Quick Start Quide to Level 1 Fornost

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
shibeka

Quick Start Quide to Level 1 Fornost

Post by shibeka »

Mume is a fantastic game, carefully written on the bones of Tolkien‘s Middle Earth. Adventures here are at times whimsical and frequently verge on the horrific. Mume’s adapted Diku combat system is unsurpassed.

The basic game is too involved to relate here, but it is not difficult to learn as you will just be doing those things. There are HELP files.

First thing the old school tells you is play a warrior to get the feel of the game. Warriors need little help (besides, there are hungry lions about). You will soon need the company of players to advance other classes. In any case, you need experience points now.

You begin. You read a bit, you know you will need to eat and drink. You PRAY to FORNOST

Part 1. And he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones

Would be a good time to access your mortality. Type WHO A

WHO A - scan the heavens for some help

This command lists what Ainur (Gods) are in the realms. Hopefully somebody is around and not idle. If you see one of the high and mighty ask for a newbie kit. This requires the TELL command and some sense.

Two things could happen:

A. You have received the kit, (if you try to use the spiffy WEAR ALL command, you are wielding a cup. Below see the EQ command and INV command.)

B. You got nothing. Drink from the Well, poke around while you get hungry and thirsty. Try to find the *INN or dropped items to sell.

DROP <item> - useful in cases where you actually have something undesired
GET <item> - sometimes there is overstock on shop floors. I would get that
GET <item> <container>
EXA <most anything>

Perhaps ask shopkeepers for their LIST.

LIST <filter>
SELL <god knows what>

Log out if you can’t get help and come back another time. Other players often have the means to help you into the game. I don’t know you but if I was in Fornost and had recently been pounded into dust by trolls I could still buy you a water skin and map to hold you over some, that is, if it is you want to fight.

WHERE - shows your side players nearby
TELL <player> <something> (you would have to work that out)

Part 2. Managing in a strange land

EQUIPMENT - shows the condition of things you are wearing
INVENTORY - your stuff, if it is a newbie kit, more or less important stuff

(just in case, REM the fear inspiring cup, ponder the flask of oil on your belt)

REMOVE <item>
WEAR <item>

Using the four commands above you achieve the semblance of a player. Check your map.

LOOK MAP - Show the very high walls of Fornost

Part 3. What now?

1. Train

A. Fortunately you chose to be a warrior, which Fornost is one the best places to practice up. The Warrior guild is to the North and down that street to the west a few. Typing PRACTICE there will tell you what skills you can learn easily. Concussion is very nice, IMHO, though if you rate easy in that, you probably didn’t get easy in Parry. If you rated easy in Parry, you will likely want to take Slashing. Seems like that to me, but I defer to more knowledgeable folk here. Regardless, learn Parry. You want to take Endurance, and Bash eventually. Hopefully you can learn Bash well but it will be a while before you can smash your shield into anything you really fear. Kick is not my recommendation. Just focus on one weapon form. Anything you got left over should go into Wilderness training after Dodge. That is in the ranger guild on the way out of town and the scouts guild in the civic area.

B. If you happen to have some other class I would try to find the official complex down a west ally and to the south near the stables. I would practice a tad of Wilderness at the ranger guild and Dodge with Piercing there in the complex. That might not be the best advice. Anyway, be some time before you get to qualify class magics and wear a cool title if you play up a weapon class early. I know no other way.

note: Training outside your class will dimish your class abilities to a degree, except training offered by the Ranger guild. Some Bandage is a life saver and many of the others will be expected of you, climb, ride and swim being most common.Think about getting those to a workable level soon.

Commands
PRACTICE used alone (outside the guild) reveals details on your expertise
PRACTICE <skill> (used in a guild)

Part 4. Necessities and where to get them

Things you need to play:

Water Skin <Travel Shop> <Certain Places like Bree, Elven Camp and Greenholm>
Command : DRINK SKIN, drink <container>
Related Command: POUR WATER SKIN
Related Command: WEAR SKIN BELT

Some Meat <Grocers> or <Kills>
Command: EAT MEAT, eat <food>

Appropriate Weapon <Weaponsmith> <Evil Mobs>
Sell things from the kit, like the shortsword, if you are not trained in piercing
Command: WIELD <Weapon Type>
Command: REMOVE <Weapon Type> (use REM)
Related command: HIT <butterfly, rabbit, fish, other pwn>
Related command: SCOUT <direction> (safe way to check out the next room)
note on flee:
Related command: FLEE (think eject, from there you can decide what way to go, if the mob follows leave using a direction before it engages you, IRL panic after fleeing is worse then useless)

Armour <Armoursmith> <Evil Mobs>
Usually nice metal pieces cost too much. Hard or Rigid Leather goes a long way. As a warrior you have high strength and may wear metal. If you did not class with strength you wont be able to carry very heavy things or move well in heavy pieces.

