Question about mobdeath penalty (not complaint)

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Aglach

Question about mobdeath penalty (not complaint)

Post by Aglach »

Last night me and another char had the learning experience of getting mobdeath-ed by Ferny (he repopped 5 minutes after we did him in and we were try.) Anyway, I lost a level, etc. Does this penalty also affect "trained" stats? My Str and Con are one point lower than they were before I died. THese were stats I had "trained" up so to speak.

Is this normal? Will they go back? Just wondering. Not much I can do about it :)

Ag
Wobbler

Re: Question about mobdeath penalty (not complaint)

Post by Wobbler »

Are you quite certain it is not due to ageloss?
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Mobdeath means losing a level and also losing age . At 30 age you will get like + 1 or 2 strength ( depends on your race) but after you mobdie your age will drop to 18 old ( depends on race and class ) which means -1 or 2 strength

Type help age? , to see the affect of age on your stats :p
Aglach

Post by Aglach »

I didn't even look at my age. That would probably explain it. Thanks, ya'll.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

I remember, I also died inside ferny after repop when I was newbie :p . The trick is to type open door and flee out . Ferny don't follow you outside when you flee ...
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Yeah I think everyone has died due to a repop sometime or another...
Aglach

Post by Aglach »

Yep, it was my age... I'm 18 again. Took two days to recover the XP. I'll have to remember "open door". ;)
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

I suggest that you make some alias for "open exit", oe or oo or something short and easy to remember. It will work for all non-hidden doors, with a direction added at the end it will also work with more than one non-hidden door in the room. For hidden doors you have to spell the name out, so when you enter through some hidden door check the door name from the inside as the first thing you do incase you later need to open it.

Also be wary of entering a single room with mob(s) you can't handle easily when it has a locked door, if the zone resets that door could close and lock leaving you locked in with the mob(s) you can't easily handle. Also don't lay down to sleep in a room with an assassin or a robber, they can and will backstab you! (I died that way with a level 14 caster once, I found it extremely hilarious so I didn't mind the exp-loss :)
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Yes Indeed the command "open exit" is better :p since you don't have to spell the doorname ( open door , open gate, open bleudoor ... ect) .

I have a question :p. Is it forbidden to use hotkeys to open / close exit in Pk situation?
Lolindir

Post by Lolindir »

Why is there a mob death age reset and not a PK death age reset?
Lolindir on MUME
Barathor on MUME and LOTRO
{MySpace}-{NetVibes}
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

I guess no one will pk if it means age loss for each death :p
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

You are allowed to use hotkeys that do most things as long as they don't do any of this:
* Automatically change the command executed by a hotkey based on output from the game.
* Automatically change the content of a variable used by a hotkey based on output from the game.
* Produce spam. (Ex. Sending "yell hi!" 20 times.)
* Emulate game output. (Ex.: "emote leaves east.")

That's very possibly not an exhaustive list, but I think I included the most important things. With the first two issues it's not the hotkey itself that is illegal but rather the action that bound the key or set the variable. The two last issues aren't specific for hotkeys, they are illegal no matter how you do them.

So binding hotkeys to do "open exit"/"close exit" is perfectly fine, so is binding keys to do "open <door_variable>"/"close <door_variable>" as long as you set the variable door_variable manually.
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

Yes I have a hotkey that works that way :p

-at first I set the door name example :

I type do gate

-Then I just hit F7 for : open gate then F8 for : close gate
Lolindir

Post by Lolindir »

Ortansia wrote:I guess no one will pk if it means age loss for each death :p
That's true if you are actively engaging in pk. But if you are not and you are just doing your own questing, etc., being killed in a random pk encounter should not be that different than being killed by the mewlip in the marshes, IMHO.
Lolindir on MUME
{MySpace}-{NetVibes}
Caerroil
Bug Hunter

Post by Caerroil »

The difference is that mobs are highly predictable, at least compared to players. You won't run into a black uruk patrol (big nasty group of mobs) while doing Bill Ferny, but 10 trolls or 3 orcs (of whities if you are playing darkie) or something might come and kill you. Also MUME is very much a PK MUD, and as such you can't have too harsh penalties for dying (even though MUME has fairly harsh penalties for a PK MUD).
androg

Post by androg »

Caerroil wrote:I suggest that you make some alias for "open exit", oe or oo or something short and easy to remember.
I've always preferred "op" as the "open exit" alias. Simply because o and p stand next to each other on the keyboard! ;)
Ortansia

Post by Ortansia »

androg wrote:
Caerroil wrote:I suggest that you make some alias for "open exit", oe or oo or something short and easy to remember.
I've always preferred "op" as the "open exit" alias. Simply because o and p stand next to each other on the keyboard! ;)
Nice idea :p , I didn't think about it . My alias for open exit is ox but op is better and faster :)
Edvard

Post by Edvard »

Lolindir wrote:
That's true if you are actively engaging in pk. But if you are not and you are just doing your own questing, etc., being killed in a random pk encounter should not be that different than being killed by the mewlip in the marshes, IMHO.
Since MUME is a highly pk oriented game, and a large majority of the playerbase spend most of their time pking, it would be extremly painful to loose your age in every pk death.
Lolindir

Post by Lolindir »

Edvard wrote:
Lolindir wrote:
Since MUME is a highly pk oriented game, and a large majority of the playerbase spend most of their time pking, it would be extremly painful to loose your age in every pk death.
Understood. But then, why penalize the non-pk minority with age-loss on top of xp-loss and possibly eq-loss after a mob death? Not complaining here, just asking for the rationale.
Lolindir on MUME
{MySpace}-{NetVibes}
Edvard

Post by Edvard »

I totally agree. Mobdeath is punished too hard as it is if you ask me.