What targets should I be going for?

Old MUME discussions.

Moderator: Builders

Forum rules
The posts in this forum should be related to MUME.
thout

What targets should I be going for?

Post by thout »

I'm currently level 9 warrior and was just wondering where you guys usually go around these levels? I've been hitting the tougher animals (ox, ibex, wolves) and some of the easier humanoids around Fornost. Are there other mobs I should be hitting for leveling? Where do you guys go around these levels?

btw, I'm only familiar with the general bree area and everything North of Bree. ;)
Jahara

Re: What targets should I be going for?

Post by Jahara »

brown bears, ruffians, robbers, thugs should be great for you
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

Your first priority should be to expand your area knowledge, even at the cost of your life.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Chark

Post by Chark »

*Agree* Wobbler. When you are beginning to get not so much of xp on the same mobs, it's time to change the area and mobs you are xping on. If you want to make it "safe" way, there is lots of xp towards Grey Havens for that level. Wolves, oxes, brown bears, robbers and thugs are good xp. Just don't let yourself go too low on hps and mps and you should be fine almost anywhere. What I mean with that, is that when you have hard time killing a mob, it's obviously too tough. But if you still want to do it, don't risk your life "for that last hit", just sleep full after you are wounded or so. Mob death painfully slows down the leveling process. Sometimes in areas with lots of aggressive mobs you can get sort of "ping-ponged" and that can result in death too. So area knowledge is very important, especially at low levels I would say.

But when I was newbie, I enjoyed exploring new areas tremendously. Sometimes it did lead to death, but IMO it's part of learning process.
wiseman

Post by wiseman »

Also keep in mind that you can use Mercenaries to help with mobs that you wouldn't normally be able to kill solo.
thout

Post by thout »

Ya I'm always searching Bree and Fornost for mercs. Sometimes finding them is annoying though.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Uuugh! So much bad advice from experienced people, I'm confused. Telling a lvl9 to go for robbers is like asking them to mobdie. (A lvl9 can solo a robber only perhaps if he has full shining + some mighty artefact, otherwise not really..) So, definitely avoid robbers. Bandits, ruffians, thieves, even brigands - definitely; that's different, but robbers are too tough at that level.

Whether you can handle brown bears depends a lot on your equipment and weapon-class. In full metal with warsword you'll do fine against brown bears, in chains with some slasher you'll fail horribly. :)

Other than that the advice offered is good: look around for new mobs in new areas to hunt and kill. Generally at lvl9 you should be able to handle not just the weaker wolves (grey wolves), but majority of the wolves. Except werewolves! Stay away from werewolves until lvl12 or so. But huge black wolves should be easy. Also look for funguses. Giant and black funguses should be easy kills as well.

And generally - use "con(sider) X" a lot, it gives you a good idea of what your chances are against a specific opponent.
Chark

Post by Chark »

Regarding to robber, I only copied Jahara, it's not my fault :lol:

However what I meant was different human thief kinda mobs. One should soon find if it's too hard or not.
I also recommend consider command, but sometimes it can be misleading. I definitely want that needle...
Timodeus
Arata

Post by Timodeus »

Consider works very nicely on levels up to 15. In general: If you can kill a mob "without greater problems" it's right the mob you should be fighting with. If it drains too much of your mana/HPs you might want to look for easier targets.

All in all is GH a good area, but beware of lions (not young mountain lions, those are not very strong). I also suggest you run around some in GH, shire, Bree and from there towards the north to Fornost and kill all the wolves you find along the way. You probably will die but you also will learn a lot around the areas that will be your main travel-areas for a while. If you are a warrior, you can handle a lot once you have good armours but no matter what class you play: Try to not to become too used to your eq. :)
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I disagree, Timodeus. The consider command is close to worthless at lower levels than 15 too.
I have been beaten by mobiles considered easy when having decent equipment and killed mobiles considered hard while almost only wearing a newbie kit.