Shield
Wood shields are cheap. The larger the better.
Command: WEAR SHIELD

Belt
Command: WEAR BELT

Lantern
If you have no belt you need to hold this when it gets dark
Command: WEAR LANTERN <BELT>
Command: REM LANTERN
Command: SNUFF LANTERN

Oil
Flasks of oil are as important as food.
Command: FILL LANTERN

Map of Fornost <Travel Shop> <newbie kit>
Command: LOOK MAP (look 2.map, look 3.map)

Pan <Travel Shop> <Farmer Maggot’s kitchen> <Small Farm somewhere to the south maybe?>
Command: WEAR PAN BELT
Command: PUT MEAT PAN
Command: COOK RAW

Butcher/Hunting Knife
Command: WEAR KNIFE BELT
Command: BUTCHER CORPSE, butcher 2.corpse

Sack (aka 1.sack)
Command: PUT <item> SACK
Command: GET <item> SACK
Command: LOOK IN SACK

Sack (aka 2.sack)
Command: as above with 2.sack

Not essential things you might want:

Backpack
Forest Green Cloak

Commands you will need in the next 2 days:
SLEEP (regenerates health, mana, moves, see also REST)
CAMP (when you need a warm fire, try not to sleep in the snow)
SAY (abbreviated with a ‘ thingy)
NARRATE (be cool)
SCO (your fortitudes)
STAT (what big teeth you have)
INFO (who you are including SCO and STAT)

Part 5. Go West Young Man

Get your butt out of the Fornost area. Use SAY OPEN and CALL OPEN to pass city gates. Keep going south on the Road to Fornost past any nasty wolves (see FLEE command above) You have a command, MAP, on it you will see Bree to the south.

If you like, you can enter Bree in daylight hours but REM Weapon; you are not a citizen yet. Actually, that wielding in cities leads to another command, FOLLOW <guard>. But as you did not go west to Bree but stopped at obviously significant Old East Road Meets Greenway, you head WEST right to the SHIRE.

Giant rat on the way would kill you. Old Forest to the south of the East Road will kill you. FLEE the rat I suppose, hopefully, and by chance, to the west direction you wanted to go. Finally, cause you rock so much, you made it and see tough little hobbits(es).

The Shire is really the best place to swing your sword. If anything kills you there that is really bad luck (see CON). Look for things to hit not larger then a bread box, I have never seen a bread box, but I assume foxes are larger and more level 3ish. Spend as long as you like looking for items you can sell for very little coin and annoying the hobbits with your outlandish clothing. When you feel you are full of easy levels find the Old East Road and head for the Grey Havens to the West and Practice. This trip to Grey Havens is not much more dangerous then the giant rat, though near to Tower Hills watch for two rabid wolves. The ‘F key’ will make you flee. Good luck.

Man oh man, you really rock, and made it to GH from the RTF. I would respect that. People speak tales of places in this way, “BN OERMG“. “Any Legend Bree?”

I hate BNs

So, Welcome to Harlond. The elves like you but will also throw you in jail for waving your sword around. Here, your citizenship is free.

*INN:
This is a game to win, decisions, gains, and quests. You finish at Inns. If you are ready and have need, See HELP RENT
Last edited by shibeka on Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:52 am, edited 18 times in total.
shibeka

Re: Quick Start Quide to Level 1 Fornost

Post by shibeka »

I wrote the above after reading the Need Newbie Guide Posts. Please cite any corrections. I was thinking to wiki it but have no clue if it is worthwhile

I did think I learned to play MUME in an adventure.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Nice guide :)
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Shibeka wrote:Lantern
If you have no belt you need to hold this when it gets dark
Command: WEAR LANTERN <BELT>
Command: REM LANTERN
Command: SNUFF LANTERN
I'd add:
Command: LIGHT LANTERN
Command: COVER LANTERN
Command: UNCOVER LANTERN
Shibeka wrote:Pan <Travel Shop> <Farmer Maggot’s kitchen> <Small Farm somewhere to the south maybe?>
Command: WEAR PAN BELT
Command: PUT RAW PAN
Command: COOK RAW
Since when can you actually "PUT RAW PAN" ?
Also there could be note that having chunk of salt in inventory while cooking helps.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

The training part of your guide is slightly wrong. It's essential to get at least three prac points in these skills ASAP: bandage, ride, swim and climb. Prefebly a lot more than 3 when it comes to ride, swim and climb. Practising warrior skills should come only after that. Oh and - 1-2 pracs into pick can also help a lot, even on low levels. But yeah, otherwise your Guide is good, I especially like the way you used humour. :)
shibeka

Post by shibeka »

OK I can see getting bandage, but this applied to just level 1 training. Yet, Bandage with 2 practices is not very useful.

