Legend rerolls after 6 months

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
science

Legend rerolls after 6 months

Post by science »

Please? 12 months is just too long...

Either that, or fix the (bug, imo) that has train improve/etc not affect practice %'s. If it was meant to replace rerolls, then make it replace rerolls. Though it adds this whole complex level of cheaterness to combos which is actually pretty fun to play around with, shrug. So just shorten the legend reroll requirement to 6 months! Please please please!
Jahara

Re: Legend rerolls after 6 months

Post by Jahara »

And shorten the age-reset time period of less than hero characters to 1 month!
science

Post by science »

Agreed. I've helped several lowbies lately who I had to explain the best way to reset their age was to go throw themselves at a beast and die. They didn't seem to think it was very rp! And no-one was going to help them FOY, obviously, since he was only level 8 or so.
dianos

Post by dianos »

In my opinion, it should be both:
Change train so that it affect base stats, like a reroll, and shorten reroll wait time to 6 months.

In my opinion, the current implementation of train improve is broken. How it affects your character is simply bizarre - it changes the effect of stats for some purposes, but not for others. It's confusing, and in my opinion it damages the game. (I've been saying this ever since it was introduced. I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who cares about it.)
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

While I agree completely with the proposal that rerolls and ageresets shouldn't take that long, then I don't think that current effects of the training system are that confusing. Yes, they're not what they were intended to be, but they are not confusing. Instead of having an effect on the base stats they have effect on the "live stats" (that is, the ones in your "info"). The effects of live stats were what they were already before this change, now there's simply a way how to change them (while before only age, wounds and such changed them).
science

Post by science »

Now we just have to get someone with the power to make changes to read the forum.

And then agree to let our democracy/anarchy have the power to influence them, muhahaha! Wish we could do some awesome supermob in-game, and get the "implementor's staff" that would let us make policy decisions for awhile. I can dream..
science

Post by science »

Who should I pester to consider changing this? :)
Antti

Post by Antti »

You should pester the idea board.
Please type "help idea" in the game and follow the instructions.
And personally I feel that 12 months is indeed long.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Concerning suggestions about retirement... if (and it's an 'if' because I'm not a psychic mindreader who'd know) the Management really does feel that short rerolls are bad because one can tweak the chars too much then and that'd be kind of fake if the same-name-char pops up completely different all the time, then perhaps there are ways how to make initial rerolls faster, but lots of tweaking harder... perhaps like:

You get first reroll after 3 months of retirement, second after 4 months, etc, to a standard max. lenght of 12 months. (Obviously can play with the numbers there, but you get the idea.)

Like this constant tweaking would still get almost impossible (or well - too slow), but those who want to modify their chars a bit don't have to suffer because there are people out there who'd tweak their chars like crazy if they could.

Just brainstorming here.... thoughts?
nimfea

Post by nimfea »

:idea: :idea: :idea: While ago I had same idea and I did "idea" it in mume. I suggested first re-roll after 3 months of retirement and if you want to re-roll same character again you have to wait +3 months. So first re-roll after 3 months, next after 6 and so on.
Becouse most of my characters are not very well built (i simply didnt know about stats that much when i created them). Some have (2) creationpoints left over, i would like to change it so i could use them. Some were auto-stats (i dont know if limited reroll even can help them.). We should have a chance to fix all this.
The f**** up part is, that you wont get no responce to your ideas when you post them. Its like screaming in desert. They should
at least say that they dont have time/will/belief or whatever to deal with it.
But 12 monts is ridicules solution for whatever the problem was :( :evil: :evil:
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

I assure you, good ideas that have been properly thought out do get a responce. Problem with the ideas is, though, that most of them fall into these categories:

1. "There should be more of X in mume!!", where X can be quests, items, whatever. Well, cool, you want more of X, but you've offered zero input in how to actually do that and fit it into the game. Someone would have to get inspired by your post and do all the hard work there because simply saying "you know, X would be a really nice addition" does not qualify as "helping".
2. "X should be changed in Y way!". Sure, people will read the idea-post, but then again... there was probably a reason behind by X ended up in its current form, so simply saying that you disagree with that is not exactly a productive idea proposal...
3. Incoherent whining by people who want game modified so their playstyles would prevail.

Aside these categories there are the occasional productive proposals and those do deserve a responce, but I see no reason why most of the posts that fall into the 3 categories there would deserve one.

I mean, even if... lets imagine we have an active Imp who is actively coding, etc. Lets say he also actively responds to all suggestions. Can you imagine how much time that would take - to respond to everything that gets posted on these boards? His active coding time would rather quickly turn into active chatting time...
nimfea

Post by nimfea »

My idea do not fall to any of those categories. Its a good idea, and alot of people would support it. Whatever reason is behind 12 months, it is not a good solution imHo. And i dont see what arguments should work against my supergreat idea. Those chars are abit broken due made by newbie. Waiting 12 months is not an option, they might as well make it 5 years.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Well, I kind of agree and I kind of don't. I mean, what you are suggesting does, to an extent, fit into:
2. "X should be changed in Y way!". Sure, people will read the idea-post, but then again... there was probably a reason behind by X ended up in its current form, so simply saying that you disagree with that is not exactly a productive idea proposal...
Assuming that those who have put the 12-month requirement into place find that a suitable time period, then it's rather unlikely that anything is going to change if you simply suggest them to change it. I mean, you disagree with them, they disagree with you, they control the situation, thus nothing changes, right?

However, you might get productive responces if you suggest a new system/way how that part of the game would work while not necessarily changing the balance itself. That's tricky to do, yes, but it has a far better chance of being listened to than simply saying that you disagree with an established game mechanic.

In some situations simply disagreeing might even work, but then you'd need conclusive proof that it's simply unbalanced. Whether waiting 12 months is balanced or not is highly arguable.
nimfea

Post by nimfea »

Sure they had their reason. Probably that people would not tweak their chars so very often (not that limited re-roll actually gives you option to change your char in so many various ways.). And by doing the 12 months thingie, they also took away chances to fix characters/make crappy ones better. So i presented option that wont create any huge chaos and give people chance to work a little on chars that are "broken".
I find it to be reasonable. Im askin for a chance to make few characters i put alot of effort to in my early days better, couse they turned out to be made wrong. Now when they have something against that, then my idea conflicts with theirs, and i would like to know what is that reason. I dont think its time to fight or ignore decreasing playerbase right now. And i think all of us want that chance to tune some of our characters.

I didnt simply put it: X to be done Y way, do it! I gave the reason why it should be done and one of the options how it could be done. Now they can change it the way it suits them best. Maybe give only 1 reroll at all. Thats all most of us need. Or another chance way later to try again. But if the best option is 12 for them, id like to know why. Giving me 3-4 sentenses in respond would not be so hard. And i doubt they get ideas and bugreports flying in every day in masses. Or am i wrong.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

What your saying makes sense, just unfortunately the people in charge don't appear to be particularly interested in communicating their thoughts and reasons to the community.

Few small notes, kind of off-topic:
1. The playerbase is not decreasing. You can look at the charts on MUME homepage yourself. It has been relatively stable for past ~1.5 years. There have been fluctuations, but overall it can't be argued that the playerbase is decreasing.
2. I think bug and idea boards get like on ~3.5 posts per day. I haven't really kept any kind of statistics though, so that's just my impression. Typo board gets less than that (although some of the stuff on bug board could be easily classified as typos too). So yeah, they do get posts, not much.