I also disagree regarding the areas, I think he should expand in all directions from Bree, with focus to the south and the east. After all, it is east and south of Bree he will spend most of his time in the future and where he is most likely to encounter *enemies*. While there are a few decent xp mobiles unique to the areas west of the Brandywine Bridge, that is mostly a TP area (and home to craven bunnyhuggers who simply don't dare go into areas where there is a slight chance that they might encounter enemies) and not half as important to know as, say, the outlay of the road between Bree and Rivendell. Of course, this assumes that he will one day own a legend character, which does not seem unlikely.
Politicians are wise and benevolent and will gladly sacrifice themselves for the common good. Anyone who implies that there might exist dishonest politicians is obviously a terrorist who should be locked up indefinitely without a trial.
Chark

Post by Chark »

It seems level 8 warrior in leather was able to solo 2 robbers in row. I had to test it just to prove Androg wrong. :geek:
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Especially Wobbler, but Chark as well in his "testing" are totally misunderstanding the situation here:

There is a newbie asking for advice.

If we look at things from that perspective, then:

1. Just ignore Wobbler's advice. It's a lot of nonsense. There's the time for learning and there's the time for meeting *enemies*. But the two are not the same. A lvl ~8 warrior is certainly not looking for the latter. Wobbler is just spreading the very mentality here that's wrong. I don't see anything particularly wrong with walking around gh-bm if you're lvl8, and if you think that's wrong, then, quite frankly, you're just being dumb.

2. Chark, I was replying to a newbie. I'm sure that an experience player can think of a way how to kill high level mobs even as a low level character, but I had in mind the needs and abilities of a newbie. I'd be very sceptical about a newbie being able to pull off that robber-slaughter. :)
pinion

Post by pinion »

Agreed with Androg. You guys seriously forget what it is like to be first time MUMer, let alone a first time MUDer? What about a first time MUDer that barely plays games? It takes time to build those leet skillz, start people off slow let them grow at their own pace and not at yours.
Chark

Post by Chark »

I also think that there is nothing wrong in going to GH area for xp as lowbie/newbie. Why not use the huge area you have available.

About the robber part, you are right that normal hack/slash tactic isn't going to work out very well :) Just wanted to say that it's possible, no need for mega eq. Although it depends very much on what kind of stats and especially skills your character has. Still I do agree that it may be bad idea for newbies.
Wobbler

Post by Wobbler »

I remember when I was a newbie; in fact, while cleaning out some drawers today, I found some old printed out maps of places like Bree, Fornost and BM (the town maps, as they looked in newbie kits back in -96). Amongst the most exciting sessions of all times are the first time I walked alone from GH to Bree and was attacked by a boar on the way; when I fought *a Troll* west of Bree at level 5 (bashed it twice and lived, so with some hindsight it was obviously a newbie); when I, at level 10, followed two future labmates to what was probably somewhere around Icedoor/Redhorn and xped there for a few hours (and later that night was stabbed dead by Wrath in Rivendell with Ford frozen); and, of course, when I got my first pkill around level 17 or so, following Sokrates who had gathered a bunch of newbies in Bree to fight Golfimbul's group and Suberp died in the first clash (although I died in a second clash a couple of minutes later).

If I had, like some former players did as newbies a couple of years ago, hung only west of the Brandywine until legend level and then not dared go east nor south for fear of losing my precious first ever obtained pieces of legend equipment, I very much doubt I would still be playing today.

In addition, area knowledge west of the Brandywine is not crucial to tping nor xping, as it is safe to be lost for a while.
Andróg

Post by Andróg »

Wobbler, I understand what you're aiming at here, but the keyword in your posts is "following". I would not suggest a newbie of low level to wander around abr alone. Very likely you'll end up dying and losing your equipment (and we all know that this is an eq-mud...). Make that char a hero+ scout and that newbie should definitely adventure new areas. Anyway, back to the original point: any place is ok-to-go if you have a good leader, it's a completely different matter if you're alone. Being adventurous is great, but suicidal is not. :)