I thought the wilderness set is nice because walking to the Shire with no wilderness and a newbie kit would be exhausting. Otherwise, this is the only training they will get till say level 3 or 4. Needs to be swords and dodge most here. Bash totally can be done later. Endurance is grounding. I don't regret it, but if anyone has a more detailed recommendation for a level 1 walking to the GH quest, I would be happy to consider it.

I will add a word about survival skills and add SAY/CALL OPEN, that is a foil. I will also put in EXA, which occurred to me around Bree some ranger corpses sometimes have stuff as well a brigands and thieves in the hills, I really did just want to be encouraging. DRINK WATER only works at fountains and ponds like, not skins, though next to it will work

COVER like MEND and TRAIN is not really a start up skill, my idea being 'hit the ground running' essentials. Like SCOUT, lol. I allowed it as it might appeal to someone. I need a disclaimer, omg
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Hmm... As far as I know ranger-guild practising is not level-limited? You could as well put all your starting (10-13) practice points into wilderness if you wanted. That's why I'd definitely get about 4 pracs of bandage and some 6 of ride right in the beginning. A riding lvl1 warrior will not even go tired while going from Fornost to Shire (unless he gets lost on the way, of course). And I agree about bash - that skill is pretty useless until lvl7 or so, and even then it only works selectively until lvl9-10. (Selectively meaning that often you simply do more damage by hitting and not trying to land that one-out-of-four bash.)
shibeka

Post by shibeka »

You could do a level 1 riding adventure; make a web page with maps, mobs and destinations with rewards. I wont.

I do think if you try to do this without parry and a decent shield you will have a hard time. A player should opt for a leather chest piece and go AGGRESSIVE on butterflies with an ok weapon, I would like that.

damn butterflies
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

From my experience, 3 pracs in bandage will only get you somewhere on chars who have the needed stats (which you usually do not have on warriors - which I recommend for new players). If your bandage is below 50%, it'll suck. 30%ish is next to useless.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

You can only put 3 pracs in ranger skills each level, and 3 extra to start with. So at level 1 you can have a total of 6 pracs in any one ranger skill, 9 on level 2 and so on. So the limits are high enough that one almost never will notice them.

I would agree that ride isn't in any way necessary from the start, it will cost a decent amount of pracs to get the skill to a useful level and it isn't always a trivial task to find a mount. I do however feel that a useful level in bandage (at least 40% and preferably 50+%) is necessary. With poor abs you will get hit and receive nasty wounds all the time and being able to make those stop bleeding quickly and also heal quickly is a great ability.

Regarding eq the priority should IMO be a good weapon, a good shield, a forest green cloak and last some absorb eq. The reason to leave the absorb eq for last is that without a full set of absorb eq you will get hit in the bodyparts without absorb eq anyway, thanks to the "new" melee system. Also the level of defence you can get with a good shield and some plain clothes tends to be enough that low level mobs won't hit you much.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

My experience with bandage is very different from what you're claiming here. Anything below 25% is pointless, 26-30% works just barely and not really with more difficult wounds, but 31+% is basically all one will ever need. Sure, you'll fail a few of your bandage attempts, but 99% of time that won't get you killed, so no point to waste more prac points on it. Get a bit over 30% and you'll be fine. However, pushing it up to 50% is totally pointless.
Elestir

Post by Elestir »

Andróg wrote:... 31+% is basically all one will ever need. Sure, you'll fail a few of your bandage attempts, but 99% of time that won't get you killed, so no point to waste more prac points on it. Get a bit over 30% and you'll be fine. However, pushing it up to 50% is totally pointless.
To survive, even less than 30% is probably enough. Thing is that high bandage means, your grievous and critical wounds will heal much more quickly than they would with low bandage. And unless you have other means of curing wounds, high bandage is very nice for lowbie (especially if you dont xp in full metal eq and therefore get these wounds easily).
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Good start! Thanks for doing this.

I think you should upload your guide to mume.org/wiki, so that all those people who gave their suggestions here can improve and add more details to the guide themselves. A community effort sometimes leads to good results :)
shibeka

Post by shibeka »

OK, I will post this to the Wiki. TY everyone.