Possible Effects of Reducing Parrysplit

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Wobbler

Possible Effects of Reducing Parrysplit

Post by Wobbler »

A recent thread by Elmir inspired me to ponder what would happen if the parrysplitting effects of fighting multiple opponents was reduced.
For instance, if slashed by an arbitrary value of three quarters (a linear modifier to a non-linear system, probably not a very good actual implementation), the effective defence of someone with 60 db + 100 pb would be 160 against 1 opponent (i.e. no change here), 147 against 2 opponents (effective pb reduced by 50/4), 143 against 3 opponents (67/4) and 141 against 4 opponents (75/4).

These are some positive effects I have thought of myself:
* Some very strong characters might prefer using tower shields rather than bejewelled shields. This is not very profitable today, since the pb gain will often be eaten by parrysplit and loss of db.
* Some weaker characters might opt to wear lighter armour in order to increase their db. This is not very profitable today, since parrysplit will lead to being hit frequently anyway when fighting multiple opponents.

And some negative effects:
* XP group dynamics will be affected, since low-ob groupmembers will be less able to hit high-defence mobiles thanks to parrysplit.
* The relative value of mercenaries and pets for lowbies will be decreased for the same reason.

Unaligned:
* Any solo character will last longer against multiple hitting opponents (although it will have no effect on 1 vs 1 fights nor against a group of casters); this can be seen as both good or bad, depending on the situation.
* There could be a polarisation increase between damage-dealing high-ob warriors and buffing high-defence warriors. Good or bad, this could just aswell be negated by the fact that the high ob automatically gives high pb (which now would be split less and thus give better defence) and most ob-aligned warriors have a large amount of hps.

What other effects would be likely?
Edvard

Re: Possible Effects of Reducing Parrysplit

Post by Edvard »

While I think that new changes should make it easier to die, I feel like that can be taken care of in other ways. I like this idea alot!
lens

Post by lens »

Lets say 5 mob zorc patrol is fighting a torc patrol, typical group combat or is it? You have mobs beating on one mob on one side, 5 mobs beating on one on the other, there is no way that would work, or they would even get hits in. So two 5 v 1 battles, instead of the far more likely five 1 v 1, or whatever other combinations. I like wobblers idea, and would also like to see a more dynamic group combat system, with more complex combat, and greater los limitations. Of course it would break the game as most mobs are way to strong to be put 1v1 on a mage etc.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I came up with a possible new formula:
The second person to engage reduces effective pb by 20% (not 20 pb), the third by 10% and each beyond that by 5%.
With a nominal pb of 120%, someone fighting 2 opponents will then have 96 effective pb (60 today), or 84 against 3 opponents (40 today), or 78 against 4 opponents (30 today), or 60 against 7 mobs (17 today).

Would this be going too far?
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
wilderon

Post by wilderon »

this is actually an area i would love to help develop. defense doesnt mean anything in the game now as far as i can tell. 92 abs 165 defense for my ob warrior yet fighting two level 25 plus trolls i get absolutely pounded if both get engaged. aragorn fought many orcs by himself parrying lots of hits. gimli was a fucking machine! very adept at defending himself. i think db and pb should be changed so they are more valid points to judge your pk or xp readiness. maybe lower the actual numbers but give them some validity. i dont know just my random ramblings.
Puke Lords: Beltar Avid Ballin Carltan Kamil Tevrak Rabble Langdin Wilderon

Evil Lords: Citan Wort Wilt Curt Ebonix Decimation
Aglach

Post by Aglach »

wilderon wrote:this is actually an area i would love to help develop. defense doesnt mean anything in the game now as far as i can tell. 92 abs 165 defense for my ob warrior yet fighting two level 25 plus trolls i get absolutely pounded if both get engaged. aragorn fought many orcs by himself parrying lots of hits. gimli was a fucking machine! very adept at defending himself. i think db and pb should be changed so they are more valid points to judge your pk or xp readiness. maybe lower the actual numbers but give them some validity. i dont know just my random ramblings.
I can't say I disagree. I have parry nearly maxxed and I get hit contstantly by mobs much lower than me. If you have this skill very high, it should be difficult for one person to hit you. It should sort of hard for two to hit you. That being said, maybe I should just train it half way and absorb.... I'm still trying to figure that out.