This is a brief outline of some of the basic commands that are used in MUME. Further help is available for each of them by typing
help <topic>, an example being
help look. Most of these commands will be self-evident once you have seen the name, but please read or at least skim the help on them. The FAQ files provide help on related commands to those mentioned below and explain solutions to common problems such as getting equipment and wearing it.
- This is used to look at people, objects, exits, creatures, or rooms. It will provide a description on what is being looked at if one is available.
This command can be used to look at an
object, person, creature,
or room. It sometimes provides more detailed information than
LOOK, for example when used on a person or a container.
- Shows a list of the items which you are wearing or holding. This will include your clothing and anything which you are holding in your hands, as well as things being worn on your belt.
- Shows a list of the items which you are not wearing or holding in your hands, but which you are carrying with you.
Picks up a weapon in your hand so that it can be used. Example:
Puts on an article of clothing or armor.
wear shieldwill put a shield on the arm that you are not using for your weapon; that hand must be free (not holding anything). You can also
wear alland wear things on your belt.
wear lantern beltwill put a lantern on your belt and light it.
- This command shows all the exits out of the current room you are in, except for hidden exits. In general usage, even outdoor areas are called rooms; not only the rooms inside a house.
You can move between rooms with several
commands. For example
if you type
exitsand it lists an exit to the east, then you can type
eastto go in that direction. Some exits might need the climb skill to climb up a tree, or that you have a boat to go into a lake. You can abbreviate these commands:
E, and so on.
These are commands
used to communicate with other people. These are the preferred ones, there
are some others but these are simple to use and can reach most people you
might want to.
SINGare global channels, which means anyone who wants to can hear them anywhere.
SAYis for people in the same room as you.
TELLis used to talk to one particular person no matter where they are. Read
HELP FAQ5and the help files for more help.
NOTE: You will only hear narrates and songs from the side which you are currently playing on. Orcs cannot hear narrates made by Elves, for example.
These allow you to
sleepand thereby regain your health (hits) after a battle, movement points (after moving) , or mana (used to
castspells) at a faster rate than you would if you were standing.
restor fall down you will need to
standbefore performing certain actions such as walking or fighting.
You can drink out of a
fountain by typing
drink fountainor drink out of a cup such as are in the newbie kits by typing
drink cup. To eat some bread you can type
eat bread. If you are hungry or thirsty you will not be able to recover from your exertions (such as fighting) as quickly. Read
help FAQ3on how to fill cups, and
help FAQ4on how to hunt for food.
This command gives the present time to the best of your
ability to guess. It is
not possible to judge the time of
day inside a cave or
shop but you will still be
able to check the date, and other information. For information on
months and such type
This command gives you information on your character, such as age,
experience and other
STATcommands show quick useful subsets of this information.
This gives information on your current hits,
It is not accessible while in
combat, but the
show you some approximations
*# HP:Finewhen you have been damaged lightly.
- This command shows things like OB (offensive bonus), DB (dodge bonus), PB (parry bonus) and is available during combat. It also show things like how much you need to gain a level, and if you are affected by spells, poisons, wounds, or diseases.
This command shows what
spells you have learnt, how
well you mastered them, and how many
practice sessions you can
still use at a guild to
improve your abilities.
In the presence of a guild
PRACTICEshows what is available to be learned, and how hard it will be to learn it. Read
HELP PRACTICEfor more information on this very important command. Check the guild boards (
help FAQ5), libraries and other sources of information to decide what to practice.
- This command shows you various things you have achieved or not achieved. It helps you keep track of things some things you should try out, quests you have completed, places you have visited, etc.
This command lets you keep
track of your active and
completed quests by using
HELP QUESTSfor more information.
You use this to consider if it would be a wise
attack a creature. For
CONSIDER spidermight tell you that killing a tiny spider would be easy indeed;
CONSIDER Elrondmight tell you that you must be mad to even think of attacking him.
This is only an approximate result and does not take into account your equipment and skill in combat.
CHANGE WIMPY <NUMBER>
This command allows you to set an amount of hits that you will try and
automatically flee at. For
example you might have 30 hits and decide that you do not to get into a
serious fight. So you set your
wimpy to 20 by typing
CHANGE WIMPY 20. This means you will automatically try to flee after you go below 20 hits. Not every attempt at fleeing is successful, so you might want to
help change wimpy
This command causes you to
attack a creature or
help JUSTICEbefore killing a citizen of a city, and
RULES PLAYER KILLINGbefore attacking another player.
- A very useful command when things are not going the way you had hoped or when attacked by an aggressive creature such as a black wolf. If it works you will flee the room you are in, leaving through a random exit. You might not be able to break contact with your enemy and flee the first time. Beware, some creatures such as wolves might decide to track you down for a distance before returning home if they haven't caught you.
HELPby itself you will see a list of commands broken up into sections such as for movement. The above is a list of some of the most common ones. While resting you might want to check the help on other commands.
Topics above covered with help files:
LOOK, EXAMINE, EXITS, NORTH / EAST / SOUTH / WEST / UP / DOWN, REST, NARRATE, SAY, SING, YELL, SLEEP, WAKE, STAND, DRINK, EAT, TIME, INFO, SCORE, STAT, PRACTICE, CONSIDER, CHANGE WIMPY, FLEE, KILLHere is a further list of topics you may want to read:
- To regenerate your health, moves, and mana in between fights:
- To advance your character's level and its "values":
- EXPERIENCE, TPS or "TRAVEL POINTS", GUILD
- About how your your character interacts with the world:
- SOCIALS, ROLEPLAY, JUSTICE, ALIGNMENT
- There is also a set of RULES on MUME:
rulesfor a list of the RULES files covering what your character can and can't do, such as multiplaying; read them by typing
|See also:||FAQ1, FAQ2, FAQ3, FAQ4, FAQ5, ADVANCED, FEATURES, RULES|
Generated on Sun Sep 26 19:24:12 2021