Too many skills, Not enough Pracs

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
Vortenos

Too many skills, Not enough Pracs

Post by Vortenos »

I'm looking for some advice for my 15th lvl mage. I know earthquake, burning hands, and lightning bolt pretty well... but should I learn fireball or colour spray next. Eventually I'll have both but in the time being I have only a limited amount of Pracs. Maybe also I could just train off enchant (which I have maxed for the level) until higher and concentrate on the offensive spells? Thoughts please.
All extremists should be shot.
Peapend

Re: Too many skills, Not enough Pracs

Post by Peapend »

You should at least either max earthquake or bolt before you go onto colour spray/fireball. Max earthquake to solo quake xp, or bolt if you group a lot.(both is probably best before those 2 offensive spells). I would then say practice colour spray first as its usuable first and can provide valuable xp against undead, like in fnost.
Vortenos

Post by Vortenos »

Peapend wrote:max earthquake or bolt
Does max mean get all the pracs as I think it means? So that my skill is over 100%?
All extremists should be shot.
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Yes, max means you spend pracs until no guildmaster can teach you anymore.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

For group xp, the most important mage spell is sleep.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Ulixes

Post by Ulixes »

I'd say go for max store, max quake and get full fine metal eq if you are solo wanderer, else use bolt/spray and light eq for group xp. And I wouldn't take sleep spell before lev 21 or so, because if it is not efficient (like all spells at low levels) it's just a waste of mana.

Practice only spells that are at least 3 levels below your character level. And i don't see the point in (max)practice enchant before hero level, when you can get staff. Any mage or even cleric can max chant for you at legend with around ~3 pracs in good aligned zone.

br,t
dianos

Post by dianos »

Wobbler wrote:For group xp, the most important mage spell is sleep.
Maybe it's because I've only played bn mages, but in my opinion 'sleep' is much less useful than several mage spells. Of course, 'armour' is the most important mage spell for any kind of play. 'lightning bolt' and 'fireball' seem more useful for group xp, and 'charm' and 'earthquake' are better for solo xp. 'store' is important for general use... 'sleep' doesn't really get a mention on my personal list of important spells.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

If I were buffing Muranog, for instance, I would rather have you sleep the blacktrolls than fireball them. The same goes for patrol leaders, dire wolves, etc in Moria and many mobs elsewhere.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.