Safespots

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Gwendolyn

Safespots

Post by Gwendolyn »

In my opinion, the current lineup of so-called "safe spots", i.e. strong mobs allied to one side located within closeables should be revised. For example, the inn east of Bree bordering the Old East Road is located next to a white city within a relatively safe ('Rangerland') area. The innkeeper is a unneccesary strong mob that provides safety, well, atleast versus solo players or small groups.
It was a good move to close down most legendhomes in player-killing areas, now should be the time to clean up the game some more and remove some of those no_fun places.
Wobbler

Re: Safespots

Post by Wobbler »

I generally agree with the principle, but that innkeeper is a very poor example, since being just a single, non-hunting mob, it is far from impossible for a solo darkie to finish off a low opponent who seeks refuge in there.
However, such places as LB fortress, DT, VT and Brolg have too strong garrisons. Even the Ohurk Chieftain's guards might do with a downgrade, although that place is not safe for a solo darkie up against 2 opponents either. Also, the rock in the misty wetlands near Wuda could have a demon wolf or two removed and Amanrandil could have an acolyte or two removed.

Khuzur, on the other hand, might do with a slight upgrade (or call it bugfix) to his behaviour mudlle, as he likes walking around in the sun despite being a Troll. He ought to be changed so he stays inside his house at day, perhaps with a compensation of one Orc mob removed from each group of guards - personally, however, I fear portals more than Orc mobs when chasing a solo darkie inside Khuzur's house as a puke.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Fankil

Post by Fankil »

As far as I know olog-hais are immune to the sun, and the "who olog" is actually incorrect, as our playerbase of trolls are not actual ologs, same goes for uruk-hais. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Fankil - Servant of Morgoth (Shaper)
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

The innkeeper kills any orc in about 4-5 hits. Should be a bit too much even from the sight of a puke-only player. :-/
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I've killed pukes in there as a solo Orc...
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

When playing darkie I very much prefer if some whitie runs to the Forsaken Inn instead of running inside Bree (not very far between so quite rare that someone enters due to lack of moves). Inside the inn it is possible to kill someone while inside Bree it is much less so.
Snarp

Post by Snarp »

I like the strength of all the safespots around rd, priest/lb/cara/brolg/ohurk/drooling/dt. They arn't too tough and pretty easy for certain classes to solo.
Gwendolyn

Post by Gwendolyn »

I'm not talking against the fortresses here, most towers and forts prove to be nice playgrounds for the racewars, some being stronger than others (Dark Tower for example could be downgraded a little).
I don't think an innkeeper not located within a city should be able to turn tides so strongly though, if it was to be a fortress with guardmobs, it should be implemented as one.
Elemmakil

Post by Elemmakil »

Brolg is not that much of a safespot at all.

And someone please get rid of Ohruk "hill". :(
Azazello

Post by Azazello »

of course everyone with haf a clue finished off pukes in forsaken inn. the dead is that this awfully powerful mob is totally out of context.
Elmir

Post by Elmir »

Azazello wrote:of course everyone with haf a clue finished off pukes in forsaken inn. the dead is that this awfully powerful mob is totally out of context.
But there re-heeeee-heeeaallyyyyy are too many safespots in this game. Unless you have sneak. Which was changed. Excellent.
Kalev
Vala (Mudller)

Post by Kalev »

Some of the weaker 'safespots', for example the demons' cave in Eregion, add quite a lot to game play. Especially if there aren't enough players on in your side, sometimes those places are really the only way to fight stronger opponent(s). Reducing the number of those places would also reduce the number of kills in pk, I think.

If you were playing whitie and the BN you were chasing ran to Demons' cave to try fighting back, would you like that? I know at least that I would, because it is much better than having your opponent just run away (or rent). And if I was the BN, I might try fighting even 3 not-so-well organized enemies in there, whom I could try splitting up. On the other hand, just one clueful whitie mage can finish off a low darkie in there, the mobs aren't strong enough to prevent that.

I'd strongly oppose removal of such places, because it would make especially solo pk much less interesting. In contrary to the first poster, I think those places add fun to playing, and should definitely stay.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

I think noone talks about "weak" safe spots, since if they are weak they, well, are no real safe-spots. As I see it, the real problem are the strong safe-spots (that are real safe-spots).

As Ford of Isen, Lorien (arrows), to a certain degree entire Fangorn, Innkeepers being extremely strong (> level 15 or whatever), etc.
Elemmakil

Post by Elemmakil »

Unless you stink, it's impossible to die at demons...
Mhoghedin

Post by Mhoghedin »

Elemmakil wrote:Unless you stink, it's impossible to die at demons...
I killed you there once I think! Its logged!

And thats not true btw, 1 cleric and 1 warr can take all 3 + a solo bn in there :) All they have to do is spam in and block, I've died plenty there vs. fastlinked people.
Formerly a dastardly pirate of the Western Sea, he now contents
himself with rowing around the Greyflood of Tharbad in a canoe.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Over 1000 whities have been sent to Davey Jones' Locker.
Alantir

Post by Alantir »

Safe-spots is usually where the most intense fights take place.

Even if it's frustrating that the near moveless foe you just hunted for 10 zones got into a safe-spot, I still prefer them being there, just for the sake of potentional fights.

Of course if they get too many the concept loses its charm, but I'm certain we're not there yet.
dianos

Post by dianos »

Wobbler wrote:I generally agree with the principle, but that innkeeper is a very poor example, since being just a single, non-hunting mob, it is far from impossible for a solo darkie to finish off a low opponent who seeks refuge in there.
However, such places as LB fortress, DT, VT and Brolg have too strong garrisons. Even the Ohurk Chieftain's guards might do with a downgrade, although that place is not safe for a solo darkie up against 2 opponents either. Also, the rock in the misty wetlands near Wuda could have a demon wolf or two removed and Amanrandil could have an acolyte or two removed.

Khuzur, on the other hand, might do with a slight upgrade (or call it bugfix) to his behaviour mudlle, as he likes walking around in the sun despite being a Troll. He ought to be changed so he stays inside his house at day, perhaps with a compensation of one Orc mob removed from each group of guards - personally, however, I fear portals more than Orc mobs when chasing a solo darkie inside Khuzur's house as a puke.
In my opinion, all of your examples are poor. LB fort, DT and VT are all captureable strategic outposts. That makes them interesting hotspots for battles. As for Brolg, that place gets raided all the damn time. There must be at least a few pukes who don't think it is too strong. I find it hard to consider Brolg as a safespot when Rivendell is right next door. I don't know; maybe it's just me, but I reckon Brolg and all of the captureable outposts are fine.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

A positive thought about "safespots"... have you ever considered them "honeypots"?

Be thankful for safespots instead of complaining about. Since with "safespots", you know where your enemy will run. He is wounded, he thinks he cannot make it, thus he runs to a place where he think he is not safe, but safer. Or he thinks he needs better chances to fight you, thus he runs to a place that suits him better.
You now have a better chance to know where he is, how it looks there, you can fight him.

If there was no safespot, you'r enemy would not go there. He'd go to a random place where you probably could not find him as quickly!
Edvard

Post by Edvard »

A tiny start would be to remove the patrols outside brolg, at least reduce them to 1 patrol.