something I thought had been fixed several years ago...
Suggestion: Make it possible for players to pardon other players who have "attacked" them.
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

It's all rather moot, though, Wobbler. The "West" in Arda is more like the American "Wild West" than anything in Tolkien: evil "role-playing" pukes rampage at will, and there is no power that can stop them. A thought, though: if such an puke wipes out the defences of the Brandywine Bridge, say, and then a darkie raid comes which benefits from that, isn't that in effect cross-race co-operation?
Vortenos

Post by Vortenos »

ciúin wrote:isn't that in effect cross-race co-operation?
Unless it was organized it would just be coincidental.
All extremists should be shot.
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

Vortenos wrote:
ciúin wrote:isn't that in effect cross-race co-operation?
Unless it was organized it would just be coincidental.
[flaming was cut], Timodeus.
Last edited by Timodeus on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The post only contained flame. Please do not write posts like that.
dianos

Post by dianos »

ciúin, if it wasn't organised then the whities were not working together with the darkies. They did not cooperate (they did not "work together"). What's your problem? Why are you attacking Vortenos?

Wobbler, good list. Well said.

I lost my faith in MUME town justice some years ago... There was some whitie who kept backstabbing my pets. I'd buy a pet, and this guy would backstab it while I talked to other people in town. There was nothing I could do about it. Eventually I attacked them, and I got sent to prison. I stopped playing on the white side after that. One of the crazy things about MUME is that people tend to by nicer on the dark side.

I'm drifting off topic.. all I wanted to say was that attacking pets should be against the law as well as attacking mounts.
elerrina

Post by elerrina »

Basically i think there should be an owner flag on all items and mobs. Mobs and items can be owned by players, individual mobs or groups like GH, BM dunland, lorien etc. and also FREE for any item dropped on the ground or loading out in the middle of nowhere.
Could add an extra reason for getting a citizenship, eg you can only take the clothes off the line in vale if you are a citizen, else you go to jail.
Naga

Post by Naga »

Aye, dianos, I think the only thing that would stop anyone from attacking your pet/mount, and get THEM sent to jail, is by practicing rescue and protecting them.

Of course, that's only for warriors and those willing to sacrifice other skills...
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

To my experience, that will only get the one protecting the pet/mount sent to jail.