Travel Points

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
wilderon

Re: Travel Points

Post by wilderon »

i am in my opinion very good at xping. i took a cleric from start to level 40 in 25 hrs of play time. not the fastest on the planet but not a bad speed. no pk included. not one time did i hit tps needed tnl. i also found from my experience that i get more tps at lower levels in some areas than i do at higher levels. maybe the game is biased based on levels. i always get 10k tps before i start xping. sure people will say ah that sucks takes so long. not really i might even die once or twice. but if mume has taught me anything it is patience. (and that swedes suck!!!) :twisted: for puke pray fornost tp all over fornost the all west to gh tp that entire zone then go all south to tharbad tping all gway zone. if you dont have 10k tps by that time then you arent really tping the zone you are just following the road. so stop being freaking lazy and expecting eveything to be handed to you and freaking work at it. lazy bastards. :o
Puke Lords: Beltar Avid Ballin Carltan Kamil Tevrak Rabble Langdin Wilderon

Evil Lords: Citan Wort Wilt Curt Ebonix Decimation
Ågran

Post by Ågran »

Agree Curt
Matu

Post by Matu »

I find it absurd that if I run with my lowbie torc from NOC to the back-end of Lorien that I only get enough TP for level 12. I mean it's a long fucking journey. Same with running to Tharbad as lowbie :/ I mean if the system is now based on how well-travelled you are instead of visiting seldom-visited rooms then it should be reflected realistically. Travelling some 500 rooms (1000km?) barefoot should be quit an achievement.
coyote

Post by coyote »

Matu wrote:I find it absurd that if I run with my lowbie torc from NOC to the back-end of Lorien that I only get enough TP for level 12. I mean it's a long fucking journey. Same with running to Tharbad as lowbie :/ I mean if the system is now based on how well-travelled you are instead of visiting seldom-visited rooms then it should be reflected realistically. Travelling some 500 rooms (1000km?) barefoot should be quit an achievement.
My major concern with the new way that tps are rewarded, is that someone who isn't pretty damned experienced at the game, will basically never make it past level 5 or maybe 10, unless someone grabs them and drags them all over the game world. It's inherently unfair to true newbies to make them wander all over and end up mobbing and losing a level and their gear and still not having enough tps to get past their next level, and all of the DTs I've found that weren't removed, are in areas that are at least nominally for newbies, such as south greenway, when I accidentally walked down twice into the DT near Big John, and lost more tps than I'd gained that night. :roll:
wilderon

Post by wilderon »

he did say lowbie torc coyote. aka not a newbie. aka should be able to spam all over arda. i get 10-15k tps before i start xping on every character and you will never have to tp until level 30 or so.
Puke Lords: Beltar Avid Ballin Carltan Kamil Tevrak Rabble Langdin Wilderon

Evil Lords: Citan Wort Wilt Curt Ebonix Decimation
dianos

Post by dianos »

coyote wrote:
Matu wrote:I find it absurd that if I run with my lowbie torc from NOC to the back-end of Lorien that I only get enough TP for level 12. I mean it's a long fucking journey. Same with running to Tharbad as lowbie :/ I mean if the system is now based on how well-travelled you are instead of visiting seldom-visited rooms then it should be reflected realistically. Travelling some 500 rooms (1000km?) barefoot should be quit an achievement.
My major concern with the new way that tps are rewarded, is that someone who isn't pretty damned experienced at the game, will basically never make it past level 5 or maybe 10, unless someone grabs them and drags them all over the game world. It's inherently unfair to true newbies to make them wander all over and end up mobbing and losing a level and their gear and still not having enough tps to get past their next level, and all of the DTs I've found that weren't removed, are in areas that are at least nominally for newbies, such as south greenway, when I accidentally walked down twice into the DT near Big John, and lost more tps than I'd gained that night. :roll:
I had been playing for a long time before I first ever needed TP more than XP. I think it takes much more experience and knowledge to XP effectively than to TP effectively and so only experienced players who aim to XP quickly are really hit by the TP requirements. Just walking around picking herbs and selling them in shops is a typical newbie activity which gives plenty of TP. Walking between towns, dodging wolves, looking for your favourite XP spot... no - I don't expect that newbies would have any trouble getting TP unless someone was trying to spoon feed XP to them.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

To my experience, it is considerably easier to gain TPs as a whitie than as an Orc, not unlikely to a great extent because there are several dozen zones west of the Brandywine and south of Fangorn that are very hard to TP in as an Orc, aswell as a couple of dozen zones patrolled by rangers that are hard to TP in at lower levels. Assuming a total of ~60 zones and an average of 200 TPs per zone and visit for a well-travelled character (the latter number being somewhat arbitrary), this would mean about 12,000 TPs less for an Orc than for a Whitie for a full lap of Arda. I have also seen claims that Orcs gain fewer TPs per zone than whities, but if this is true it may well be a side-effect of likely having visited fewer zones between each return visit (based on the assumption that travelling further before revisiting an old area may have a chance of increasing the TPs gained upon the return visit).
In addition to this, Orcs, if my memory serves me right, require more TPs per level than Whities (note that the "level" command does not give accurate information in all cases).

While it is true that Orcs are deliberately harder to play because they are intended for experienced players, I think the total effect of this system is that patience is by far the most important attribute.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.