Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Vortenos

Re: Recent changes, a bright future ahead

Post by Vortenos »

I have no experience playing a scout, but I've played lots and lots of other MUDs and graphical MMORPGs and I can say this: no one likes their class being nerfed.
All extremists should be shot.
Razoor

Post by Razoor »

Here it's not so much about "my" class being nerfed, but rather a huge imbalanced caused to one of the classes for no apparent reason. Thieves weren't better than any other class, more like the opposite they were probably the worst class, now they're just...terrible.
Fankil

Post by Fankil »

You don't get more convincing only because you say the same thing over, and over, and over again, Razoor. :|
Fankil - Servant of Morgoth (Shaper)
molly

Post by molly »

Well after all the talk of all these changes coming, and that scouts was just the start of the changes, I'd love to know where the other changes are? March 20th was the post on the scout changes. Patience I was told by Ilie, as this was just the beginning. And then what happens? NOTHING else changes. The flurry of changes was all about reducing scouts to crap and nothing else. If this was the first of many changes, then how about making the other changes? It's pushing two months now. So in all fairness, give the scouts the rerolls so they can play other chars and we can move on. I actually had high hopes that management was involved and moving this forward with substantial changes for all classes. It would appear with the silence for that last 7 weeks aftering nerfing scouts was that this changes was the first in ............ (more silence) .......... I'd love an update from Ainur that says what's the next step in class changes? Gothmog and Ilie, how about some updates?
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

The word is that Ilie has been moving into a new house which is keeping him from continuing a strict development path towards the other class updates. Other than that I haven't heard much about the other V+ but that shouldn't let any of you down. A couple Valar were given C access which is unprecedented in MUME as C is the low-level code that is usually only given to Aratar for security reasons. This means that the 'behind the scenes' changes to MUME are steadily moving forward and should improve development speed dramatically.

Also, a here is a little easter egg of things to come; a couple extra ??? zones magically appeared in Mirkwood for those who haven't noticed.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Don't get me wrong, Jahara, I agree that everything didn't just go stale after the scout changes, but let me be a bit... well, a bit of something.

So: what exactly is the notable difference between giving a Vm C-access and promoting the Vm to A?
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Andróg wrote:what exactly is the notable difference between giving a Vm C-access and promoting the Vm to A?
This is my opinion and understanding of the matter, but that old method requires an Implementor to log on to promote a character. By lowering the access requirements the old system is being bypassed rather then changed. This means that the older gods still retain some sort of seniority and status-power (i.e. tenure) while allowing the newer gods to essentially do the same thing (or all the things).
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

A+ have more access than V. And it is also about authority (to decide and/or change stuff without having to ask someone).
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

I thought only a few of the A had access to the C code, but since a few people posting above me with more time spent "up there" and most likely more knowledge than me didn't mention that I guess I was wrong.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Caerroil, you should pay more attention to the Ainur board. ;)

Just lately Ilie posted the list of people who have C-access.
ghalad

Post by ghalad »

Any update on the changes? a whisper perhaps ?? at the moment mages and clerics sleep peacefully without a care or worry for those pesky scouts!
A happy person may not have the best of everything, but makes the best of everything.
vurv

Post by vurv »

What about scouts being given the ability to spike doors open/shut or disabling locks so keys wont work?
Jahara

Post by Jahara »

Code: Select all

Message 2308 : Updates (Ilie)
Written on Tue Jun 17 10:40:41 2008

Modifications:

o Charmies that kill will cause alignment modifications for their master
  no matter if they are grouped or not, and no matter where the leader is.
o If you are slept on water you will wake up again rather quickly if you have
  to swim.
o Darkness now snuffs snuffable lit items on the ground, not only in equipment
o Added who uruk, who olog, and other Ainur´s invisibility level
o Let people in room see when one player wakes another.
o Fix crash when character has zero mana
o Fixed the bug with Istari not levelling when at 0 exp and 0 tp to lev.
o Typo-fixed a message in the fire breath spell.
o Allow all stunned characters to eventually die

- Ilie
Phantasm

Post by Phantasm »

OMG my lvl 37 thief is now a useless piece of a crap.
Nobbs

Post by Nobbs »

Ilie wrote:We don't want to spend too much time balancing what we have though, we really want to get MUME IX out this year, with a lot of new skills, spells, +++.
Just curious... Any news on this? At least still work going on on this front?
ciúin

Post by ciúin »

After three years, I think it's safe to say, "it's dead, Jim".
Breaux

Post by Breaux »

So what happened? were there "more changes to come"? What happened to the "bright future ahead"? i see no positive changes to scout for years.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Ilie had to leave, so he couldn't finish what he had in plans and intended to finish.
Alian

Post by Alian »

Andróg wrote:Ilie had to leave, so he couldn't finish what he had in plans and intended to finish.
Couldn't someone else like... Finish his plans or was it all a big secret only known to him?
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Alian wrote:
Andróg wrote:Ilie had to leave, so he couldn't finish what he had in plans and intended to finish.
Couldn't someone else like... Finish his plans or was it all a big secret only known to him?
It was... well, neither.

I obviously have very little or no inside information about this (being only Ms and all that), but from what I gather I think it was kind of a case of "when one piece of the chain breaks, the whole chain becomes useless". Or well, that sounds clumsy in English, but I hope you get what I mean. Having an active coding Arata in charge of it all kept things going. After he had to leave, it all fragmented into smaller separate plans and projects and because of this many of the things he had promised or planned didn't get done.

After all, the main rule of MUME building still is: if you want something done, do it yourself. This has its good sides and its bad sides, but that tends to be the way it is.