[News] Mandos sleep

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

[News] Mandos sleep

Post by Gothmog »

Message 2277 : Mandos sleep (Nienor)
Written on Sun Mar 9 21:18:25 2008

Mandos sleep has been renamed to "shadow of death". Characters affected by shadow of death can enter Arda but suffer debilitating penalties.

There may be more changes to this affect in the near or the more distant future.
Elemmakil

Re: [News] Mandos sleep

Post by Elemmakil »

Good job Fror, Nienor, Gothmog etc. etc.

Now will you just reply to me Gothmog?
Gothmog
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Gothmog »

I can't take credit for any of this, even though I really think it's a great change. I'm just the messenger. No cake for me.
Iluvator

Post by Iluvator »

Sweet. No more having to stash someones eq until Mandos gone. I like it.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Has anyone experienced Shadow of Death yet?
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Orix

Post by Orix »

Every day when I wake up ;)
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

i'am not sure i understand whats the point of the whole thing. :-/
I thought mandos sleep was there to
a) Stop people spamdying and spam-going-back in action, which is quite "unrealistic" so to say
b) prevent abuses and spam-mobrips.

The penalties part prevents players from instantly going back in action, but it also makes the charecter quite unplayable, does it?
So we do not move anywhere from the point of "can not play the char for 3 days", given the fact that the shadow of death lasts as long as mandos sleep used to.

and we do not prevent people from just spamdying, going back to "check corpse" and whining a lot after redying. which removes the second purpose of mandos sleep. :-/

It's great that something is changing! I just don't see where this exact chang is heading.
Do i miss something?
Nienor

Post by Nienor »

Azazello wrote:i'am not sure i understand whats the point of the whole thing. :-/
I thought mandos sleep was there to
a) Stop people spamdying and spam-going-back in action, which is quite "unrealistic" so to say
b) prevent abuses and spam-mobrips.
and we do not prevent people from just spamdying, going back to "check corpse" and whining a lot after redying. which removes the second purpose of mandos sleep. :-/
I am too new as a Vala to know what the stated purpose of Mandos sleep was. I think, however, that we can reasonably assume that preventing people from redying and whining was not a consideration.
Azazello wrote: So we do not move anywhere from the point of "can not play the char for 3 days", given the fact that the shadow of death lasts as long as mandos sleep used to.
The duration and the chance to get the "shadow of death" affect might change soon.
Azazello wrote: It's great that something is changing! I just don't see where this exact chang is heading.
Do i miss something?
You are missing the fact that a solo player now has a chance to retrieve his corpse without enlisting someone to help by technically illegal means (IM or asking for help on MUME with another character). In my book, this change is already good, even though it may not yet be complete.
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

Nienor wrote: You are missing the fact that a solo player now has a chance to retrieve his corpse without enlisting someone to help by technically illegal means (IM or asking for help on MUME with another character). In my book, this change is already good, even though it may not yet be complete.
Hehe, i guess you cant have both - prevent people from spamdying and give them a chance to loot their corpse at the same time.
Or ? :?

i can not count the times i had to toss over Stolb's or someone elses equ, to some third-party chars or Vip's chars or something. Just because Stolb just died, i or someone else managed to loot, but he could not get the equ himself!
*clap*
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I think it's great to have two bad things change in the same night, seemingly independent of each other.
I'm not sure this has happened before during the 12 years since I made my first own character.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Elemmakil

Post by Elemmakil »

Azazello: "to some third-party chars or Vip's chars or something. "

Hahaha :P Poor Vip..
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Well for my part I prefer the old mandos sleep because I experienced shadow of death , it gives me 20 ob on aggressive mood around RD .
but is'nt it too risky for someone to go loot his corpse with 20 ob?
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

That's for you to decide depending on the situation. Now you can, however, use your newdead character to ask for help retrieving your equipment instead of using illegal means.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

does shadow of death works like mandos sleep? because when someone is affected by mandos sleep his corpse is automatically shadowed.

So if it is the same with shadow of death , so it means I should go by myself to loot my shadowed corpse , coz I guess its hard to ask people to kill my shadow and bring me my equipments :p

but With 20 ob as unarmed troll , I won't dare venture to go and loot my corpse because I couldn't even kill the rattlesnake at mrak to get fgc :(
grimp

Post by grimp »

Mandos Sleep was made to stop high-lev ppl from spamsuiciding, going back to loot their corpses before shadow is done and so on. Mostly to prevent spamsuiciding. Now that the feature's point is gone, why keep something that doesn't really make sense? Shadow of Death should occur on every death then, even the name makes no sense.

Sometimes death feels like throwing his evil shadow presence on me, sometimes it doesn't feel like it? Kk, but what's the point. Sometimes your char gets fawked up for a couple of days, sometimes not. It fixes nothing.
'

Edit: even the name is a cliche, "Shadow of Death" - wow! Homm 3 expansion anyone? Most common combination of "evil words" anyone? Why not make it something not so common, like Death's Turmoil, Death's Embrace or maybe something not so cliche evil, "Recovering" or whatever....
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

The explicitly stated intention of Mandos Sleep was to make playing a legend something special.
I cannot recall any upper management statement about wanting to prevent people from dying.
Razoor

Post by Razoor »

The problem is that the change is very unfair to casters. A warrior CAN still go loot his corpse with the
-127ob and -127db, but a mage or BN can NOT pray and run to get his corpse without any mana. The warrior is still
sitting on his 400hp and 150 moves, but the caster has ~150-200 and 90 moves.

Just cut the max-mana in half and add bn-like -depresssion instead.
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

Razoor wrote:The problem is that the change is very unfair to casters. A warrior CAN still go loot his corpse with the
-127ob and -127db, but a mage or BN can NOT pray and run to get his corpse without any mana. The warrior is still
sitting on his 400hp and 150 moves, but the caster has ~150-200 and 90 moves.

Just cut the max-mana in half and add bn-like -depresssion instead.
Yuh, The malues for warriors are perfectly fine, but the malues for pure casters are not that good :-/
No way will i ever pray as woland if i have no mana for armour and bob. :-(
Infínìty

Post by Infínìty »

This shadow of death is some real bullshit! Really so beyond annoying that when they finally is going to change something, it's really no change at all.

Play bn with depression and shadow of death? Helo?

I don't remember who said this, but it's been said by someone all the same:
Picture this scenario: "you come home from work on Friday afternoon, looking forward to play your favorite char/new char/Only char!, and you are unlucky and die after 5 minutes played. You get mandos sleep for the max amount of time and can't play your character anymore for the whole weekend"

That was in my opinion the most important reason that mandos sleep had to go! So hurray, they changed it...
...but hey! all chars with shadow of death is still unplayable, mages and clerics especially!

This is stupid, it''s a game designed for people to play and have fun. Come on! shadow of death is a crappy change!
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

I'am still hoping that the duration will be halfed at least. In the amount of zeroes. in power. :-/
All other ways it's quite useless, except for the getting your own equ back and using mume communication in case you have to tell where your lonely corpse is...