Question about experience

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Fargothe

Question about experience

Post by Fargothe »

I haven't been able to find anything about this by searching, so I figured I'd ask. I'm level 12 in game, and my xping partner is level 16. I've noticed recently that when we kill things as a group, my partner will get much more experience than I do. For example, we killed a cavebear, and I gained 1,000 experience, while she gained between 2,000 and 3,000 (I'm not sure exactly how much, just that it was significantly more). Do higher level members of groups get a bigger share of experience?

Thanks.
Elestir

Re: Question about experience

Post by Elestir »

I am not sure about the details, but I've also noticed something like this. I think that the barrier is around level 15. If you are lower than that and group with ppl that are 15+, you are penalized on xp gains.
Eorberl

Post by Eorberl »

As far as I can tell, it seems to be based somewhat on how much dmg you do and how much dmg you take from said mob (but to a lesser degree). So a good way to say it would be, xp gain is based upon your actual involvement in the fight, not just if you're engaged. There are some other unknown factors, as a level 1 who does little/no dmg to a mob seems/ed to gain a little less xp than a legend level char who does roughly the same dmg.

This also seems likely because your trophy % knowledge for anything grows with your damage to said creature, not how many times you kill it.

As a general rule I try not to xp with people who are more than 3 levels higher (before legend level) and those who are 3 levels lower, because it becomes a bit unfair for the lower level character.

Mostly I'm just guessing and working from observation though, so don't take it as the unshakable truth.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

In my experience the experience from killing a mob is pretty much just distributed among the killers according to their levels, with lower levels gaining less exp than higher level characters. Besides that I haven't been able to discern any real pattern.
So, Fargothe, part of why you get less exp from killing a mob is due to you being lower level but my guess is that it is mostly due to you doing a lesser amount of damage to the mob (the difference in exp gained is too large to be explained by the relatively much smaller difference in level). It might also be due to differences in trophy, but it sounded like you had been exping together for some time so in this case it doesn't sound likely that it would be so.

Trophy % knowledge is generally mostly increased through the damage you do, however it is increased even if you do no damage at all to a mob. If it is an increase on top of the increase from doing damage to a mob or just a kind of minimum limit on knowledge gain you get from killing something I don't know. (Though the later would be much more complex to implement, and not that much better, so my guess would be that the first scenario is how it is.)

While it is true that low level characters gain relatively little exp in absolute numbers while exping with (much) higher level characters they do gain very significant exp for their level and what they need. So most of the time those low level characters gain a lot from grouping with higher level characters, though they rarely contribute much to the group themselves and at times lack very basic in-game skills (like ride, swim, climb) which IMO is the primary reason why people try to group around their own level.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I am fairly certain that trophy increase is a function of xp gained. Also remember that it is possible to gain >100% of a mob's total xp value by solo-xping and doing significant damage on an incap mob.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Caerroil wrote:In my experience the experience from killing a mob is pretty much just distributed among the killers according to their levels, with lower levels gaining less exp than higher level characters. Besides that I haven't been able to discern any real pattern.
I really remember noticeable difference while exping with higher levels as level 14 and as level 15 (or maybe 15 and 16, not sure already). Therefore I believe there is also some barrier I spoke about in my previous post. Or maybe it depends on the difference between your level and the maximum level in the group (e.g. less xp if the difference is greater than 10 effective levels etc.). Only ppl from management with C-code access can probably answer this.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

It is very possible that a level difference of more than 5, 10 and possibly more steps gives certain reductions in gained exp (I seem to recall something along those lines from some RPG), though I would guess that it is with regards to the level difference between the character and the mob killed (which tends to scale somewhat with the levels of the people exping, indirectly that is).
Lindonon

Post by Lindonon »

From my observation the best exp is gained from mobs that con 'Do you feel lucky punk' that should be 5 (or 6?) levels higher. If level difference between player and mob is lower ('you need .. luck') or higher ('are you mad'/'you are mad') then the exp gain is lower.