Spear user stats

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
pinion

Spear user stats

Post by pinion »

I've got a human warrior with weird stats that tends to lean towards heavy dex. I was wondering about making him a spear user (I know they aren't considered very good, don't care). Can someone enlighten me as to some good stats for a spear wielding human warrior?
Wobbler

Re: Spear user stats

Post by Wobbler »

I'd go with Str:18 Int:14 Wis:10 Dex:13 Con:17 Wil:13 Per:14.
105% track and functional bob. Its disadvantage will be low db, but one can't rely on defence as a spear wielder anyway...
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

IMO the only stat you want/need to adapt based on weapon class is STR, so you get enough to wield your weapon of choice. Since pretty much all high damage weapons require 18 STR it means that more or less all warriors are free to choose any weapon skill they want without their stats really making much of a difference (if any at all).
So adapt your stats based on the STR required by your weapon of choice and then based on how good defence, how fast track, what spells and so on that you want to have and then possibly maybe at the very end adapt your stats for your weapon of choice (however if you still have stat points to spend at this point you did something very wrong IMO).
What stats you can/should/want to use is very hard to tell since you didn't give your reference stats. Warrior with high DEX sounds good that far, so as long as it doesn't also have something like 11 CON, which is just horrible for warriors, it should be possible to reroll to something decent.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Whitie warriors should always have max str imo, since, apart from pracs, it directly affects ob, damage, db, mobility and bashing ability. Darkies may have to go with less than max due to lack of creation points.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

I'd say that the question of how much str to get boils down to how eq and age dependent you want to be. Lets face it, almost all of the good offensive weapons need 18 str to wield, so that's the number you need to get. There are a few different way to get that str, though.

First option would be to get 18 base str. What makes it so appealing is that you never need to worry about your strength again. You'll have 18 str when you are born in the first age, and it lasts all the way through the playable warrior ages.

Second option would be to find a way to keep strength spell up all the time, and rely on the +2 str it usually provides. The positive side of this option is that you can spend your stat points on something else instead of getting near max str. But that also limits playability in several ways. You'll either need to have a strength ring with you all the time or a cleric has to keep the spell up. Being so eq dependent means that you cannot take very much risk in PK situations, because when you lose the precious power ring, you are nearly useless until you find a next one.

Going even further, it's also possible to train stats to get str up. However, that "feature" is so broken that I get depressed when I start thinking about it.